OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2019 Off Season Thread

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
He gave it everything he had while he was here, he will be missed.

Was on his way to a HOF career.

Hopefully they use some of that cap space to sign Chungh.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Thomas Miles re-signs with the Bombers for one year. Great Canadian backup LB and special teamer!

Reactions: Cellee

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
It appears we wont re sign Loffler. We are in trouble if we dont. Neufeld/Gray, Couture, Chung, Wolitarsky, Demski/Petermann/Simonise, Harris only gives us 6. I doubt they plan to start 7 on offense. We need a defensive starter and Thomas ain't it.

Reactions: sipowicz

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
It appears we wont re sign Loffler. We are in trouble if we dont. Neufeld/Gray, Couture, Chung, Wolitarsky, Demski/Petermann/Simonise, Harris only gives us 6. I doubt they plan to start 7 on offense. We need a defensive starter and Thomas ain't it.

Derek Jones is perfectly capable of starting at safety and he is a Canadian so that resolves your ratio issue. Plus the Bombers just re-signed Hecht and have other guys like Morgan as depth. We will be fine without Loffler, although his price tag will need to come down if he wants to sign anywhere...he's asking for $200k per season, yet the current highest paid safety in the CFL is making $150k and that's Antoine Pruneau, and I'd argue Pruneau is better. Rumor is Loffler wants to return to BC, so if that's that case so be it...we will be fine with Derek Jones.

dabizz

Apr 15, 2014
Winnipeg

Bombers signed a couple more today. I don't know much about Simmons but I'm a Longhorn fan and spent a lot of time watching Mykkele Thompson in his time there. I'm very, very, very excited about the Bombers bringing him on.

He's tall and fast, played all over the secondary and is a really high end athlete. Great on special teams too so with that and his versatility I could see him getting a long look as an extra db if he can't secure a starting spot. I'd really love to see him get a shot to play safety but depending on the ratio and where they decide to play their Canadians it might not be an option. Great signing for the Blue.

Reactions: GNP

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017

Bombers signed a couple more today. I don't know much about Simmons but I'm a Longhorn fan and spent a lot of time watching Mykkele Thompson in his time there. I'm very, very, very excited about the Bombers bringing him on.

He's tall and fast, played all over the secondary and is a really high end athlete. Great on special teams too so with that and his versatility I could see him getting a long look as an extra db if he can't secure a starting spot. I'd really love to see him get a shot to play safety but depending on the ratio and where they decide to play their Canadians it might not be an option. Great signing for the Blue.

Thanks for that insight on Thompson...very interesting!

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
So Montreal got a new logo and uniforms - I don't really care about the uniforms, but they desperately needed a new logo IMO. This isn't perfect, but it is better.

uKWWE6E.jpg

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
So Montreal got a new logo and uniforms - I don't really care about the uniforms, but they desperately needed a new logo IMO. This isn't perfect, but it is better.

uKWWE6E.jpg

The last team with a bird logo this bad ended up relocating. :sarcasm: And MontreALS? Really? Did nobody stop to think that maybe making ALS a prominent part of the team brand could be subconsciously associating the football team with a horrible motor neuron disease that might be linked to repeated concussions? Or maybe I'm just weird that my brain jumps to connections like this.

Reactions: AngryMoose

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So is there any word on why Goosen retired?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
So is there any word on why Goosen retired?

Got a policing job back home in B.C. Assuming that’s something he really wanted to do. That, and football is a dangerous sport so he may have wanted to retire before it took a toll on his body.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Got a policing job back home in B.C. Assuming that’s something he really wanted to do. That, and football is a dangerous sport so he may have wanted to retire before it took a toll on his body.

Good call. If you get on with the force and that’s what you want what’s the point of hanging in the CFL.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
The last team with a bird logo this bad ended up relocating. :sarcasm: And MontreALS? Really? Did nobody stop to think that maybe making ALS a prominent part of the team brand could be subconsciously associating the football team with a horrible motor neuron disease that might be linked to repeated concussions? Or maybe I'm just weird that my brain jumps to connections like this.

I thought the same thing about ALS - I get that it's clever that Montreal and Alouette share two letters in the middle, but at the same time, it's not a great thing to put in all caps like an abbreviation.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Good call. If you get on with the force and that’s what you want what’s the point of hanging in the CFL.

For one thing the money. Cfl would have paid him 200-250k at least, 4-5 times as much as hell start at. But I'm not gonna fault a guy for making z choice about his own life.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
For one thing the money. Cfl would have paid him 200-250k at least, 4-5 times as much as hell start at. But I'm not gonna fault a guy for making z choice about his own life.

True but one of the problems is if he gets injured that police career may be done. Sometimes it’s just that time too, I remember talking to a guy who played for Washington Huskies on the national championship team back in the 90’s and he had a try out with the Esks. He was a late cut and I asked if he was upset and he said “no, I am tired of the pain”. He said after a while ou get sick of always hurting.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
True but one of the problems is if he gets injured that police career may be done. Sometimes it’s just that time too, I remember talking to a guy who played for Washington Huskies on the national championship team back in the 90’s and he had a try out with the Esks. He was a late cut and I asked if he was upset and he said “no, I am tired of the pain”. He said after a while ou get sick of always hurting.

Yeah, and Offensive Linemen get battered every play, without fail.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Aaf kicks off this week. Quite a few guys who kicked around Bombers roster last few years are on rosters including WR L'Damian Washington, DE Sam Montgomery, Wr Dontrea Dye, LB Khalil Bass, QB Philip Nelson, QB Alex Ross. It's quite clearly mostly CFL cast offs as expected by most. Of course what the real fear is aaf preventing young players from coming north not that they'd steal established players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad