Winning in Manhattan - Habs Win 3-1, 1ST IN EAST!!!!

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Not to contradict you but personally I think that's part of what made him a bit predictable and in turn made the PP predictable last year. Sure it'll work a few times, but teams catch onto that pretty quick and it gets hard to find lanes. The idea on the PP is to keep guys moving and keep the puck moving to open lanes and make the goalie work and move laterally and have bodies in front.

A quick, sneaky wrist shot sometimes is a better option than a big slap shot too. If you look at PK's goals from the point this year they were short little half wind ups, quick release and more importantly, they were on the net.

Yup Subban and Markov is not an effective combination. I wasn't watching closely tonight but I think they have been split up. I like Subbans footwork and speed on the line but Markov should have the puck and should run the show, no questions about it.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Shoot, Max, shoot! They go in even against Ward and Lundqvist.

Bravo, Galchenyuk, Eller, Plekanec, and Price. Nice work, Bouillon, Emelin, and Prust.

Sleeping Beauty was awakened by a kiss. What'll it take to awaken Cole?

Who needs a power play?

Outstanding D, except that Subban was largely responsible for the Rangers' goal.

Hey, Weber, face it, l'autre Suisse est meilleur que toi!

The repeated icing was a risky strategy that worked. It seems to have encouraged the Rangers initially but ultimately frustrated them when they couldn't cash in. Fortunately, Nash was unavailable.

Les feuilles mortes [translation: dead leaves] couldn't keep up with the Habs' streak. Why don't they just settle comfortably in ninth place, where they belong?

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Vincent Damphousse called Subban the #3 defenceman on this team :facepalm:

I'm so glad this guy didn't become our GM.
Well.. he technically is. Actually, to be honest, he's our #4.

After Markov and Diaz, it's a revolving door between Subban, Emelin, and Gorges usually, with Gorges getting slightly more than Subban and Emelin slightly less.

Subban was actually 6th in ice-time on defense tonight.

MoobMoob

EntertainingasanSTD
Jun 11, 2011
Valhalla
Love that according to Tortorella, both teams played bad but the rags played worse. Sure, not the best game for the habs but that was NOT a bad game. Boring? Sure. Conservative? Sure. Bad? Nope.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Love that according to Tortorella, both teams played bad but the rags played worse. Sure, not the best game for the habs but that was NOT a bad game. Boring? Sure. Conservative? Sure. Bad? Nope.
Habs played smart.

They didn't give up a ton of shots, didn't take stupid penalties, and blocked about 40% of Ranger shots.

They knew their energy levels were down from 3 games in 4 days and played smart.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I'm sure it won't last but it sure feels good to look at the standings in the morning and see the Habs first in the East!

Not the prettiest game last night by either team but 2 points in the bank! EGP line played great. What a play and goal by Galchenyuk!

5 on 5 defense is incredibly solid this year. The word of the season...structure!

MoobMoob

EntertainingasanSTD
Jun 11, 2011
Valhalla
Habs played smart.

They didn't give up a ton of shots, didn't take stupid penalties, and blocked about 40% of Ranger shots.

They knew their energy levels were down from 3 games in 4 days and played smart.

Absolutely. I just found it really amusing seeing torts post game. Habs played a perfect road game. Of course, he couldn't give them any credit so instead he claimed it was the worst game he's been a part of on both sides, with his rags being the worst of two bad teams. The alternative would be to admit losing a tight game against a tired team that by all accounts is less talented. Couldn't just be that the rags played unspectacularly and the habs played a beautiful no-nonsense road game with little energy.

Wasn't a knock on the teams play, rather a knock on a poor sport.

Davebo*

"It's a game of patience when you play a team like this," Lundqvist said.

A team like this? You mean a team with a winning record, that's better than your's? Sure is hank... :rolleyes:

MoobMoob

EntertainingasanSTD
Jun 11, 2011
Valhalla
Why does everybody on other boards think we're playing the trap etc.? Nobody knows what the trap really is.

Because the trap doesn't exist post reinstating the two line pass so any team that plays well in the neutral zone is playing the trap. Also, any effective defensive play=playing the trap.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Well.. he technically is. Actually, to be honest, he's our #4.

After Markov and Diaz, it's a revolving door between Subban, Emelin, and Gorges usually, with Gorges getting slightly more than Subban and Emelin slightly less.

Subban was actually 6th in ice-time on defense tonight.

And it's criminal.

There is a problem when Emelin and Bouillion get more ice time than PK.

MoobMoob

EntertainingasanSTD
Jun 11, 2011
Valhalla
And it's criminal.

Eh...who cares? CH gets the win, with a talented Dman to spare.

It's a positive that despite handcuffing one of our best defensemen we're still winning. Should we hit a losing streak, we've got some talent on D to try out. It's better for his development, as well. Gotta fight for that ice time.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Vincent Damphousse called Subban the #3 defenceman on this team :facepalm:

I'm so glad this guy didn't become our GM.

He is even lower in terms of minutes.

Playing him less is part of the big picture. Give him a smaller role and let him excell at it rather than struggle in a bigger role.

Having Markov around should be a big help to PK's development, Diaz also.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Eh...who cares? CH gets the win, with a talented Dman to spare.

It's a positive that despite handcuffing one of our best defensemen we're still winning. Should we hit a losing streak, we've got some talent on D to try out. It's better for his development, as well. Gotta fight for that ice time.

We're winning so I'm not going to make a stink. But, I can see issues popping up that are currently being covered up by wins. The PP has gone to poop. We have problems scoring. holding teams to 2 goals in 4 games is not sustainable. Markov is playing a lot of minutes as well. You don't want him tiring by the end of the season.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
"It's a game of patience when you play a team like this," Lundqvist said.

A team like this? You mean a team with a winning record, that's better than your's? Sure is hank... :rolleyes:

God, I think the Rangers play more boring hockey than Ottawa...and that's saying a lot! They have turned Brad Richards into David Steckel, I didn't even know he was playing till he got a penality.

lillypad33

Sep 20, 2008
Kitchener
And it's criminal.

I think that Therien managed the game like this on purpose.
Some players received more ice time than normal because it was the 2nd game of back to backs.
Seemed like we saw alot more Eller tonight, and alot more of the 4th line.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
We're winning so I'm not going to make a stink. But, I can see issues popping up that are currently being covered up by wins. The PP has gone to poop. We have problems scoring. holding teams to 2 goals in 4 games is not sustainable. Markov is playing a lot of minutes as well. You don't want him tiring by the end of the season.
Subban is just as much a part of those PP problems as Markov and Diaz. Diaz and Subban get around the same amount of minutes on the PP. Subban actually gets about 45 seconds more than Diaz per game.

Diaz produces a point about every 9 1/2 minutes of PP time. Subban produces a point every 11 minutes of PP ice-time. Markov is around 8 1/2 minutes. Bouillon has played 34 minutes on the Powerplay and has yet to produce a point. Maybe it's time to try a forward back there, or double shift Markov, while giving Subban more of his PK duties?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
And it's criminal.

Did any of you coaching experts consider the fact that PK had a cold/flu and Therrien was using him less to protect him? Back up people theres nothing to see here, just a coach taking care of a player.:shakehead:shakehead

Analyzer*

I know a certain player who was bashed for this kin of celebration. That said, I have no problem with it and am happy for the kid.

If you mean Yakupov, it was because he scored, took off skating and then slide all the way down into his own zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad