Winners and losers of Trade deadline 2024?

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
When Craig Conroy took the job in Calgary, he had six major UFAs on his hands.

He turned 5 of them into 15 assets including two 1st round picks, two 2nd round picks, four Russian/Belorussian roster players, and three prospect defensemen.

He named the 6th UFA captain.

Not a bad bit of managing.
Lindholm
Zadorov
Tanev
Hanifin
Backlund (captain)

Who's the 6th?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
They have no cap space and a bad contract situation, but they really should have added a goalie at least. Bad effort.
Meh. They will live or die depending what Skinner does. Is Jake Allen the guy who would take us to the promised land if Skinner drops the ball?

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Ok, lets judge Conroy:

After 62 games:

2022-23 (Trevling) 27-22-13 (67 points)
2023-24 (Conroy) 31-26-5 (67 points).

Even. No improvement or decline.
Subtracted:
Toffoli
Zadorov
Lindholm
Tanev
Hanifin

Added:
2 1st’s
1 2nd
3 3rd’s
1 4th

If you are even after going through all those changes, while getting a lot younger and a lot of extra draft capital, that sounds like a strong positive, no?
Lindholm
Zadorov
Tanev
Hanifin
Backlund (captain)

Who's the 6th?
Toffoli, who we traded for Sharangovich and a 3rd. Fun fact about that:
Toffoli: 61GP, 26G, 18A
Rango: 62GP, 25G, 20A

Since mid November when Sharangovich was added to the top line to stay, he has 23 goals and 40 points in 47 games. He’s also playing centre now, but juries still out on that.

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
What RH shot D was available who was an upgrade on Ceci. Names please.
Tanev, and walker for sure. Carrier was available before Nashville went on a 8 game win streak. If you think that's 5oo hard for highest paid gm in the league then he could at least have got a top 6 RW. There were a lot of those. I don't need to show those names too do I?

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I think this TDL should bump Mark Stone into the hart consideration. He's doing everything he can to make his team better.

I don’t really see how Vegas got too much better by losing stone. He’s a big part of that team and playing in the playoffs (if they make it) will be much harder without him.

They wingers they got aren’t going to fill that hole in their lineup

they made a bigger add on defense, which they are already strong with but they didn’t do enough to replace stone up front

So they know something we don’t?

Reactions: Nineteen67

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
I don’t really see how Vegas got too much better by losing stone. He’s a big part of that team and playing in the playoffs (if they make it) will be much harder without him.

They wingers they got aren’t going to fill that hole in their lineup

they made a bigger add on defense, which they are already strong with but they didn’t do enough to replace stone up front

So they know something we don’t?
It was literally a joke, implying that Stone will be back for game 1 of the playoffs, fit as a fiddle, and thanks to his LTIR sacrifice just in time for trade deadline, his team will be significantly better in the playoffs than they otherwise would be.

You know, just like the last 2 years.

Reactions: Strangle

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Edmonton got a bit better.

They spent a bit too much on the one thing that they didn't need to.

Defense could have been reinforced a bit.
Goaltending is a massive black hole of question mark. There is the off chance that the unexpected happens, or the likely hood that Goaltending sunk them a third year In a row.

But hey, we like to gamble on a 3 of club and a 6 of spade. Maybe... maybe

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Tanev, and walker for sure. Carrier was available before Nashville went on a 8 game win streak. If you think that's 5oo hard for highest paid gm in the league then he could at least have got a top 6 RW. There were a lot of those. I don't need to show those names too do I?
There was no way on Gods green Earth that Calgary was trading Tanev to the Oilers, and you know it. Walker is no upgrade on Ceci and Carrier was never available. If Nashville had fallen apart, then maybe. Im not convinced he was the right guy anyway. I would’ve liked to have seen a 2RW added too, but nothing rhymed. Tarasenko was only going to Florida. Mantha is streaky as hell. Toffoli might’ve been good but frankly Henrique was a smarter add. Eberle is not what we needed and re-signed in Seattle anyways. The Blues held Buchnevic.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Winners : think Colorado and Carolina best addressed their needs. The two top end clubs with the beefiest analytic departments and that put the most trust in them.
Vegas went big and I respect the mindset but that's a whole lot of question marks they got to put together in a very short time. Takes more than talent alone to win a Stanley Cup, that talent all needs to pulling on the same rope at the same time with the same goal. And even then sometimes it comes down to a bounce off some guys shinpads for a late goal in a game 7. Lot of health questions.

Losers : Edmonton and Toronto, I dunno it's not really that they didn't make a huge splash or anything. Maybe their GMs think their teams are good enough to just make tertiary depth moves. Maybe they've put themselves in such a bind cap wise they really didn't have much choice. But looking at their rosters I think both needed a top 4 D upgrade and at least one more reliable goalie. McDavid and Matthews are finite assets, shit doesn't go on forever. Not sure keeping a lot of powder dry when there's so much pressure on their teams to win was the correct choice.

Ultimately I don't think you can win a cup on deadline day and that the impact of these moves are usually overstated anyway.

I keep hearing from HFboards that Toronto has ‘pressure’ to win, where does this come from?

The pressure to win is gone, it was there but it took a huge hit and almost disappeared after the Montreal series. That’s when leaf fans (the ones who understand hockey at least) realized that there needed to be huge changes to the team to win.

The pressure was totally off as soon as Dubas was fired (or not resigned, whatever).

This is an assessment year, and decisions on the roster and coaching staff will be made in the off season.

The leafs aren’t in win now mode right now, they are gearing up for a retool

It was literally a joke, implying that Stone will be back for game 1 of the playoffs, fit as a fiddle, and thanks to his LTIR sacrifice just in time for trade deadline, his team will be significantly better in the playoffs than they otherwise would be.

You know, just like the last 2 years.

Ya man, I know. I’m in in the joke, read what I wrote again with that in mind

Reactions: Grifter3511

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Subtracted:
Toffoli
Zadorov
Lindholm
Tanev
Hanifin

Added:
2 1st’s
1 2nd
3 3rd’s
1 4th

If you are even after going through all those changes, while getting a lot younger and a lot of extra draft capital, that sounds like a strong positive, no?
It's already been proven that after the first 20 overall picks, the odds of a player becoming an NHL standout, or even playing over 250 games is not great. Once the second round hits, I believe that only 1/3 of the picks go on to have productive careers in the league. Once the 3rd round hits, it's unlikely that picks will play over 50 games.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I keep hearing from HFboards that Toronto has ‘pressure’ to win, where does this come from?

The pressure to win is gone, it was there but it took a huge hit and almost disappeared after the Montreal series. That’s when leaf fans (the ones who understand hockey at least) realized that there needed to be huge changes to the team to win.

The pressure was totally off as soon as Dubas was fired (or not resigned, whatever).

This is an assessment year, and decisions on the roster and coaching staff will be made in the off season.

The leafs aren’t in win now mode right now, they are gearing up for a retool

Ya man, I know. I’m in in the joke, read what I wrote again with that in mind
Flames fans are very much looking forward to Treliving's assessments, decisions on the roster and re-tooling now that he is safely in Toronto.

Reactions: Strangle

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Flames fans are very much looking forward to Treliving's assessments, decisions on the roster and re-tooling now that he is safely in Toronto.

Leaf fans are too

Unfortunately the only thing he can realistically do is ask Nylander and Tavares to waive their NMC or let Marner walk for free

He could have asked Marner to waive this year, we don’t know

If he lets Marner walk, he has to probably make some free agent signings or a few trades in the off season first

If he’s not serious about winning the cup, we will just keep doing what we’ve been doing the past 6 years and sign Marner for $12m and never improve our lineup

Next year might be the year to put Tavares and maybe someone else on LTIR and load up at the deadline

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
I'm fine with what Calgary did.
None of the UFA's wanted to sign and Conroy stuck to his plan of getting them out so nobody walks for free. Can't be disappointed in that.
Lots of picks and some guys are getting the opportunity to show us what they've got.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Leaf fans are too

Unfortunately the only thing he can realistically do is ask Nylander and Tavares to waive their NMC or let Marner walk for free

He could have asked Marner to waive this year, we don’t know

If he lets Marner walk, he has to probably make some free agent signings or a few trades in the off season first

If he’s not serious about winning the cup, we will just keep doing what we’ve been doing the past 6 years and sign Marner for $12m and never improve our lineup

Next year might be the year to put Tavares and maybe someone else on LTIR and load up at the deadline
I would bet my house on the Leafs re-signing Marner so I wouldn't be shocked if they adopted the Vegas/Lightning strategy with Tavares next year. Makes way more sense than retaining at 50% in a trade and and finding a replacement.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
It's already been proven that after the first 20 overall picks, the odds of a player becoming an NHL standout, or even playing over 250 games is not great. Once the second round hits, I believe that only 1/3 of the picks go on to have productive careers in the league. Once the 3rd round hits, it's unlikely that picks will play over 50 games.
So adding picks is pointless you’re saying? Nevermind the fact Calgary got much younger too with players who have room to grow, and prospects/players who look like they just needed a bigger shot. And after all that, as you eloquently pointed out, they are still playing like they were before and now with room to grow.

Age of roster players out: 34, 31, 29, 28, 27
Age of roster players in: 28, 26, 25, 23

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Good job:
  • Vegas
    Made the biggest splashes obviously, grabbed a name no-one realized was available. They go for it all the time, and I applaud them for it.
  • Colorado
    Addressed the biggest issue of their team, did by dealing from a position of strength. Arguably, going from Byram to Walker isn't a downgrade this year. Also beefed up the bottom-6 considerably.
  • Carolina
    Improved their scoring a lot, this has been the biggest issue with them in the past playoffs. Kuznetsov is a risk, but a risk worth having I think.
  • Winnipeg
    Adding two top-6 players is a nice thing for them. Not the flashiest names, but they don't have the flashiest team either. Also Colin Miller, good depth D.

Decent job
  • Florida
    They had a pretty good group already, adding Tarasenko and Okposo there for basically no cost is a nice bit of business. Helps when the players are waiving for only them.
  • Dallas
    Adding Tanev for that cost was a nice bit of business, but I guess I was expecting more.
  • Edmonton
    Made decent acquisitions, price was maybe a bit highis but if it gets them over the top who cares
  • Rangers
    Didn't get the big name winger, but otherwise addressed their needs and didn't spend all that much doing it.
Meh job
  • Nashville
    I don't really get it, shuffling the deckchairs around? They were sellers and buyers at the same time?
  • Toronto
    They basically added two bottom pairing D-men and a 4th line center. A bit underwhelming, but considering their cap/asset situation, not much else they could realistically do.
  • Calgary
    On one hand, I applaud Conroy for sticking with his plan and extracting value out of his UFAs, regardless of them being in a wild card race. On the other hand, I thought he could've gotten more in each of the trades he made.
  • Vancouver
    Did their business well ahead of the deadline, but would've imagined they were looking for a forward. Maybe a better fit than Lindholm. Interesting to see how that dynamic plays out now.
  • Tampa Bay
    I guess they did something
  • New Jersey
    That goalie carousel thing is funny, but is this just a tryout to see who gets the backup job next year? Because selling your best goal scorer isn't really indicating that they are still trying to get in this year.
Bad job:
  • Los Angeles
    Did absolutely nothing, one would imagine they do something. Yeah yeah, cap and whatnot but something is always doable.
  • Penguins
    I thought the return from Guentzel was poor. Also, surely there were other pieces to be sold?
  • Boston
    Very underwhelming deadline for a team that is supposedly one of the contenders in the East
  • San Jose
    Retaining six years for a good player, and only getting two first rounders as compensation? Absolutely brutal. And to do this on top of the EK65 and Burns retentions? Good luck selling anyone a year from now.
Boston had 57K in Cap and little to no assets. Underwhelming does not equal entirely predictable. Always going to be a bridge year. Raise your hand if on Sept 1 you had them as “supposedly contenders in East”. If so kudos to you on your island, as no one else predicted them to be anywhere near where they are now.

Reactions: Blowfish and Sigh

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
There was no way on Gods green Earth that Calgary was trading Tanev to the Oilers, and you know it. Walker is no upgrade on Ceci and Carrier was never available. If Nashville had fallen apart, then maybe. Im not convinced he was the right guy anyway. I would’ve liked to have seen a 2RW added too, but nothing rhymed. Tarasenko was only going to Florida. Mantha is streaky as hell. Toffoli might’ve been good but frankly Henrique was a smarter add. Eberle is not what we needed and re-signed in Seattle anyways. The Blues held Buchnevic.
Wild how much some people search for excuses for oilers management. Happened with Chiarelli too

Reactions: Blue Shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3