OT: Winnipeg Ice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I doubt there will be many. Last season, Sportsnet only broadcast 6 WHL regular season games. The Pats seem to have a "regional" deal with Access Communications to broadcast some of their games in Saskatchewan. Not sure if there's a local cable company or station that would do the same for the Ice. Is there even a radio broadcasting deal yet?

Canadian sports networks would rather pick up US College hockey broadcasts over the CHL as that way they have no production costs, nothing says Canadian hockey more than a televised game between Rensselear and Quinnipiac!

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Hence, it will be even more difficult to unload unused tickets for STH (not my problem anymore).
However... I think the Ice will cost the Moose more than the Jets, as there's more of a cross-over market wise. I wonder what the parking will be like at Wayne Fleming during the season, though. There's no issue walking from Pembina to the Stadium to watch the Bombers, but it'll be too dang cold to do that for the Ice in February.
Here is an idea: Don't buy season tickets if you hope to sell the shitty games you don't want to see :laugh:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I wonder how many Ice games will be televised next season. 1,600 tickets are all but gone it would be nice for the rest of us to be able to catch a game online or on TV

I imagine CityTV, Global, something local will televise all games, sometimes when the Jets aren't playing. Would be a good alternative like say if there's a Jets package where it comes with the Moose and the ICE to televise all the games.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Here is an idea: Don't buy season tickets if you hope to sell the ****ty games you don't want to see :laugh:

One person's shitty game is another person's must see. One of the reasons my ticket group works so well. Everyone ends up with a lot of their desired games because we all want different things.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I imagine CityTV, Global, something local will televise all games, sometimes when the Jets aren't playing. Would be a good alternative like say if there's a Jets package where it comes with the Moose and the ICE to televise all the games.

I think you're dreaming if you think city or global will be showing any of these games. They'll get far more viewers of their US TV simulcasts than airing a WHL game. ShawTV will be the only chance of any local broadcast.

Reactions: wgpsensfan

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I think you're dreaming if you think city or global will be showing any of these games. They'll get far more viewers of their US TV simulcasts than airing a WHL game. ShawTV will be the only chance of any local broadcast.

Get Rockin' Ronnie and Nifty Natalie out of retirement to handle the broadcasts. The Cosmopolitans can play the anthems. Well, not the original members, obviously. Maybe call them The New Cosmopolitans. And who better for intermission host than Greg Klymkiw reprising his Survival persona? :laugh:

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
One person's ****ty game is another person's must see. One of the reasons my ticket group works so well. Everyone ends up with a lot of their desired games because we all want different things.
...I'm sure there's one guy who wants to see the Coyotes on a cold Tuesday night in February.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
This is a picture of the Winnipeg Junior Jets.

10982325_1077261692290223_55047786063594798_o.jpg

Reactions: DowntownBooster

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Probably no notable local radio for games either. 1290 has the Jets and 680 doesn't seem likely. Chances are they will be streamed.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
The Winnipeg Ice of the Western Hockey League will hold its development camp from May 31 to June 2 at The Rink Training Centre.

WINNIPEG ICE 2019 DEVELOPMENT CAMP SCHEDULE

Saturday, June 1

On ice session – 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
On ice skills session (Forwards) – 4:30 p.m. – 5:15 p.m.
On ice skills session – 5:45 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
(Defencemen/ Goalies)

Sunday, June 2

On ice session – 10:15 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
On ice 3-on-3 tournament – 11:15 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.

Ice development camp on tap

DudeWhereIsMakar

Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Are the Blues strictly going to be the affiliate for Winnipeg Ice prospects? I mean if I was 50 Below I would've bought an expansion team and gave them a name like 'Winnipeg Chill' or something. As much as I somewhat like the rebrand of the Blues, it doesn't make sense because their the 'Blues,' which also means their strictly blue jerseys and the teal in the jerseys don't count.

If they are, then I'd like to see the Wheat Kings have an MJHL affiliate, maybe partner with Virden or Neepawa.

But I hope to see the IcePlex get another expansion MJHL team for the other local Winnipeggers. It's all there. So the Blues can be a team strictly to develop potential future Winnipeg Ice prospects and another Winnipeg team can potentially go stag. I'd say three but I think I'd be going ahead of myself.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Are the Blues strictly going to be the affiliate for Winnipeg Ice prospects? I mean if I was 50 Below I would've bought an expansion team and gave them a name like 'Winnipeg Chill' or something. As much as I somewhat like the rebrand of the Blues, it doesn't make sense because their the 'Blues,' which also means their strictly blue jerseys and the teal in the jerseys don't count.

The Blues were re-branded last week and are going to be the Ice's affiliate.

I am not a fan of the re-design especially the color combination.

Something like "Winnipeg Chill" would have been better.

Winnipeg Blues reveal new jerseys ahead of 2019-2020 season

Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

If they are, then I'd like to see the Wheat Kings have an MJHL affiliate, maybe partner with Virden or Neepawa.

But I hope to see the IcePlex get another expansion MJHL team for the other local Winnipeggers. It's all there. So the Blues can be a team strictly to develop potential future Winnipeg Ice prospects and another Winnipeg team can potentially go stag. I'd say three but I think I'd be going ahead of myself.

The MJHL is such a weak league there should be fewer teams, not more. Look at how our best team got their asses handed to them this year by far superior BC and Alberta teams. Most years we can't even get past Saskatchewan. There is zero interest in Winnipeg for even one team. The Blues look like strictly friends and family support.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The MJHL is such a weak league there should be fewer teams, not more. Look at how our best team got their asses handed to them this year by far superior BC and Alberta teams. Most years we can't even get past Saskatchewan. There is zero interest in Winnipeg for even one team. The Blues look like strictly friends and family support.

I believe the Ice having an affiliate will improve the league, Wheat Kings having one would as well.

Just like how they're there so if a player in their system is unsure that they could have a taste of both either going the college route or the CHL route, with good development for them in the process. Think at least every WHL/OHL/QMJHL team should have this for their local Junior-A teams.

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
There is not point in having an affiliate when the players rights pretty much belong to some one else.

So 14/15 year olds have to go back to their respective bantam/midget clubs
16/17/18 year olds either go back to midget or whoever owns their Junior rights

Reactions: wgpsensfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad