Winners and losers of Trade deadline 2024?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I think I'd disagree with this one. They didn't really need to do too much. Top 5 for goals scored and top 5 for goals against in the East. They just needed a bit of size and depth and they got that with Maroon and Peeke. They didn't make a splash but didn't really need to.

I'd have them in your meh section personally.
I can see that. I guess it was just underwhelming when they were talking about possibly getting Lindholm or even PLD. Not obviously just their fault, they needed Vancouver/LA to get moves done first

Reactions: Iwishihadaspacebar

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
Loser- Buffalo. Didn't traded VO , maybe he's next captain. Also could do Girgensons but seems to he's ok with losing.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
IMO the NYR didn’t adequately replace Kakko/1RW. They boosted their depth but failed to upgrade the top-end of their roster like some other contenders.

Eh, the RW on the line really hasn't been the problem at all this season, it's been Zibanejad & to a lesser extent Kreider. They've given up in-zone offensive work almost entirely, and have focused almost exclusively on rush attempts. They're one and done in the O-Zone the most by far of any line the Rangers have, and it's been that way no matter who's been the 3rd man. Who they usually tend to ignore instead of playing with themselves.

Roslovic sliding in at 2RW will better fit that line with his skating and passing ability (historically they've looked better with pass-first guys like Zuccarello & Buchnevich than shooters like Tarasenko or Vatrano). It also allows Kakko to slide down to the 3rd line with Wennberg and Cuylle, which has looked excellent in a grinding, cycling, puck-control offensive attack.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Bad job:
  • Penguins
    I thought the return from Guentzel was poor. Also, surely there were other pieces to be sold?
Not really, no. We were surprised that Hellberg was the goalie that was traded and not Nedeljkovic, but otherwise Ned, Carter, and the currently-injured Jansen Harkins were our only upcoming UFAs who weren't moved.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
The cup favourites won because they were able to get players to waive to come to them. The fringe teams and "non-contender but still playoffs" lost because players wouldn't waive to go to them.

Like look at where players went. The teams that did the best were the ones we were talking about already as being the cup favorites. GMs can do good or bad for sure but let's not act like most of these deals had no input from the player.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Winners and losers are determined in the playoffs. I love when teams spend a lot of assets to improve only to fail miserably in playoffs.

Here are some fun predictions:

Vegas will be a big loser for having spent a ton and chemistry will be missing because Hertl and Stone will be rusty game 1 and Hertl won't understand what his role is in this team not having enough time to gel with these clowns.

Toronto will lose first round. It is sad that they won one round last year. Can't get that monkey on their back again. But we will find other ways to laugh at them. Plenty of fun stats to back that up.

Only one team will win the cup, making all the other winners into losers.

• Love
Reactions: Laus723

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Winners are obviously Vegas....incredible what they did this week....also like what the Jets did ....very nice adds......Losers I suppose Toronto who should have done something but didn't......
I am far from a Leaf fan but I think they were smart to not do much. Adding smaller pieces would not change much. I dont think they can beat Boston or Fla in a series so why waste the assets.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Winnipeg. They got 2 legit top 6 players that show up every playoffs for decent picks.

Very underrated moves and they will be able to re-resign both of them after this season. Well play!

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Wanna know what would be entertaining? Vegas loses 4 straight games in round 1. I'm not being sinister. It would just be a good story.

If vegas or carolina faulter in the first or second round... THAT is a loss. They gave up tge farm for the upgrades.

On the topic of losers.. I dont really know why anyone thinks toronto and edmonton lost? They gave up no draft capital or prospects.

Edmonton has been absolutely rolling as of late, and the Leafs haven't had much luck picking up the higher end rentals. I say keep the chemistry and the draft capital and hope they roll through.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Felt like Carolina tried to hard and might have ruined their mojo
You could be right, but if they had done little, like the past two trade deadlines, then people would have complained that "Carolina afraid to make a move and give up picks/prospects so they won't make it past the ECF yet again".

There would be no middle ground.

In the end, only 1 team that "wins" rental deals at the trade deadline. It is the team that wins it all.

Reactions: SlavinAway

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Meanwhile

Lou Lamoriello slept right though the deadline as usual.

The Islanders, Kings and Canucks were the only teams that didn’t make a trade during the trade deadline week, the Canucks made a move, more than a month before the deadline.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Wanna know what would be entertaining? Vegas loses 4 straight games in round 1. I'm not being sinister. It would just be a good story.

If vegas or carolina faulter in the first or second round... THAT is a loss. They gave up tge farm for the upgrades.

On the topic of losers.. I dont really know why anyone thinks toronto and edmonton lost? They gave up no draft capital or prospects.

Edmonton has been absolutely rolling as of late, and the Leafs haven't had much luck picking up the higher end rentals. I say keep the chemistry and the draft capital and hope they roll through.
Prefer Vegas and Canes to do well. I want more teams making moves instead of being boring.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I thought he didn’t get very good value except for Lindholm tbh. That Hanifin trade was pretty bad.
That's on Hanifin. When the player controls where they're willing to go, you're not going to get value. Same with Tarasenko in Ottawa. He'd only go to the Panthers, and it resulted in a terrible return. So bad, I'd have been tempted to say #$%^ it. Don't trade him. Send him home. Tell him he can go to Florida to be with his family, but he won't be playing. He'll be watching the playoffs on tv.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Jets and Knights are winners for me.

Leafs and Oilers are losers for me.

Not sure what to think about Sharks and the Hertl trade. Could they have done better if they waited until the summer? Can Edstrom be more than the 3C Button projects him to be? The 2025 first will be how late in the round? They gave up two thirds, which will be early in the rounds, to move the contract. I get moving him. He's 30. Just wondering if Grier might have flinched.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
A few winners on the buyers side, I wont repeat them.

For sellers, I think Montreal had a lowkey solid TDL period. Still in the middle of a rebuild, they got a 1st for Monahan.

And a 3rd, potentially a 2nd for Allen - who, despite having some good years as a backup, is still a career backup paid 3.8M and with 0.891 and 0.892 save percentages in the past 2 seasons. Trading him also lets Montreal play the younger Monteambeault and Primeau without having a 3 goalies caroussel.

Catastrophic?

Here is some trivia for you:

One of the most mocked tdl moves of the past 20 years was Paul Gaustad, a 4th line , 25 point player, traded to the predators for a first round pick.

The player chosen with that pick?

One of the most mocked first round picks of the past 20 years, Mark Jankowski.

Turned out being a joke for a joke.

The only tdl moves I can think of that really backfired was the erat for forsberg trade.

And the forsberg pick was actually colorados pick, which was sent over to acquire varlamov from the caps

Few tdl moves were as catastrophic as obviously bad as the Erat for Forsberg trade, but HM to Tatar vs 1st, 2nd, 3rd pick.

The picks amounted to not much, but that obviously depends on scouting and development, and Tatar was terrible with the Golden Knights.

And ironically enough, he was used im the trade that saw Nick Suzuki out.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
A few winners on the buyers side, I wont repeat them.

For sellers, I think Montreal had a lowkey solid TDL period. Still in the middle of a rebuild, they got a 1st for Monahan.

And a 3rd, potentially a 2nd for Allen - who, despite having some good years as a backup, is still a career backup paid 3.8M and with 0.891 and 0.892 save percentages in the past 2 seasons. Trading him also lets Montreal play the younger Monteambeault and Primeau without having a 3 goalies caroussel.

Few tdl moves were as catastrophic as obviously bad as the Erat for Forsberg trade, but HM to Tatar vs 1st, 2nd, 3rd pick.

The picks amounted to not much, but that obviously depends on scouting and development, and Tatar was terrible with the Golden Knights.

And ironically enough, he was used im the trade that saw Nick Suzuki out.
The tatar trades were absolutely ridiculous for Vegas and really illustrate how much artillery Vegas had to work with out of the gate.

Reactions: abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

Not sure what to think about Sharks and the Hertl trade. Could they have done better if they waited until the summer? Can Edstrom be more than the 3C Button projects him to be? The 2025 first will be how late in the round? They gave up two thirds, which will be early in the rounds, to move the contract. I get moving him. He's 30. Just wondering if Grier might have flinched.

Yeah this trade felt a bit like a desperation move to get out of that contract. How's Hertl's injury and hiw is he recuperating? Do the Sharks know something that the rest of the league don't?

I was pretty critical of the Sharks in the moment, but have sinced cooled down and I think it might have been one of those "rip the bandaid" moments thay we often criticize GMs for not doing, or doing too late. Imagine Hertl comes back from injury and puts up 40 pts next year on a terrible Sharks team. A year older, looking worse than ever, whats his value gonna be like?

On the other hand, I look back at a similar past Vegas trade like the Pacioretty for Suzuki one, and think these short term deals are ever so slowly catching up to them. Theyre not a straight up disaster, but imagine them having Suzuki on the roster right now? No need to trade for Hertl, so they keep that 1st and prospect (or maybe use them to load up somewhere else?). And Suzuki is potentially better than Hertl is now, and for the next decade.

Long winded answer to say... depending how the prospect and 1st fare, we might look at the Hertl trade very differently in 5 years.

The tatar trades were absolutely ridiculous for Vegas and really illustrate how much artillery Vegas had to work with out of the gate.

Props to them, they nailed the expansion draft though. The best value they got was actually from side deals, and not due to the rules

Had GMs simply played the rules, Vegas would have missed out on quite a bit.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Winners of the trade deadline:

Vegas- Mantha , Hanifin , Hertl

Winnipeg- Toffoli , Miller , Monohan

Colorado- Mittelstadt , Walker , Trenin

Tampa- Duclair , Dumba

Florida- Tarasenko , Okposo

Carolina- Guentzel , Kuznetsov

Reactions: Laus723

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think Vegas took themselves out of any chance they had at contending for the Cup this season, but set themselves up for next year if the sign Hanifin.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
As an Oiler fan I am so on the fence. These are true:
- we didn't get the one piece we really needed: top 4 RD
- we upgraded the lineup significantly
- After the deadline, our odds of winning a cup have gone down.

I want to say we lost, but I do think that RD wasn't there. We had the best offer for Tanev. We could have went after someone else, but that's someone who didn't move and wasn't rumored. (ie any of those names like Jensen)

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

Oilers spent their 1st, a 3rd and 2 4ths… already didnt have their 2nd…. What draft capital do they retain?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Leafs? They did a surprisingly good job this year. At this stage they have to keep assets. Until they get out from under Tavares’ contract and decide on Marner they’re in no man’s land.
Having said that, the East is not very good, on paper, and the only real contender is Florida, so getting to round two is within reach.

Reactions: Strangle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad