Winning in Manhattan - Habs Win 3-1, 1ST IN EAST!!!!

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Did any of you coaching experts consider the fact that PK had a cold/flu and Therrien was using him less to protect him? Back up people theres nothing to see here, just a coach taking care of a player.:shakehead:shakehead
I originally thought that, but I doubt two extra shifts would have killed him. If memory serves correct, he didn't play for a few minutes after the Ranger goal - maybe that's a possibility.

skipp18

Oct 18, 2006
Montreal
Subban is just as much a part of those PP problems as Markov and Diaz. Diaz and Subban get around the same amount of minutes on the PP. Subban actually gets about 45 seconds more than Diaz per game.

I have felt that the issue all along is that Markov and PK both like/need to be on the left on the PP. Markov is clearly more comfortable and effective on the left and Subban needs to be on the left to one time his shot. When PK is used on the right he is simply not as effective.

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Gotta love his celebration.

75556_10151481491336745_1551113854_n.jpg

That's a good avatar... :)

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Subban is just as much a part of those PP problems as Markov and Diaz. Diaz and Subban get around the same amount of minutes on the PP. Subban actually gets about 45 seconds more than Diaz per game.

Diaz produces a point about every 9 1/2 minutes of PP time. Subban produces a point every 11 minutes of PP ice-time. Markov is around 8 1/2 minutes. Bouillon has played 34 minutes on the Powerplay and has yet to produce a point. Maybe it's time to try a forward back there, or double shift Markov, while giving Subban more of his PK duties?

I don't think it's a fair observation.
Markov is always playing with either Diaz or PK on the PP, so obviously, he will average more points per minute.
Diaz played 6games more than PK, all of which he spent with Markov. Since then, both PK and Diaz have been flip flopped between Markov and Bouillon, with PK getting a little more time on the first unit.

The real question is who played more often along side Markov on the PP. The one that did is likely averaging more points than the other per minute. Due to him having played 6 games more, I think it's obvious that Diaz is the one that played more next to Markov. So it's only normal for him to avg more pts per min than PK.

I don't have a problem with that though, at all. But I do think Subban should be used on the 1st PK unit.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Not sure if you guys know this but apparently Prust told Gaborik duringthe game he wasn't too worried with him on the ice (From the NHL.com recap of the game)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Until someone else can win faceoffs ?

He did well, but I don't see him being a "big" part of the team.

He's a warrior. You win with warriors.

When the games get tougher, you will see White excel.

White got benched for crossing the line but he did it because he wanted to protect his teammates. It wasn't being Matt Cooke stupid and trying to injure people. He has to know when to protect and when the game is in the teams hands, where it can't afford to give the other team life.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
We're winning so I'm not going to make a stink. But, I can see issues popping up that are currently being covered up by wins. The PP has gone to poop. We have problems scoring. holding teams to 2 goals in 4 games is not sustainable. Markov is playing a lot of minutes as well. You don't want him tiring by the end of the season.

I feel like Therrien want them to play a more trapping style cause we don't score. I'm not sure I like the idea, feels like he's already pushing the panic button.

As far as Markov, there's no question that he plays too much. He seems tired and he keep throwing the puck on the other zone for no reasons.

disturbedraven

Lets rock
Apr 11, 2005
Peterborough
www.fhockey.com
I feel like Therrien want them to play a more trapping style cause we don't score. I'm not sure I like the idea, feels like he's already pushing the panic button.

As far as Markov, there's no question that he plays too much. He seems tired and he keep throwing the puck on the other zone for no reasons.

Maybe I am way off base, but last time I checked this team forechecks a lot more than a Martin led team. We are more aggressive in the offensive zone, this by default makes this team a less trapping team than it has been in the past seasons.

bdawg1989*

Once Gallagher comes back, Armstrong will sit.

White does everything better. White >>> Armstrong.

This would be my lines :

Bourque-Plek-Gio
Cole-DD-MaxPac
Gallagher-Galchenyuk-Eller
Prust-White-Moen

Kinda solid.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto

Yes I also think he looks like he is tired. I would take him off the PK
for a while. Subban can play more minutes, both on PK and PP. Although
last night he was still maybe recovering from the flu. And on the second of a
back to back.

On the PP we can double shift on of Markov, or Subban. Except in more
defensive situations, where you want a rested D. Bouillon is fine in that role.
Anyhow, the play on the points has largely been good. So no need to call
the hired gun (Kaberle), or (Weber).

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
It appears that Ryan White has redeemed himself.

How we change our minds so easily :D

Seriously, I'm glad for him. He's a young guy who plays with a lot of emotion and intensity, and isn't useless outside of his fighting.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Maybe I am way off base, but last time I checked this team forechecks a lot more than a Martin led team. We are more aggressive in the offensive zone, this by default makes this team a less trapping team than it has been in the past seasons.

Not lately. I think they were not forechecking that much against the Panthers. Even less against the Rangers.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Awfully lame of the Rags not to be humble in defeat. Kinda feeds into the image of them being pompous pretty boys though, I'm glad they're struggling this season.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
God, I think the Rangers play more boring hockey than Ottawa...and that's saying a lot! They have turned Brad Richards into David Steckel, I didn't even know he was playing till he got a penality.

Tortorella's excessive dump and chase hockey is as boring as Lemaire's trap hockey... no creativity whatsoever. The habs lack talent, that's for sure, but at least they aren't making star players into grinders. Poor Gaborik.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Not lately. I think they were not forechecking that much against the Panthers. Even less against the Rangers.

Last night's lack of forechecking was to be expected though. On the road in the 2nd of a back-to-back, 3rd game in 4 nights. Not the kind of situation where you want to turn the game into a track meet.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Tortorella's excessive dump and chase hockey is as boring as Lemaire's trap hockey... no creativity whatsoever. The habs lack talent, that's for sure, but at least they aren't making star players into grinders. Poor Gaborik.

To their credit, they got the puck through the neutral zone with ease all night. They just couldn't recover the puck - props to our dmen and Carey Price for handling the puck well.

PricerStopDaPuck

Jun 30, 2012
Once Gallagher comes back, Armstrong will sit.

White does everything better. White >>> Armstrong.

This would be my lines :

Bourque-Plek-Gio
Cole-DD-MaxPac
Gallagher-Galchenyuk-Eller
Prust-White-Moen

Kinda solid.
Best lines we had iced in a long time IMO. We are still considered terrible on the main board though......

Analyzer*

He's a warrior. You win with warriors.

When the games get tougher, you will see White excel.

White got benched for crossing the line but he did it because he wanted to protect his teammates. It wasn't being Matt Cooke stupid and trying to injure people. He has to know when to protect and when the game is in the teams hands, where it can't afford to give the other team life.

True, but I thought he meant a key player to our success, not a solid support guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad