Winners and losers of Trade deadline 2024?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Jets.

Toffoli will fit in nicely on the second line. Colin Miller is a good depth piece for the blueline. Winnipeg did not give up very much to acquire the two Devils players either. Chevy has done wonders since the 2023 off season.

When Craig Conroy took the job in Calgary, he had six major UFAs on his hands.

He turned 5 of them into 15 assets including two 1st round picks, two 2nd round picks, four Russian/Belorussian roster players, and three prospect defensemen.

He named the 6th UFA captain.

Not a bad bit of managing.
Too soon to really judge Conroy. He has been the GM for less than 10 months.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Jets.

Toffoli will fit in nicely on the second line. Colin Miller is a good depth piece for the blueline. Winnipeg did not give up very much to acquire the two Devils players either.

Too soon to really judge Conroy. He has been the GM for less than 10 months.

No, it isn’t.

We’ve been watching Treliving fail to make the smart play at basically every turn for the last nine years, and Conroy’s moves have been nothing if not generally sensible.

It’s a refreshing change.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
When Craig Conroy took the job in Calgary, he had six major UFAs on his hands.

He turned 5 of them into 15 assets including two 1st round picks, two 2nd round picks, four Russian/Belorussian roster players, and three prospect defensemen.

He named the 6th UFA captain.

Not a bad bit of managing.
I thought he didn’t get very good value except for Lindholm tbh. That Hanifin trade was pretty bad.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
I thought he didn’t get very good value except for Lindholm tbh. That Hanifin trade was pretty bad.

What are you gonna do when the agent is sabotaging every deal you try to make, even to teams like the Rangers and Bruins?

Shit, Hanifin is gonna extend with the Knights and he couldn’t even commit to that prior to the deal being done to allow the team that gave him $30M to get an extra piece back.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
I am not sure what Edmonton could have done, they needed to move out salary.

Holland possibly could have unloaded the Campbell and/or Ceci contracts to the Sharks or somebody by giving picks. It would have been very painful, but that's what he needed to do. Even with some retention, the Oilers come out way ahead on those two.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
In terms of buyers, I liked what Vegas, Winnipeg, and Colorado did. I think Edmonton could have done more. I think Vancouver standing pat is okay, they made a lot of deals during the year and Lindholm is starting to fit in well.

For sellers, I think Calgary and Pittsburgh could have gone for more quality than quantity. Columbus did well to get Peeke off the books.

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
Anyone saying Calgary clearly has no idea what Conroy was working with between Hanifin and his agent, and Murray Edwards. There is ample evidence even in this thread that while we aren't a clear winner, we're not unhappy with how things turned out

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Winners : think Colorado and Carolina best addressed their needs. The two top end clubs with the beefiest analytic departments and that put the most trust in them.
Vegas went big and I respect the mindset but that's a whole lot of question marks they got to put together in a very short time. Takes more than talent alone to win a Stanley Cup, that talent all needs to pulling on the same rope at the same time with the same goal. And even then sometimes it comes down to a bounce off some guys shinpads for a late goal in a game 7. Lot of health questions.

Losers : Edmonton and Toronto, I dunno it's not really that they didn't make a huge splash or anything. Maybe their GMs think their teams are good enough to just make tertiary depth moves. Maybe they've put themselves in such a bind cap wise they really didn't have much choice. But looking at their rosters I think both needed a top 4 D upgrade and at least one more reliable goalie. McDavid and Matthews are finite assets, shit doesn't go on forever. Not sure keeping a lot of powder dry when there's so much pressure on their teams to win was the correct choice.

Ultimately I don't think you can win a cup on deadline day and that the impact of these moves are usually overstated anyway.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Don't see edm as a loser here , they are fine going into the playoffs with what they have. Gl to everyone else

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
NJ made the correct moves for their situation. Being sellers definitely makes this season a loss, but the deadline itself was well managed.

Toffoli has 60 goals so far this season and last, and he fetched a 2nd? Why didn’t Edmonton pay a 1st?

Doesn’t make sense

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

According to Seravalli, Hanifin nixed upwards of three separate deals by outright saying he wouldn't re-sign with those teams. It's very reminiscent of what Kesler did to us and why we also got an underwhelming return. The only difference is Kesler actually had a full NTC whereas Hanifin pretended like he did.

What Conroy does have to learn is not talking players at their word. He never should have allowed Hanifin to hymn and haw all season. Get an answer from him and move on if he isn't saying what you want to hear.

In any case, I'd say Vegas is the clear winner. Although, Colorado made some pretty stellar moves too.

Loser would be Edmonton if only because I'm just surprised they're yet again not going all in. 16 game winning streak, team morale seemingly high after a horrendous start. You'd think they would want to pull out all the stops before Draisaitl and McDavid cash in.

On the whole though, Ottawa would be my pick. Dorian just f***ed them. Right from the word go, this season has been awful for them. All you can really hope for is a rebound now that everyone from the old guard is finally gone.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Good job:
  • Vegas
    Made the biggest splashes obviously, grabbed a name no-one realized was available. They go for it all the time, and I applaud them for it.
  • Colorado
    Addressed the biggest issue of their team, did by dealing from a position of strength. Arguably, going from Byram to Walker isn't a downgrade this year. Also beefed up the bottom-6 considerably.
  • Carolina
    Improved their scoring a lot, this has been the biggest issue with them in the past playoffs. Kuznetsov is a risk, but a risk worth having I think.
  • Winnipeg
    Adding two top-6 players is a nice thing for them. Not the flashiest names, but they don't have the flashiest team either. Also Colin Miller, good depth D.

Decent job
  • Florida
    They had a pretty good group already, adding Tarasenko and Okposo there for basically no cost is a nice bit of business. Helps when the players are waiving for only them.
  • Dallas
    Adding Tanev for that cost was a nice bit of business, but I guess I was expecting more.
  • Edmonton
    Made decent acquisitions, price was maybe a bit highis but if it gets them over the top who cares
  • Rangers
    Didn't get the big name winger, but otherwise addressed their needs and didn't spend all that much doing it.
Meh job
  • Nashville
    I don't really get it, shuffling the deckchairs around? They were sellers and buyers at the same time?
  • Toronto
    They basically added two bottom pairing D-men and a 4th line center. A bit underwhelming, but considering their cap/asset situation, not much else they could realistically do.
  • Calgary
    On one hand, I applaud Conroy for sticking with his plan and extracting value out of his UFAs, regardless of them being in a wild card race. On the other hand, I thought he could've gotten more in each of the trades he made.
  • Vancouver
    Did their business well ahead of the deadline, but would've imagined they were looking for a forward. Maybe a better fit than Lindholm. Interesting to see how that dynamic plays out now.
  • Tampa Bay
    I guess they did something
  • New Jersey
    That goalie carousel thing is funny, but is this just a tryout to see who gets the backup job next year? Because selling your best goal scorer isn't really indicating that they are still trying to get in this year.
Bad job:
  • Los Angeles
    Did absolutely nothing, one would imagine they do something. Yeah yeah, cap and whatnot but something is always doable.
  • Penguins
    I thought the return from Guentzel was poor. Also, surely there were other pieces to be sold?
  • Boston
    Very underwhelming deadline for a team that is supposedly one of the contenders in the East
  • San Jose
    Retaining six years for a good player, and only getting two first rounders as compensation? Absolutely brutal. And to do this on top of the EK65 and Burns retentions? Good luck selling anyone a year from now.

Last edited:

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Winners: The buyers
Losers: The majority of sellers

There aren't many teams who were real sellers that got exceptional deals.

What was the best return a seller got? Montreal getting a 1st and 3rd (possibly 2nd) for the Monahan and Allen trades?

I have no idea what the Sharks and Devils have been thinking

Reactions: Devonator

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
IMO the NYR didn’t adequately replace Kakko/1RW. They boosted their depth but failed to upgrade the top-end of their roster like some other contenders.

With Lafreniere emerging as the teams top RW, Roslovic is a solid add as the teams 2nd line RW.

No one available (that the Rangers could afford cap-wise) at modest prices were going to move the needle there.

I have no issue with what the Rangers did yesterday.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
No, it isn’t.

We’ve been watching Treliving fail to make the smart play at basically every turn for the last nine years, and Conroy’s moves have been nothing if not generally sensible.

It’s a refreshing change.
Ok, lets judge Conroy:

After 62 games:

2022-23 (Trevling) 27-22-13 (67 points)
2023-24 (Conroy) 31-26-5 (67 points).

Even. No improvement or decline.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
  • Boston
    Very underwhelming deadline for a team that is supposedly one of the contenders in the East

I think I'd disagree with this one. They didn't really need to do too much. Top 5 for goals scored and top 5 for goals against in the East. They just needed a bit of size and depth and they got that with Maroon and Peeke. They didn't make a splash but didn't really need to.

I'd have them in your meh section personally.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Ok, lets judge Conroy:

After 62 games:

2022-23 (Trevling) 27-22-13 (67 points)
2023-24 (Conroy) 31-26-5 (67 points).

Even. No improvement or decline.

Big difference is 2022/23, we were trying to be a playoff contending team, even at that point.
This year, Conroy has admitted at the start of the year we're going to re-tool (rebuild is kind of a banned word according to our owners), and had a bunch of free agents and media drama (because our last couple free agents left us high-and-dry for nothing). Instead, Conroy has had the same record as the "competing for the playoffs" team while doing a re-tool and actively selling off 2 of our top 6 players (including our leading goal scorer in Toffoli, and our top 2 leading point-getters, Toffoli and Lindholm), as well as half our D-core (including our entire middle pair).

67 points after 62 games last year was severe underperforming. 67 points after 62 games this year, especially after the first couple trades (Toffoli, Zadorov, Lindholm) is over-performing (or at the least, performing as expected).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad