OT: Winnipeg Ice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainUgly

27 Time World Champions
Apr 22, 2018
Really looking forward to their new rink being built. Was looking at season tickets 500+ are still available. I thought they sold out? A bunch of people must of backed out after they put down a deposit.

Last edited:

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
There is not point in having an affiliate when the players rights pretty much belong to some one else.

So 14/15 year olds have to go back to their respective bantam/midget clubs
16/17/18 year olds either go back to midget or whoever owns their Junior rights
Winnipeg has a lot to learn about major junior hockey, Joe. I hope the Ice do well but if Savoie doesn't report that is a huge miscalculation. I'm a little skeptical that these guys know what they are doing.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Are the Blues strictly going to be the affiliate for Winnipeg Ice prospects? I mean if I was 50 Below I would've bought an expansion team and gave them a name like 'Winnipeg Chill' or something. As much as I somewhat like the rebrand of the Blues, it doesn't make sense because their the 'Blues,' which also means their strictly blue jerseys and the teal in the jerseys don't count.

If they are, then I'd like to see the Wheat Kings have an MJHL affiliate, maybe partner with Virden or Neepawa.

But I hope to see the IcePlex get another expansion MJHL team for the other local Winnipeggers. It's all there. So the Blues can be a team strictly to develop potential future Winnipeg Ice prospects and another Winnipeg team can potentially go stag. I'd say three but I think I'd be going ahead of myself.
Don't count on another MJHL team in Winnipeg. 20 years ago there was 4 now it's down to one.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Winnipeg has a lot to learn about major junior hockey, Joe. I hope the Ice do well but if Savoie doesn't report that is a huge miscalculation. I'm a little skeptical that these guys know what they are doing.
Yeah, what the eff is going on with Savoie? He is a really, really big deal for this team. When they flew him out for a visit and then drafted him I assumed that everything was good. Now he's going to a USHL training camp and I don't know what to think.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Yeah, what the eff is going on with Savoie? He is a really, really big deal for this team. When they flew him out for a visit and then drafted him I assumed that everything was good. Now he's going to a USHL training camp and I don't know what to think.

They were trying to sell him on Winnipeg and took a chance at the draft. Who cares? One hotshot superstar (if he's that) isn't what makes a team good. Ask the Oilers.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
They were trying to sell him on Winnipeg and took a chance at the draft. Who cares? One hotshot superstar (if he's that) isn't what makes a team good. Ask the Oilers.
If he doesn’t sign wasting a number 1 overall pick is horrible asset management. Without a commitment that pick should have been spent on someone else or traded away for more picks. A new team in a crowded market can’t afford to be making mistakes like this. In my opinion they need to be following the Brandon model in that they need to ice a playoff team every year and try not to have to rebuild every 4 years

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
If he doesn’t sign wasting a number 1 overall pick is horrible asset management. Without a commitment that pick should have been spent on someone else or traded away for more picks. A new team in a crowded market can’t afford to be making mistakes like this. In my opinion they need to be following the Brandon model in that they need to ice a playoff team every year and try not to have to rebuild every 4 years

Nah, this is the perfect time to be screwing up. They're going to be in a honeymoon phase with junior fans here for a few years before people start staying away in droves, and screaming for the GM and/or coach to be fired. :laugh:

Reactions: wgpsensfan

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Savoie has an entire year to wait so I wouldn't get too freaked out yet. If he isn't at training camp next year then yes it will be a very big mistake.

Some inside info though. I am pretty sure they got told they had to take him no matter what at number 1 by the league.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Savoie has an entire year to wait so I wouldn't get too freaked out yet. If he isn't at training camp next year then yes it will be a very big mistake.

Some inside info though. I am pretty sure they got told they had to take him no matter what at number 1 by the league.

This sort of thing happens? Hmm, I wonder...

940-daryl-katz-bettman-8col.jpg

Daryl, you're taking Yakupov. Are we clear?

:DD

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
My big issue with the new rink being built practically nowhere is how difficult it will be to get there for people who don't have cars, or won't want to drive to the game because of traffic.

I think the space where the new Goodlife is projected to be a very good one because Rapid Transit won't be too far away and people will be able to get to the games in a much better way. Also nearby potential restaurants could be built there which is good for before and after the game.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
My big issue with the new rink being built practically nowhere is how difficult it will be to get there for people who don't have cars, or won't want to drive to the game because of traffic.

I think the space where the new Goodlife is projected to be a very good one because Rapid Transit won't be too far away and people will be able to get to the games in a much better way. Also nearby potential restaurants could be built there which is good for before and after the game.
That location is pretty terrible. Single lane in and out, not a lot of amenities. A lot of things need to go right for this team to work in a very crowed market place where the Jets take a lot of oxygen in the hockey conversation and media coverage.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
That location is pretty terrible. Single lane in and out, not a lot of amenities. A lot of things need to go right for this team to work in a very crowed market place where the Jets take a lot of oxygen in the hockey conversation and media coverage.

I think part of the reason for the location is that the land is less expensive to build on and it's easier to access for rural fans. A number of people have been craving for the WHL to come to Winnipeg so I don't think the team will have a problem attracting fans. I still think it's awesome that fans here will have the option of 3 levels of hockey to choose from depending on their income level and/or budget.

:jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad