Winners and losers of Trade deadline 2024?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Who got better?
Who got worse?
Who didn't do enough?

Winners:
- Vegas is the obvious big winner of today IMO, they were already a strong team and now they are f***ing stacked and ready for the war
HM to Florida, Colorado and Winnipeg

Losers:
- Ottawa: the Tarasenko deal is a turdrrible asset management
- Edmonton is super stacked up front but they lack talents/depth in defense, and they failed to adress that. Their goaltending is suspicious at best, and they are an injury away from catastrophe
Seriously. Imagine one of Hymam, Ekholm or RNHs is hurt. They’d be toast.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If one of Allen or Kahkonen do well and Holtz breaks out the Devils could be winners.

NJ is done for this season. They had a good TDL in that they recognized that and sold rather than standing pat or trying to add. And they stayed away from a long Toffoli extension which they don’t need given the deals they already handed out to Palat and Meier and Bratt. Moving out next year of Vanacek and getting a less expensive Allen makes sense from a cost and reset perspective. They added some extra picks and saved some salary. Holtz is not confident right now. He needs a break and a new coach that he can work with but the way the league is moving he needs to pick up his pace to be successful.

Reactions: Bone Density

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Byram looks like a good fit. I’m sure Granato will coach that out of him soon though. Two games and multiple times you can see Byram look around and be dumbfounded by how poor the system is and how dumb the team around him is playing. It’s kind of funny actually. Today he had the puck behind his net and everyone on the team just took off. He stood there looking for anyone to pass to…but they were all heading down ice leaving him to get pressured from both sides. He got out of it but man…team is dumb. Last game he was moving around on the PP and the rest of the team is told to just stand where they are so he kept bumping into guys wondering wtf they were doing.

Get a real coach and this could work out.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Personally all I think Colorado did is go sideways . Getting Nichushkin back is way more valuable than anything they did .

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
For what he had to work with, I'm gonna call Flames Craig Conroy a winner. Over the past few days, weeks, and months he got rid of a number of older players who publicly said they didn't want to play in Calgary and he replaced them with younger prospects and draft picks. It seems to be working for the Flames.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Ok, lets judge Conroy:

After 62 games:

2022-23 (Trevling) 27-22-13 (67 points)
2023-24 (Conroy) 31-26-5 (67 points).

Even. No improvement or decline.

All the important veterans are the same, so that’s not exactly surprising.

But now they have a bunch of young players getting experience and a lot of roster flexibility.

Conroy can sell virtually his entire roster with the exception of Huberdeau, Weegar and Kadri over the next two years.

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
Ok. So do you think Calgary was going to trade Tanev to the Oilers?
That's just one of the potential trades.just one out of a dozen ways to improve this team so sure focus on that. And yes I do they made 2 big trades with Canucks

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think Carolina did a good job, but who knows how Guentzel will perform sans Crosby. Hes been stapled to him for his entire career.
Anyone who watched Guentzel play with Malkin. Or can look up those numbers.

There's a good reason why many Pens fans preferred a line-up with Guentzel-Malkin-Rust. That line abused the opposition.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Catastrophic?

Here is some trivia for you:

One of the most mocked tdl moves of the past 20 years was Paul Gaustad, a 4th line , 25 point player, traded to the predators for a first round pick.

The player chosen with that pick?

One of the most mocked first round picks of the past 20 years, Mark Jankowski.

Turned out being a joke for a joke.

The only tdl moves I can think of that really backfired was the erat for forsberg trade.

And the forsberg pick was actually colorados pick, which was sent over to acquire varlamov from the caps
Yeah, a late 1st has a 20-25% chance of becoming anything important (top6 F, top4 D). Trade four in a row and you've probably lost one good player. I'm not a big fan of buying at the deadline but that's more because imo they don't usually help as much as expected, chemistry, knowing your coach, teammates, system, it takes time.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Seriously. Imagine one of Hymam, Ekholm or RNHs is hurt. They’d be toast.

I think they could survive if it's one of their forward group (besides McJesus and Draisatl obviously)

Ekholm would be a huge loss, but if Skinner goes down they are f***ed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad