OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2019 Off Season Thread

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Wouldn't mind seeing the Bombers pick Brady oliveira in the draft but 4/5 might be too high for him

If they think he can be a feature back eventually it's not too early. He's going to have to show some ability in the passing game at the combine though. He played in a very run heavy offense in Grand Forks.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
It's still early in FA but I think it's quite clear it looks like the top 4 teams in the CFL will be Winnipeg, BC, Calgary and Edmonton. In what order you can pick and choose but the West is gonna be a dogfight.

I think Winnipeg, BC and Calgary are probably clear ahead of the rest. Edmonton might be fourth but I don’t think they’re that good, just everyone else sucks more.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I think Winnipeg, BC and Calgary are probably clear ahead of the rest. Edmonton might be fourth but I don’t think they’re that good, just everyone else sucks more.

I have no faith in Maas but that D looks revamped pretty good with Dean and Santos-Knox and Harris Ellingson is a solid start on offense. Your right those there's alot of moving pieces there hard to say how it will gel. Particularly with that coach.

Reactions: snowkiddin

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm not as bullish on BC. That's a giant rebuild, still pretty weak NI group and a lot of cash invested in a handful of imports. With the way they finished last season it might have been worth keeping more of that core group intact. Not a huge fan of their coaching staff, Jackson has been a pretty shitty OC, rookie head coach, inexperienced staff and Stubler. They might be more of a factor in 2020 if they build some momentum.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I'm not as bullish on BC. That's a giant rebuild, still pretty weak NI group and a lot of cash invested in a handful of imports. With the way they finished last season it might have been worth keeping more of that core group intact. Not a huge fan of their coaching staff, Jackson has been a pretty ****ty OC, rookie head coach, inexperienced staff and Stubler. They might be more of a factor in 2020 if they build some momentum.

Forgot they added Carter. Likely ends their chances. That guy knows how to torpedo locker rooms like no one else. Less concerned about them now to be honest. They will likely need to shed some salary as well going into camp. Outside of Eliminian who do they even have on defense?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Forgot they added Carter. Likely ends their chances. That guy knows how to torpedo locker rooms like no one else. Less concerned about them now to be honest. They will likely need to shed some salary as well going into camp. Outside of Eliminian who do they even have on defense?

Davon Coleman and two pretty good halfbacks. Not much for edge rushers.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Anyways back to Bombers it looks more complete than you'd expect to be honest. Bauming just tweeted a rough draft of a depth chart and the only team glaring holes are national starter at S, national rotational guy at DT and a #1 WR.

At S Bauming had Hecht #1. Hes been in league forever it seems and never started on defense, not a starter. Hes one of about 5 names but none stand out as starters to me. This is one position I dont think they can fill with a national now by the looks of it. However assuming they grab a national rotational guy to pair with Thomas at DT they wont need to. An impact international S might be what this secondary needs.

Still some names out there that could maybe fill the DT hole. This shouldn't be too hard.

Of course WR is the big hole. Walker is the big name left of course. Rumour has it he wants to be highest paid WR in league not sure if BB will go for that. But unlike his other two suitors in Sask and Tor Wog offers him the chance to be on a winning team so hopefully he sees reason.

They still need depth at most positions (draft, minor signings and international rookies can usually cover this) and a veteran national OL player would be nice, but if Bombers fill the 3 holes I mention I'll be happy.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
If we can't get Walker, please, please let us get Chris Matthews.

Why not both? ;)

In all seriousness Bombers are spending FAR less at QB than rest of west, we lost some big money players like Goossen, Chung, Dressler, Okpaulago youd think wed have some room to play with. Adams, Walker, Matthews, Wolitarski, Demski would be the best WR group in the CFL no?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Walker's durability is pretty concerning. For what he's asking you could get two pretty good receivers.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Walker's durability is pretty concerning. For what he's asking you could get two pretty good receivers.

I feel like Petermann and Simonise give Bombers ALOT of flexibility in the WR that is underrated. Both are solid players that would maybe be getting starting chances elsewhere. And both are nationals as a bonus. They are more prepared for injuries at WR than anywhere else national or international. They could theoretically start 7 nationals on offense and go all international on D (Neufeld, Couture, Gray, Harris, Wolitarsky, Demski, Petermann/Simonise).

But your right. There's a reason hes the only top FA not to sign. As I said earlier hell probably have to walk back his ask for Bombers to get him.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Anyways back to Bombers it looks more complete than you'd expect to be honest. Bauming just tweeted a rough draft of a depth chart and the only team glaring holes are national starter at S, national rotational guy at DT and a #1 WR.

At S Bauming had Hecht #1. Hes been in league forever it seems and never started on defense, not a starter. Hes one of about 5 names but none stand out as starters to me. This is one position I dont think they can fill with a national now by the looks of it. However assuming they grab a national rotational guy to pair with Thomas at DT they wont need to. An impact international S might be what this secondary needs.

Still some names out there that could maybe fill the DT hole. This shouldn't be too hard.

Of course WR is the big hole. Walker is the big name left of course. Rumour has it he wants to be highest paid WR in league not sure if BB will go for that. But unlike his other two suitors in Sask and Tor Wog offers him the chance to be on a winning team so hopefully he sees reason.

They still need depth at most positions (draft, minor signings and international rookies can usually cover this) and a veteran national OL player would be nice, but if Bombers fill the 3 holes I mention I'll be happy.
As long as Nichols is the QB the Bombers will be iffy as a contender.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Walker is asking 275 thousand a season apparently , according to Toth and the boys this morning on 1290 . If that's true that's way too much .

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Walker is asking 275 thousand a season apparently , according to Toth and the boys this morning on 1290 . If that's true that's way too much .
His "ask" and what he will actually get are two very different things. Ellingson got $250k so he's in the ballpark though.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
All the female Bomber fans will be upset to hear that Ryan Lankford signed with Ottawa.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Walker got 280k. Hope he structured that to get paid most of it when he shows up for camp. If the cap doesn’t move much in CBA talks there’s a good chance some of these contracts don’t come to fruition with teams asking for pay cuts or releasing players mid-season. Back to the 90s for the CFL, spend money teams don’t have.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
It shouldn't be as hard as Walter's makes it out to be to find an American receiver. Spending big money on Walker would really say something to me about Walter's ability to find American players. Not that it hasnt been said fairly loudly in his career as a GM.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
It shouldn't be as hard as Walter's makes it out to be to find an American receiver. Spending big money on Walker would really say something to me about Walter's ability to find American players. Not that it hasnt been said fairly loudly in his career as a GM.

Interesting that the teams with great quarterbacking never have problem finding receivers, they've literally slotted guys in and they've all put up numbers, Calgary and Edmonton. If you put Duke Williams on the Bombers he ain't putting up anywhere near those stats.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Interesting that the teams with great quarterbacking never have problem finding receivers, they've literally slotted guys in and they've all put up numbers, Calgary and Edmonton. If you put Duke Williams on the Bombers he ain't putting up anywhere near those stats.
Even Joe freakin Mack found receivers like Carr and Matthews for his crap show qbs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad