OT: Winnipeg Ice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I find the Brandon Wheat Kings are slowly but quickly turning into an affiliate for Vegas, but not like as in a partnered affiliate. Although, Vegas can't draft every Wheat King that's in the draft, but Crim wanted to draft Mattheos when he was available. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Wheat Kings in the coming years in terms of the Golden Knights. But I know one season in the future like most of that team will be drafted by the Golden Knights. But also, it's why they took Krebs, because the Ice will face the Wheat Kings lots so that they could have a much better look at him.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I find the Brandon Wheat Kings are slowly but quickly turning into an affiliate for Vegas, but not like as in a partnered affiliate. Although, Vegas can't draft every Wheat King that's in the draft, but Crim wanted to draft Mattheos when he was available. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Wheat Kings in the coming years in terms of the Golden Knights. But I know one season in the future like most of that team will be drafted by the Golden Knights. But also, it's why they took Krebs, because the Ice will face the Wheat Kings lots so that they could have a much better look at him.

Was bound to happen when the owner of the Wheaties is the GM of the Knights. I think the MacCrimmon connection might be a reason why he has it for the Jets and tries to f*** us over every chance he gets.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Was bound to happen when the owner of the Wheaties is the GM of the Knights. I think the MacCrimmon connection might be a reason why he has it for the Jets and tries to **** us over every chance he gets.

He can f*** us over off the ice all he wants as long as we f*** them over on the ice, where it matters. f*** Vegas!

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

And this triggers something else that has been on my mind. Unless Winnipeg unexpectedly becomes part of the USA or Europe, it's pretty unlikely you're going to be seeing any ICE players drafted by the Jets. So, basically you're going out to watch and cheer on other teams' prospects. That's like when we had the Moose here as the Canucks farm team. Can't quite wrap my head around doing that. Kind of makes me hope the ICE suck because all these prospects turn out to be busts. Especially Krebs. #f***vegas :laugh:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
And this triggers something else that has been on my mind. Unless Winnipeg unexpectedly becomes part of the USA or Europe, it's pretty unlikely you're going to be seeing any ICE players drafted by the Jets. So, basically you're going out to watch and cheer on other teams' prospects. That's like when we had the Moose here as the Canucks farm team. Can't quite wrap my head around doing that. Kind of makes me hope the ICE suck because all these prospects turn out to be busts. Especially Krebs. #****vegas :laugh:

I love the WHL though so I'm going to likely catch a few games this season, second favourite league, and am an avid follower of it. I do see it's like following the Canucks in terms of prospects, but the better part is that it's not just one team it's going to be a big variety, plus when they start here you never know where they go. But they'll leave with Winnipeg as a memory.

But the Wheat Kings basically being the Golden Knights unofficial affiliate brings the rivalry with Winnipeg and Vegas up a notch. It'll be interesting to see how it changes the CHL, like how the Oshawa Generals were with the Bruins, now is it going to return?

I just see the Ice as a team that's going to develop to the highest extent and compete at the same time. What makes this team special now is how it's bound to be the best WHL program in the league. Kind of like Duke in terms of Basketball and Ohio State in terms of Football, and the U18 US Development Program in the USHL. It'll make players make their decision much easier to play for the Ice. It's also what's going to sell lots of tickets, not just because the tickets will be much cheaper than the Jets, I even think people are going to want to catch the Ice more than the Moose. In fact I'd rather see the Moose re-locate to Thunder Bay if they get the arena situation solved, or somewhere close but Thunder Bay is probably the best place to host an AHL team in Canada right now.

Last edited:

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
No surprise. ICE sign Teply and Kinder.

Teply just came off a 4 point game (2+2) vs Team Finland. Very excited about him. ICE should have a good one there. I have no idea what to expect out of Kinder.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Teply just came off a 4 point game (2+2) vs Team Finland. Very excited about him. ICE should have a good one there. I have no idea what to expect out of Kinder.

I guess he'll be a...

616AIHBbSqL._SX385_.jpg

:DD

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg

Looking at Kinder's stats he should have been drafted this past season. Seems like a scorer. Was ranked somewhere in the 100-150 range iirc.

Teply will probably pair up with Krebs and do a lot of damage. The Ice will be young this coming season but tons of talent on display.

Reactions: LainePeg

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Looking at Kinder's stats he should have been drafted this past season. Seems like a scorer. Was ranked somewhere in the 100-150 range iirc.

Teply will probably pair up with Krebs and do a lot of damage. The Ice will be young this coming season but tons of talent on display.

In my estimation they’re the second most talented team in the east division

Reactions: mazmin

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
And this triggers something else that has been on my mind. Unless Winnipeg unexpectedly becomes part of the USA or Europe, it's pretty unlikely you're going to be seeing any ICE players drafted by the Jets. So, basically you're going out to watch and cheer on other teams' prospects. That's like when we had the Moose here as the Canucks farm team. Can't quite wrap my head around doing that. Kind of makes me hope the ICE suck because all these prospects turn out to be busts. Especially Krebs. #****vegas :laugh:
Eventually someone will point out to Chevy that Canada still produces some pretty good players. Eventually...

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Yeah good year to be on the upward swing in the east. PA lost a tonne of talent this summer. Moose Jaw, Swift and Regina are rebuilding. Brandon is middle of the pack. To rank the east it's looking like..

Saskatoon
Winnipeg
PA
Brandon
Moose Jaw
Regina
Swift

I expect Saskatoon to win the division this year if they get Dach back, which is likely but not guaranteed.
But after this year the division is pretty much Winnipeg's for potentially the next 2 seasons pretty easily.

Only thing that could maybe change is if Moose Jaw manages to get Wallstedt to come over. I've talked to some people in the organization and was told he told them to take him in the expansion draft. Not sure why but apparently he likes his chances here. Him coming over is largely going to be determined on how he is treated in Lulea though and what he figures his best course of action is to get drafted high.

Reactions: LainePeg

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg

That's pretty exciting to hear. I wonder how far the Ice management can push their recruitment? Is this the London Knights for the WHL?

Holloway and Carter Savoie would be huge additions but they seem to have firm commitments to the NCAA. If Holloway signs could the Ice try to reacquire the rights to his former linemate Austin Wong? Would Wong ever forego a Harvard education for a chance at winning a Memorial Cup playing with a huge pile of 1st round draft picks? Or maybe they look to acquire the rights to Carter Savoie's Sherwood Park Crusaders teammate Michael Benning, who lead the AJHL in scoring for defencemen. He's a U of Denver recruit, so he too may want to bail if both Savoie's come to the Ice.

What kind of overage talent is this team going to pursue? Reece Harsch seems to have a spot on the blueline already. What about Peyton Krebs's brother Dakota? He broke out for the Hitmen last season and had a solid playoffs. Would the Ice be better off adding more overage defense to surround Lambos with veterans? Or are they lacking experience up front?

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Been told that Carter Savoie is 50/50 to play this year and it is very unlikely that Holloway commits

Here is a list of of all the players currently listed by the Ice(and every other WHL team)

Some interesting guys they listed this past year

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Been told that Carter Savoie is 50/50 to play this year and it is very unlikely that Holloway commits

Here is a list of of all the players currently listed by the Ice(and every other WHL team)

Some interesting guys they listed this past year

Why isn't Peyton Krebs on the list?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Starting this hockey season, all Winnipeg Ice games will stream on CJOB.com.

Additionally, almost all Saturday and Sunday games will be broadcast live on 680 CJOB.

Winnipeg Ice teams up with 680 CJOB for broadcast rights

Winnipeg Ice president and GM Matt Cockell and director of marketing Carly Edmundson on The Start - 680 CJOB - Omny.fm

5 years?!!! Is CJOB crazy? This takes the ICE straight to UFA. They should have gone for 8 years, or settled on a bridge contract. :sarcasm:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I'm assuming when they say stream, they mean audio stream. Any chance they do video streaming?

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
My biggest issue with the Ice is that it will be weird/difficult to cheer for a bunch of players who will end up playing against the Jets on different NHL teams in a year or two.

Reactions: QuietContrarian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad