OT: Winnipeg Ice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
You can take solace in the fact that 95% of them won't even get a sniff of the NHL.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Lars65

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Maybe the Jets will draft a few more WHLers in the future and you can watch them come to town.

Although they haven't gone to the WHL well much in a while.

Here are all the Jets' WHL picks, 2011-present:

2011: Lowry, Yuen
2012: Sutter, Olsen
2013: Morrissey, Petan, Comrie, Lipon, Kichton
2014: De Leo, Nogier
2015: Harkens, Spacek (wasn't drafted out of the W but played there after), Gennaro
2016: Stallard
2017: McKenzie
2018: None
2019: None

Electroflare55

May 21, 2017
I’ll add to this and say you do have to pay for it (in case that wasn’t obvious). But some of the rinks have really poor quality streams.
Wayne Fleming’s video feed is pretty good from what I’ve seen, should be much better than a good percentage of WHL rinks

Reactions: LainePeg

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
My biggest issue with the Ice is that it will be weird/difficult to cheer for a bunch of players who will end up playing against the Jets on different NHL teams in a year or two.

That may be true but it could help to give them a positive view of Winnipeg going forward. There is also the chance that some of them may get drafted by the Jets or perhaps traded here by another NHL team some time down the road.

Reactions: JohnStaymoose

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
You can take solace in the fact that 95% of them won't even get a sniff of the NHL.

No kidding, most of the new NHL players are coming from the US and the US College system not the antiquated CHL!

But the guys in the CHL wear nice suits to the games and that's very important say guys like Don Cherry, skills and skating are secondary!

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
No kidding, most of the new NHL players are coming from the US and the US College system not the antiquated CHL!

But the guys in the CHL wear nice suits to the games and that's very important say guys like Don Cherry, skills and skating are secondary!

I thought you said we need more Canadians. Or should we just get Canadians that play US College hockey? ;)

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
My question is, say the Jets are out and the Moose, the ICE make the WHL finals between now and the time before the completion of their arena, would BMTSP let the ICE play there for the WHL finals? Only reason I ask is because Wayne Fleming is too small if that happened to be the case.

I mean I'm not saying Winnipeg should host a Memorial Cup at BMTSP because that's not possible to wave an NHL tenant have a Memorial Cup at the same time.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I have heard from a reliable source that the Ice move to Winnipeg has been a disaster. With little media coverage, a dingy third rate arena, and pathetic attendance, the Ice are expected to take a bloodbath this year. One cannot be suprised, as the Winnipeg market is much too small to have an NHL, AHL, and Junior Hockey teams reside here. The market is saturated, and the only way the Ice will survive is for the AHL Moose to relocate, which is not likely to happen anytime soon.

The name "Ice" is fitting, as ticket and merchandise sales have been "Ice cold."

Reactions: wgpsensfan

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I have heard from a reliable source that the Ice move to Winnipeg has been a disaster. With little media coverage, a dingy third rate arena, and pathetic attendance, the Ice are expected to take a bloodbath this year. One cannot be suprised, as the Winnipeg market is much too small to have an NHL, AHL, and Junior Hockey teams reside here. The market is saturated, and the only way the Ice will survive is for the AHL Moose to relocate, which is not likely to happen anytime soon.

The name "Ice" is fitting, as ticket and merchandise sales have been "Ice cold."
It’s been a mystery to me what made them think this would be a good market for junior hockey. There was 4 MJHL teams in Winnipeg now there is 1 and they basically play in front of friends and family. The Bisons draw even less which is too bad because U Sports is excellent hockey. The Moose attendance is trending down. Bottom line it’s a Jets market.

It does make you wonder how they can pay their bills. They can’t sell out a 1600 seat building, have the most expensive travel costs of any team as they are the farthest east. I’ve also read they are still paying a lease in Cranbrook.

Has construction even started on their facility yet? Agree that the Moose won’t be leaving anytime soon. It can’t think of a market that would want an AHL team.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

unlike-yall-i-get-my-news-from-a-reliable-source-47158727.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad