OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2019 Off Season Thread

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Tough to lose Chungh after a really good year for the offensive line... shades of LaBatte leaving to go back to Saskatchewan. Granted, Geoff Gray was a shrewd pick and should hopefully fit in nicely. Santos-Knox is an even worse loss though, but Bombers slightly recovered with Jefferson on an already somewhat dangerous defensive line. Perhaps if they can get to the QB quicker, our pathetic zone coverage being carried on Bighill's back might look decent...

Tough to watch the rest of the West get into a massive offensive arms race and look at the Bombers watching from afar and missing out on most, though. We went from "Reilly and Bo Levi might be in the NFL, huzzah!" to "Oh shit, Harris just joined the QB Thunderdome in the West..." as they also upped their offensive line and WR strength while we got... Demski extended. Big oof. I hope the plan is to wait for NFL cuts or CFL releases once the league realizes there's no way the Lions or Eskimos are compliant with whatever the cap is.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Jennings join Saskatchewan in case Collaros craps out for another year. It's hard to judge for only one day of signings that won't make a massive difference in the end but... yuck.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Tough to lose Chungh after a really good year for the offensive line... shades of LaBatte leaving to go back to Saskatchewan. Granted, Geoff Gray was a shrewd pick and should hopefully fit in nicely. Santos-Knox is an even worse loss though, but Bombers slightly recovered with Jefferson on an already somewhat dangerous defensive line. Perhaps if they can get to the QB quicker, our pathetic zone coverage being carried on Bighill's back might look decent...

Tough to watch the rest of the West get into a massive offensive arms race and look at the Bombers watching from afar and missing out on most, though. We went from "Reilly and Bo Levi might be in the NFL, huzzah!" to "Oh ****, Harris just joined the QB Thunderdome in the West..." as they also upped their offensive line and WR strength while we got... Demski extended. Big oof. I hope the plan is to wait for NFL cuts or CFL releases once the league realizes there's no way the Lions or Eskimos are compliant with whatever the cap is.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Jennings join Saskatchewan in case Collaros craps out for another year. It's hard to judge for only one day of signings that won't make a massive difference in the end but... yuck.
Santos-Knox is easily replaceable, especially playing along side Bighill. And I'm hearing Jennings might end up in Ottawa.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
3BAIPR4.png

Remaining top 20 "free agent" receivers from 2018. Derel Walker really is the last obvious top receiver... but is seeking big bucks: Receiver Derel Walker flying around Canada taking team visits – 3DownNation

Pretty slim pickings IMO.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Getting a Walker + Matthew's would make the offense much more dangerous. Would love to see that. Wed still need help in secondary, a Will LB and another national player along the OLine, IMO. A national DT like Donny O or Eddie Steele to rotate at DT with Thomas wouldn't be a bad idea either. Hell we also dont have any proven PR/KR either.

Lots of work to do tmw.

Reactions: snowkiddin

JetsCameHome

Sep 19, 2011
Our starting QB is still 200 yds Nichols. I still dont see how we got better. We can have the best defense in the league but unless we can get something better than a pop gun behind center this is 29 years and counting.

Reactions: Mbraunm

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Our starting QB is still 200 yds Nichols. I still dont see how we got better. We can have the best defense in the league but unless we can get something better than a pop gun behind center this is 29 years and counting.

I’m more concerned with how Nichols will look with a weaker oline. If he struggles and is given too long of a leash, we’re in trouble.

Losing JSK but signing Jefferson is almost a lateral move, IMO.

We need to get more Canadians on both sides of the ball and we need a legit #1 receiver. If we can get Walker and some decent Canadian pieces (not sure what’s left) then I’ll be okay.

Nice username, by the way.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Geoff Gray is twice the lineman Chungh was/is. I think our Oline will be better next year. Jefferson is a huge pick up. Best end in the league. Need to find a receiver, I am hoping Simonese can step up this year

Reactions: nhlpro

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Geoff Gray is twice the lineman Chungh was/is. I think our Oline will be better next year. Jefferson is a huge pick up. Best end in the league. Need to find a receiver, I am hoping Simonese can step up this year

How can we be so sure on Gray? He’ll just be a rookie next year and Chungh was pretty outstanding. Agree with the rest.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
While Gray likely would have gone #1 overall in the 2017 draft (but didn't due to NFL interest), it is rather a boastful claim - probably not backed by anything substantive - to say he is better then Chungh. He might very well be of course, given his pedigree, but we don't really know yet. Going from the best centre in the league (Goosen) and top -2 Canadian guard in the league (Chungh) to presumably Couture and Gray can't be seen as anything but a step down for the o-line at this point. With the least evasive QB in the league who panics at the slightest sign of pressure as our starter, that makes me a bit nervous going into 2019.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
I do like that the Jefferson deal is only a 1 year deal. His motor should running on high octane for another big contract.

Remainder of FA has got to be about filling NI talent depth including Oline and Dline , a deep threat WR of any kind.

Plus I believe we have a more than steady share of draft picks this year.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016

This was very clear most of last year, and after the playoffs it was certain. We need a QB who has the talent to win games and not just “manage” them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad