OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2019 Off Season Thread

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Losing Chung sucks , we drafted him and groomed him and he's one of the best in the league . I would already make Strev our starter because he can actually scramble .

Reactions: snowkiddin

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Not sure about how much movement there is in the CFL now? I like some free agent activity but for a casual fan like me its really tough to keep track of who's who with all the churn.

Reactions: HannuJ

None

Feb 22, 2012
Not sure about how much movement there is in the CFL now? I like some free agent activity but for a casual fan like me its really tough to keep track of who's who with all the churn.

There's a lot of activity this off-season because of the CBA and because the big 3 QBs are all represented by the same agency. Bo Levi Mitchell and Mike Reilly actually have the same agent.

Reilly was quoted as saying that it wasn't an accident that so many contracts were structured to expire this year with the CBA, so they were likely trying to use eachother as leverage in bargaining as well.

Reactions: ps241

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I would already make Strev our starter because he can actually scramble .

But MOS won't. Winnipeg is blessed with two head coaches that won't budge from ineffective vets. Streveler should ask to be traded to the Riders, and the Bombers should do it because he's gone after this year anyway. Maybe get their 1st round pick.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm sure the inaugural season will also be the final season, opening day attendance wasn't great and will only get worse, wait until it's up against the NCAA BB playoffs!
Yah don't know why they keep trying to add another pro football league in the states . NFL and college football are king in the US .

Reactions: sipowicz

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Who are our Canadian starters?

Harris, Demski, Neufeld. Even if Gray is ready to start, that’s 4. Couture would be 5. Need two more. Petermann/Simonise? Otherwise a guy like Jake Thomas will end up starting.

1 RB (Harris), 2 WR (Wolitarsky, Demski), 2 OL (Neufeld, Couture/Gray/FA) are locks. There could be another starter on the OL between the 3 I mentioned. The Bombers could also start the last two spots on defense. Hopefully we get more adds.

So far this is a very disappointing off season. How does BC have cap room to add all the players?

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'm sure the inaugural season will also be the final season, opening day attendance wasn't great and will only get worse, wait until it's up against the NCAA BB playoffs!

You are absolutely right Sip’....

And leagues / teams in the U.S. are driven by star power...

No Identity. No names most of them.

The coaches have star power and thats why the early viewership. This happened with the XFL and they were done within little over a year.

Reactions: sipowicz

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
1 RB (Harris), 2 WR (Wolitarsky, Demski), 2 OL (Neufeld, Couture/Gray/FA) are locks. There could be another starter on the OL between the 3 I mentioned. The Bombers could also start the last two spots on defense. Hopefully we get more adds.

So far this is a very disappointing off season. How does BC have cap room to add all the players?

Nobody is forcing the situation. They'll get looked at later, say my bad, and make eoms cuts.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

I forgot Woli...

I agree, I am not at all pleased with Walters today, and I’ve been a relatively large supporter of him.

It looks like losing Chungh wasn’t his fault, seems that he took a hometown discount to sign with them. Quite irritating, but what can you do.

As someone else mentioned (don’t remember if it was on here, on the Blue Bomber forums, or on Twitter) B.C. probably isn’t compliant with the cap right now and will have to cut some high salary players.

Last edited:

None

Feb 22, 2012
How does BC have cap room to add all the players?

Edmonton has come out and said they're right against the cap, I imagine BC is above considering Reilly signed for 150-175k more than Harris.

Derek Taylor is wondering on Twitter if every team is operating on the same salary cap projection.

Regardless, I think it was pretty obvious at the time that Loffler's apparent contract demand (~$200k) was way beyond what any team would be willing to pay. The teams closest to home for him have no cap space to spare for a national that's probably a luxury. They probably have to go cheap/young with their nationals just to fit them in with those massive QB contracts eating 15-20% of the cap.

Loffler being just OK in coverage makes me think he's mostly expendable. I'd rather the Bombers rotate their nationals to get better deep ball coverage than Loffler offered. There's enough talent in the first round of the CFL draft to get immediate rotational starters out of it, and it's always possible that someone shakes loose their Canadian heritage later and becomes available for a provisional draft.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Who are our Canadian starters?

Harris, Demski, Neufeld. Even if Gray is ready to start, that’s 4. Couture would be 5. Need two more. Petermann/Simonise? Otherwise a guy like Jake Thomas will end up starting.
Wolitarsky and Derek Jones as of today.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
not sure how we could be disappointed with today.

we retained a few great guys, with Bighill being the best D player out there. we picked up SASK's best D player. losing Santos-Knox was harsh, but we upgraded up front.

O-line is a net neutral, IMO. we lost 2 but will rotate in 2 guys that may not be a huge downgrade. kept Bryant, so that's huge.

just need to get more corners, replace Knox-Santos, figure out our safety position and upgrade our receivers. i.e. lots of work to do still

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Jefferson signing is huuuuuge. He was the Riders best player the last 2 years.

We still need to upgrade and get a #1 receiver. Derrell Walker, anyone?
We do need a legit receiver still. Rumour is Walker will end up in Toronto.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Otherwise known as only applying recent facts that suit your conclusion? Chungh isn't playing for free either. He's from BC though. Some guys like being close to home.
Chungh got $250k per season with BC. Wow!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad