Winning in Manhattan - Habs Win 3-1, 1ST IN EAST!!!!

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
It's not that we're winning, but how we're winning. Contributions from different guys every night to get the job done in close games. This is a team, which is something that was sorely lacking last year when it was just one line doing all the scoring.

Price has been Price... aka Amazing.
Same with PK.
Galchenyuk... we finally have a rookie prospect that is world class. LOVE the kid.
Diaz and Emelin have been so much better than last year. Bouillon and Gorges have been steady. Markov has kinda slowed down but he's still "old Markov."
Prust and Bourque have been the biggest surprises to me this year.
Patches is heating up again.

I just LOVE this team. And I don't just mean the Habs in general, I mean this group of players.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
I was as stunned by the "who me?" as anyone else. An immature and pointless act. I never said PK doesn't have room for improvement. Quite the opposite. But he is the best athlete on the team IMO, with as much potential to be a star as Galchenyuk. Didn't see a skater tonight who didn't make a mistake. But PK is ALWAYS singled out.

I just feel he needs mentoring rather than strangulation.

Or maybe just time and experience.
But I agree with Subban being possibly the best athlete. And I also
see him and Galchenyuk as the two players who could become truly
great.
In the meantime he is a solid contributer, so I'm happy to wait and see.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Gotta love his celebration.

75556_10151481491336745_1551113854_n.jpg
Yeah it's sick. I don't know how TSN thought Eller had scored there.. you don't celebrate like that for nice assists. :laugh:

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
I was as stunned by the "who me?" as anyone else. An immature and pointless act. I never said PK doesn't have room for improvement. Quite the opposite. But he is the best athlete on the team IMO, with as much potential to be a star as Galchenyuk. Didn't see a skater tonight who didn't make a mistake. But PK is ALWAYS singled out.

I just feel he needs mentoring rather than strangulation.

I know what you mean. It is a fine line. I really do think they have the best interest of the player at heart though. The staff we have right now so far have made all the right moves and personally I have to trust they know what they are doing with the kid. I think he's searching for his identity a bit now that they got rid of the big up ice rushes and yapping. He's a smart kid with probably the most raw talent on the team other than Galchenyuk and he wants to win and loves Montreal. He'll figure it out and be a better overall player for it down the road. It's growing pains. At least that's how I see it.

Look at Galchenyuk. He has the talent to be trying to deke out guys on almost every shift, but he only brings that out when he knows it won't put his team at risk. He is more concerned with making the right play at the right time. Making the right decision with the puck. Being in the right place on the ice. Thinking the game a bit more. It could be seen as holding him back, or making him afraid to go out and play his game but that's not how I see it. I just think it's the way the game is intended to be played. There's a reason why he stuck with the team. He is unbelievably "mature" on the ice for a kid his age. I think that's what they mean when they say they want PK to "learn". Not eliminate the fire in his game but just think a bit more out there and make better, quicker decisions. Again, my take on it anyway.

Last edited:

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Oh, the 21 year old couldn't quarterback the PP? No kidding. One day he will. I'm not suggesting he takes Markov's PP minutes, but the even strength ones. Markov is already folding after 15 games. He needs to be limited to make it to the playoffs, and when we get there, we will really need him.

His habits for the PP are currently very poor and more like an impatient wannabe Zdeno Chara than any sort of competent QB; there is no indcation that strongly suggests he "will" be a great PP QB. Meanwhile, guys like Karlsson and the old Mike Green already showed their instincts at around the same age. PK has a LOT of learning to do if he wants to become a deadly power play force.

But I do agree he is much better on even strength than Markov and that Markov is too old to be subject to heavy loads.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
With Markov I think it's less to do with his age (but that doesn't help) and more to do with the fact that between his KHL adventure and now this season he hasn't played this much hockey regularly in two years. His minutes definitely need to be managed, at least for a while.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
His habits for the PP are currently very poor and more like an impatient wannabe Zdeno Chara than any sort of competent QB; there is no indcation that strongly suggests he "will" be a great PP QB. Meanwhile, guys like Karlsson and the old Mike Green already showed their instincts at around the same age. PK has a LOT of learning to do if he wants to become a deadly power play force.

But I do agree he is much better on even strength than Markov and that Markov is too old to be subject to heavy loads.
Subban's not supposed to be the PP QB, that's Markov's job. Subban, like Souray, Streit, Wiz, etc before him is just the big shot from the point. That's why he's paired with the QB.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Yeah it's sick. I don't know how TSN thought Eller had scored there.. you don't celebrate like that for nice assists. :laugh:

I was watching the game on MSG. They too said that it was Eller's goal.

Galchenyuk is so good that he scores goals even when it looks like he is not scoring goals.:D

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Subban's not supposed to be the PP QB, that's Markov's job. Subban, like Souray, Streit, Wiz, etc before him is just the big shot from the point. That's why he's paired with the QB.
The more versatile the better. Were we "supposed" to make a trade for Tomas Kaberle to be the next PP QB because we had no one else in the system at that time? Subban simply could not step up into the role when there was a void.

I clearly remember Wiz was the quarterback and Subban gunned his passes home. Wiz had a great shot though, so in a different situation, he could have been a gunner, but he made the power play go very soon after he arrived.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal

Not to contradict you but personally I think that's part of what made him a bit predictable and in turn made the PP predictable last year. Sure it'll work a few times, but teams catch onto that pretty quick and it gets hard to find lanes. The idea on the PP is to keep guys moving and keep the puck moving to open lanes and make the goalie work and move laterally and have bodies in front.

A quick, sneaky wrist shot sometimes is a better option than a big slap shot too. If you look at PK's goals from the point this year they were short little half wind ups, quick release and more importantly, they were on the net.

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
People rag on guys like Eller for not playing well, but if Subban makes a mistake, it gets brushed under the rug like a parent who spoils his children, as if he's already top dog and better than the fusion of Erik Karlsson and Niklas Lidstrom.

...ummm.. what? you're seriously suggesting that PK subban is getting a free pass from people? what PK Subban are you following? this kid cant blow his nose with out the entire social media world stirring up **** and questioning him about it and claiming he needs to grow up and learn some respect and should stop being a cancer to the room etc.. etc.. etc.

...but im gonna go on a limb and say you just dont like the truth of the matter that PK is a total ****ing BOSS out there!:yo:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I doubt he is actually being "strangled". Ineffective and suboptimal plays have no place in this game, and a player being likeable does not excuse that. So far, PK has been improving in the cutting seEdown on those suboptimal plays. He has been making passes instead of hogging the puck up the ice and then losing it in a 1-on-many situation. He has quicken his shot instead of winding up every time.

People rag on guys like Eller for not playing well, but if Subban makes a mistake, it gets brushed under the rug like a parent who spoils his children, as if he's already top dog and better than the fusion of Erik Karlsson and Niklas Lidstrom.

Yes he makes mistakes. No dispute. And I'm not sure which board you're reading, but on this one PK doesn't scratch his balls without criticism. Soupy's and Gorges gaffs are hardly mentioned, while PK makes a great play on a rush and gets criticized because the forwards can't anticipate.

It seems easily forgotten by many how with Markov out almost all last season, this kid was the de facto go to guy in all things D. And he was great.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Yes he makes mistakes. No dispute. And I'm not sure which board you're reading, but on this one PK doesn't scratch his balls without criticism. Soupy's and Gorges gaffs are hardly mentioned, while PK makes a great play on a rush and gets criticized because the forwards can't anticipate.

It seems easily forgotten by many how with Markov out almost all last season, this kid was the de facto go to guy in all things D. And he was great.

I think that's because people see the potential in PK. With Bouillon and Gorges you know what you're getting at this point. PK has the talent to be one of the best in the world at what he does. So I think it's normal that he's a bit more scrutinized.

By the way, personally I'm only referring to what I see on the ice when I'm talking about PK. The crap about locker room cancer and all that stuff I never bought into and I actually really like his personality.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Torts said he thought both teams were bad tonight but New York was worse. Is anyone agreeing that Montreal basically not having a shot in the first period was a good thing?

Jesus, Torts is dramatic but the man is allowed to speak his mind and he wasn't homering. He even said the offside waving wasn't going to be used as an excuse for the loss. Stop being so defensive folks.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

Well, my comments are directed at the few who give free pass for everything. Your comments indicated that you are not such a fellow, so I apologize for thinking you were one of them.

I don't follow the media reports or their nonsense. I just evaluate what I see. His game is mostly excellent, but with significant room for improvement in areas. Should he achieve improvement in those areas, this guy could be a HoFer.

I think Jigger articulated it well. It's because if he eliminates those mistakes, the that will be the time he is legimately at the elite, perhaps even Hall of Fame, level. I believe he's very close to reaching that status defensively, let me make that clear, but still has some areas to improve, then we can legitmately mention him as on the level of a Lidstrom.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Not to contradict you but personally I think that's part of what made him a bit predictable and in turn made the PseeP predictable last year. Sure it'll work a few times, but teams catch onto that pretty quick and it gets hard to find lanes. The idea on the PP is to keep guys moving and keep the puck moving to open lanes and make the goalie work and move laterally and have bodies in front.

A quick, sneaky wrist shot sometimes is a better option than a big slap shot too. If you look at PK's goals from the point this year they were short little half wind ups, quick release and more importantly, they were on the net.

I brought this up on another thread and would like some feedback.

Regarding the PP, I'm thinking PK would be great playing a wing position. Better on the boards than most forwards, arguably the best skater to create space, good passer and improving, a deadly wrister and snap shot, and hard to move from the crease.

Markov, Diaz on the point, Pleks, PK and Bourque. Switch out Eller and BGally.

I have to admit that playing D up in the PP has been gold to me since watching games where Scotty Bowman did it with Lafleur and Shutt on the bench. Crazy huh!

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Well, my comments are directed at the few who give free pass for everything. Your comments indicated that you are not such a fellow, so I apologize for thinking you were one of them.

I don't follow the media reports or their nonsense. I just evaluate what I see. His game is mostly excellent, but with significant room for improvement in areas. Should he achieve improvement in those areas, this guy could be a HoFer.

I think Jigger articulated it well. It's because if he eliminates those mistakes, the that will be the time he is legimately at the elite, perhaps even Hall of Fame, level. I believe he's very close to reaching that status defensively, let me make that clear, but still has some areas to improve, then we can legitmately mention him as on the level of a Lidstrom.

No need to apologize. I'm not offended ever by a challenging opinion. Happy to hear them. I'm never so dead set in my own mind
that I can't be swayed by a well thought out argument. That's why this board is great.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
I brought this up on another thread and would like some feedback.

Regarding the PP, I'm thinking PK would be great playing a wing position. Better on the boards than most forwards, arguably the best skater to create space, good passer and improving, a deadly wrister and snap shot, and hard to move from the crease.

Markov, Diaz on the point, Pleks, PK and Bourque. Switch out Eller and BGally.

I have to admit that playing D up in the PP has been gold to me since watching games where Scotty Bowman did it with Lafleur and Shutt on the bench. Crazy huh!

Interesting idea. Unfortunately I'm too young to have seen Shutt play and only caught the very trailing end of Lafleur. Definitely thinking outside the box though, unless I'm mistaken I don't recall ever seeing that on the PP. He's certainly shifty and protects the puck well. He'd be a hell of a pest in front of the net too :laugh:. Bowman really did that? wow. Crazy indeed. Who was the d-man he used like that?

KingGallagherXI

Jul 10, 2009
Torts said he thought both teams were bad tonight but New York was worse. Is anyone agreeing that Montreal basically not having a shot in the first period was a good thing?

Jesus, Torts is dramatic but the man is allowed to speak his mind and he wasn't homering. He even said the offside waving wasn't going to be used as an excuse for the loss. Stop being so defensive folks.

Both teams were bad at offense and good at defense. New York was better at forechecking but the Habs closed the slot.

lol i dont think ive ever seen a goalie joined to celebrate a goal in a huddle

You saw that too? It was funny :laugh:

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Interesting idea. Unfortunately I'm too young to have seen Shutt play and only caught the very trailing end of Lafleur. Definitely thinking outside the box though, unless I'm mistaken I don't recall ever seeing that on the PP. He's certainly shifty and preotects the puck well. He'd be a hell of a pest in front of the net too :laugh:. Bowman really did that? wow. Crazy indeed. Who was the d-man he used like that?

Usually Larry Robinson, but I seem to recall Serge also.

It wasn't regular. Just strategically offered when the PP was misfiring or the opponents had monsters on the ice

bdawg1989*

Give PK the time to develop himself. He WILL make mistakes. Everyone does, even Norris winners. PK is a beast and will continue to improve and get better with time. Let the kid learn. And YES im prolly the biggest PK fanboy before you mention it :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad