Winners and losers of Trade deadline 2024?

Nov 24, 2006
Not sure if they are a winner, a loser, or they simply didn’t really play but the Columbus Blue Jackets intrigued me.

They didn’t really do much and I don’t really understand the direction of that team.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
As an Oiler fan I am so on the fence. These are true:
- we didn't get the one piece we really needed: top 4 RD
- we upgraded the lineup significantly
- After the deadline, our odds of winning a cup have gone down.

I want to say we lost, but I do think that RD wasn't there. We had the best offer for Tanev. We could have went after someone else, but that's someone who didn't move and wasn't rumored. (ie any of those names like Jensen)

All of Winnipeg Colorado and Vegas added the 3 pieces that we needed and some of them spent less than us to do it. Rico Carrick Stecher pales in comparison to Toffoli Miller Monahan, and they spent like… an extra 2nd for those adds?

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
not having enough time to gel with these clowns

I haven't seen too many clowns that have Stanley Cup rings. A few, but not many.
But yes, it will be tough for Hertl in particular to get acclimated but since he's not a rental he'll have years to get comfortable.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Winner: buyers. Feels like prices were lower than last year. I think Vegas and Colorado improved the most. Also- Casey Mitts and other players headed to potential cup runs. Gotta be an interesting head space, no playoffs to “hey here’s Nate, he wants a 2nd one.”

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I think there's different ways to view winners and losers, and some of them can be viewed the same way.

Winners - well, if you view your shot at the cup going up then you can be considered a winner.
Winners - If you didn't give up a ton or make bad moves just to make moves.
Winners - You gave up nothing because you didn't view yourself as a top contender even if you finish in the playoff race.

Losers - You spent too many assets
Losers - You did nothing and every team in the race got better.
Losers - You lost in the deals you made.

For the team I root for, NYR didn't give up a lot. They also didn't get back a lot. They got back mid pieces that should slightly help them. Did they do enough to be talked about the same was as Colorado, Vegas, or Winnipeg? Nope. Absolutely not. But they also didn't deplete their prospect pool just to make moves and grab the bigger fish.

scoopscj

Feb 13, 2009
Central Joy-See
You can chalk up the Devils as losers for this year, but this year has been a huge disappointment . I think this trade deadline gave them some more picks to entice a more solid goalie acquisition in the offseason. So, looking ahead it's probably a win. Tyler T wasn't going to resign as he wanted more term, we remove Vitek's last year and cap hit, and we trade a Colin Miller's shoot first defense for a future pick. Are they worse off since the trade deadline, probably a little, but I'm happy to replace our really shitty goaltender with a slightly less shitty goaltender. Quite pleased with that in truth.

I'm pulling for the Oilers. Love Rico with the Devil's and I want him to lift that cup.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think Carolina did a good job, but who knows how Guentzel will perform sans Crosby. Hes been stapled to him for his entire career.

Now if he keeps up his pace or close to it, it'll make a good trade look even better. Dubas got schooled there.

I think they can help Kuz get his career back on track. He will be playing for a great coach and away from the spotlight.

Reactions: gary69

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Lou Lamoriello slept right though the deadline as usual.

The Islanders, Kings and Canucks were the only teams that didn’t make a trade during the trade deadline week, the Canucks made a move, more than a month before the deadline.
To be fair to Lou, after trading away a bunch of picks in years past in the next 3 years, he has kept 7 of 9 round 1-3 picks going forward.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
The Devils are 2023-2024 losers/disappointments, but they're not trade deadline losers. They set themselves up to be very active this summer and fix their goaltending issues once and for all.

That’s a fascinating story. If the Markstrom trade went through a few weeks ago Lindy woulda likely kept his job. If they went on a run he coulda even been there next year, despite everything.

Instead Calgary changes their minds, pissed Markstrom off, and Devils did the smart thing in getting rid of an ineffective coach.

Idk, guess the reverberations aren’t too massive, but imagine they’d gone for a goalie and then gone for it. With Ruff still. Probably wise to backup and re-assess.

Bijelo

Oct 23, 2022
First Flat
The winners:

Panthers, Golden Knights, Hurricanes, Avalanche, Maple Leafs, Rangers and Devils.

The losers:

Jets, Sharks, Bruins, Lightning, Penguins, Kings, Senators, Islanders and Oilers.

• Haha
Reactions: Trow and MardyBum

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Just because a team doesn't make a big splash does not mean they are losers. This is a simpleton view. It just means they were unable or unwilling to pay some prices. You also have to look at what the buying team gave up and not just at what they got and what their longer term outlook is. The Rangers had a good deadline and didn't overspend. They got better with the additions of Wennberg and Roslovic, both with retention, for a modest cost. Both of these players add elements that were needed and make the forward group deeper and more versatile.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
At this deadline, the winners were the buyers and the losers were sellers.

For some reason, prices were insanely deflated at the deadline. Toffoli for a 2nd and 3rd really stood out to me as an example of that, that seems like a ridiculously cheap price for him. Zucker for a 6th was also absurdly low.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The winners:

Panthers, Golden Knights, Hurricanes, Avalanche, Maple Leafs, Rangers and Devils.

The losers:

Jets, Sharks, Bruins, Lightning, Penguins, Kings, Senators, Islanders and Oilers.
Meh I wouldn't call the Leafs winners or losers. They didn't get the top pairing D that we desperately needed, then again we didn't piss away assets for rental or non impact players.

It sucks, like I was really hoping we added someone to help us make that push but I understand why we didn't. The cost is extremely high and a guy like Cowen or Minten on an ELC next year will provide far more flexibility to the lineup/GM.

We may make the 2nd round this year, not hopeful about an ECF appearance, hoping the plan is to go all in next year. Just bummed out we didn't do more to make a playoff push, considering the years Matthews/Nylander are having. Then again anything can happen in the playoffs, injury to an important player or your goalie getting hot.

Reactions: Strangle

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
The Devils are 2023-2024 losers/disappointments, but they're not trade deadline losers. They set themselves up to be very active this summer and fix their goaltending issues once and for all.
Absolutely agree. The simpleton view on here is the biggest buyers are the only winners. That's horseshit. The Devils did what they needed to do for the immediate future and to fix the goaltending issue.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
At this deadline, the winners were the buyers and the losers were sellers.

For some reason, prices were insanely deflated at the deadline. Toffoli for a 2nd and 3rd really stood out to me as an example of that, that seems like a ridiculously cheap price for him. Zucker for a 6th was also absurdly low.

Ok, so it’s not just me who noticed that- dunno if there’s discussion of it elsewhere, but ya, prices seemed good this year! Especially given that it’s supposed to be a weaker draft, you’d think some of those picks woulda been a round or two higher (or greater in number).

I think things like the Jeannot madness may have reset the market a bit- just makes it a bit stark how rarely deadline deals work out.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00