OT: Winnipeg Ice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The GTA has about 5 million people. If the surrounding area is counted they get up to about 8 million. I don't think you need to stretch a point and count teams within a relatively short area. :laugh: How many teams in the City of Toronto proper, with its 2.7 mil?

If Moose avg 5000 attendance and $25 a seat for 40 games they take in 5 mil at the gate, + concessions, souveniers, etc. If they maintain a 25 man roster that avgs 100k salary, they spend 2.5 mil. I think they probably run pretty close to break even in the end.

That said, I would just as soon see them locate somewhere else, as long as it is a solid AHL market and not too far away. If I had to choose, I would rather have a successful WHL team.

Well within a big but not massive area, not sure exactly how many KM's total. There is the Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Marlies, Guelph Storm, Mississauga Steelheads, Hamilton Bulldogs, Kitchener Rangers and then about 17 Junior A/B teams. Just in Toronto proper they have the Leafs, Marlies and about 5 Junior A teams.

I think the Jets would even be willing to take a minor loss on the Moose as long as the Jets are turning a good enough profit to make up for that loss. Just for the reduced costs associated with travel and the convenience of having your farm team in the same building and city. I think more teams should try it this way. Especially Canadian teams. Own your Minor team, keep them in the same building, that you also own and reap the benefits.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I think the Jets would even be willing to take a minor loss on the Moose as long as the Jets are turning a good enough profit to make up for that loss.

Hmm, wasn't it about the time the Jets were looking at relocating their farm team that they decided the annual season ticket increase needed to jump from 3% to 5%?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well within a big but not massive area, not sure exactly how many KM's total. There is the Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Marlies, Guelph Storm, Mississauga Steelheads, Hamilton Bulldogs, Kitchener Rangers and then about 17 Junior A/B teams. Just in Toronto proper they have the Leafs, Marlies and about 5 Junior A teams.

I think the Jets would even be willing to take a minor loss on the Moose as long as the Jets are turning a good enough profit to make up for that loss. Just for the reduced costs associated with travel and the convenience of having your farm team in the same building and city. I think more teams should try it this way. Especially Canadian teams. Own your Minor team, keep them in the same building, that you also own and reap the benefits.

I agree. I expect the target is break even. As long as it is close they will continue the way it is.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Wheat Kings announced their season ticket costs for early birds. 479 for adults,425 senior,300 youth and 200 child. Plus if you have 2 more children then the tickets are only 99 dollars. 14 dollars a game for the adult. Hopefully when they get their new building we see similar pricing. I think they will have no problem filling up a rink at those prices
If I recall single seat for Wheat Kings games are about $30. Will Winnipeg support it at that price? What gets lost is that the Ice are not very good and there's a good chance their only decent player Krebs gets dealt. They probably won't be a Memorial Cup contender for at least 3 years. Also don't discount the effect that a Jets game on the same day, home or away will have on attendance. Jets on TV affects attendance to a lot of team not in Winnipeg.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I checked out the new Rink on McGillivary, it is a thing of beauty and I think of it much nicer than the IcePlex, even though it's a tad bit smaller with the two small rinks and the grand one. Also picked up and ICE hat and hoodie.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
ICE ANNOUNCE SEASON SEAT MEMBERSHIPS CAN BE PURCHASED FOR ONLY $45.75 PER MONTH

Below are the prices for 2019-2020 Winnipeg ICE season seat memberships:

TYPEMONTHLY MEMBERSHIP FEE
Season Seat Regular$45.75
Premium Seating$56.58
Premium Party Lounge$70.75
Premium Loge Seating$79.00
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
50 Below Sports + Entertainment announces capital improvement upgrades to Wayne Fleming Arena ahead of Winnipeg ICE inaugural season – Winnipeg Ice

WINNIPEG ICE SEASON SEAT SELECTION PROCESS BEGINS FRIDAY, MAY 10
Beginning at 11 a.m. Central Time (CT) on Friday, May 10, the seat selection process will begin for Winnipeg ICE season seat deposit holders.

2.-Party-Lounge-730x411.jpg

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
ICE ANNOUNCE SEASON SEAT MEMBERSHIPS CAN BE PURCHASED FOR ONLY $45.75 PER MONTH

Below are the prices for 2019-2020 Winnipeg ICE season seat memberships:

TYPEMONTHLY MEMBERSHIP FEE
Season Seat Regular$45.75
Premium Seating$56.58
Premium Party Lounge$70.75
Premium Loge Seating$79.00
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So $549 for a regular season ticket. $679 for premium seating (between the blue lines?).

For comparison, Brandon's "early bird" is $475 - plus they have the discounted child and senior tickets. I don't suppose the Ice will be able to swing deals like that until they're in their new arena, though....

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I checked out the new Rink on McGillivary, it is a thing of beauty and I think of it much nicer than the IcePlex, even though it's a tad bit smaller with the two small rinks and the grand one. Also picked up and ICE hat and hoodie.
Been there myself. Two thumbs up. They'll have to build a brand new facility behind it for the Ice's full-time home, though. Not enough seats in the NHL-sized rink, and there's no way to cram more seats in.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
The ICE will, like most other WHL teams, likely be marketed to families as a cheaper alternative to Jets games.
Hence, it will be even more difficult to unload unused tickets for STH (not my problem anymore).
However... I think the Ice will cost the Moose more than the Jets, as there's more of a cross-over market wise. I wonder what the parking will be like at Wayne Fleming during the season, though. There's no issue walking from Pembina to the Stadium to watch the Bombers, but it'll be too dang cold to do that for the Ice in February.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
50 Below Sports + Entertainment announces capital improvement upgrades to Wayne Fleming Arena ahead of Winnipeg ICE inaugural season – Winnipeg Ice

WINNIPEG ICE SEASON SEAT SELECTION PROCESS BEGINS FRIDAY, MAY 10
Beginning at 11 a.m. Central Time (CT) on Friday, May 10, the seat selection process will begin for Winnipeg ICE season seat deposit holders.

2.-Party-Lounge-730x411.jpg

I can't see this seat selection process going over well here. This is Winnipeg. We like being told, "these are your seats, take 'em or leave 'em". :sarcasm:

I think they should call that balcony along one side the Shooting Gallery. I can see a lot of premium seat holders getting a puck to the head if they don't put a protective shield in front of it.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Been there myself. Two thumbs up. They'll have to build a brand new facility behind it for the Ice's full-time home, though. Not enough seats in the NHL-sized rink, and there's no way to cram more seats in.

I believe that is the plan is it not?

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Where exactly is The new Ice arena going to be? I know somewhere on McGillvary ...,?

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
No mention of Moose playing some games at new arena or Wheat Kings versus Ice at Mts?

Heard that 3 months ago then quiet since

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Where exactly is The new Ice arena going to be? I know somewhere on McGillvary ...,?
Unknown. The likely spot is beside the Rink at McGillivray and Loudon. Ownership also owns other parcels of land in Winnipeg that might work.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Unknown. The likely spot is beside the Rink at McGillivray and Loudon. Ownership also owns other parcels of land in Winnipeg that might work.
I thought construction had already started?

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I thought construction had already started?

I drove by there earlier this week, nothing has been done yet.

According to Matt Cockell during his TSN 1290 interview, they're still working on getting the appropriate permits.

He still expects to have the new building ready to go by season 3.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Just met with a rep today about premium seating as well as partnerships. They told me that they expect the arena to be ready in year 3.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Really looking forward to a WHL Franchise..
Got priced out of Jets tickets when my group upgraded to Loge seats

Hoping a beer will be under $10.00..Take the wife and kid for a game a week and be reasonably priced entertainment for the winter.

Reactions: JetsNut

CaptainUgly

27 Time World Champions
Apr 22, 2018
I wonder how many Ice games will be televised next season. 1,600 tickets are all but gone it would be nice for the rest of us to be able to catch a game online or on TV

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I wonder how many Ice games will be televised next season. 1,600 tickets are all but gone it would be nice for the rest of us to be able to catch a game online or on TV
I doubt there will be many. Last season, Sportsnet only broadcast 6 WHL regular season games. The Pats seem to have a "regional" deal with Access Communications to broadcast some of their games in Saskatchewan. Not sure if there's a local cable company or station that would do the same for the Ice. Is there even a radio broadcasting deal yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad