Winners and losers of Trade deadline 2024?

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Who got better?
Who got worse?
Who didn't do enough?

Winners:
- Vegas is the obvious big winner of today IMO, they were already a strong team and now they are f***ing stacked and ready for the war
HM to Florida, Colorado and Winnipeg

Losers:
- Ottawa: the Tarasenko deal is a turdrrible asset management
- Edmonton is super stacked up front but they lack talents/depth in defense, and they failed to adress that. Their goaltending is suspicious at best, and they are an injury away from catastrophe

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think there were a lot more losers than winners this year. Vegas, Winnipeg, Florida, and Carolina stand out as the biggest winners to me.

The losers list seems long: New Jersey, San Jose, Toronto, Boston, Tampa, New York (both), Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, Ottawa, Edmonton.

New Jersey got worse, feels like Toronto/Boston/New York Rangers/Tampa didn’t do enough to establish themselves as contenders (and I think the Leafs actually got worse?), LA has to feel down about losing out on Ullmark, Pittsburgh… woof, San Jose… woof. For the Islanders, did Lou sleep through the deadline again? Why did Edmonton not do anything substantive?

It seems like a bunch of teams did stuff for the sake of doing stuff and very few teams made moves that could really improve their team this season.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Winners: Vegas, Winnipeg and Carolina
Losers: Edmonton. Needed a veteran goalie and a couple of upgrades on D. But basically stood pat while the competition made major improvements. Looks like another year wasted unless a lot of things break their way. Has to be disheartening for McDavid.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Jersey did good in a bad situation, They got some assets from a guy who wasn't going to resign and a defenseman who was the security blanket no longer needed for Nemec.

Devils got an okay veteran 1a/1b goalies for the rest of the season, if they go on a run? great! If not the rest of the team has goalies they can depend on more then two rookie goaltenders.

Loser? Calgary, This deadline exposed that their ownership and GM are wanting to row in different directions.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Winner: Colorado, adding a solid 2C and a top 4 RHD was very shrewd.

Loser: Edmonton, I cannot believe they are not 100% all-in with McDrai in their primes and not signed longterm. Now is the time you push all your chips in

Ken Holland will revive his legacy by continuing to buy long after they are gone but you will make the playoffs for 50 years straight. Ken will operate from a glass jar.

• Haha
Reactions: Shark Finn

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Winner: Colorado, adding a solid 2C and a top 4 RHD was very shrewd.

Loser: Edmonton, I cannot believe they are not 100% all-in with McDrai in their primes and not signed longterm. Now is the time you push all your chips in

I am not sure what Edmonton could have done, they needed to move out salary.

The biggest loser is me, I watched all day just to miss the big trades at the :( end.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Rangers as slight winners imo. Gave up essentially nothing of value to fill 2 biggest holes up front in lineup. Revamping the D was always going to be an offseason task as soon as Hanifin wouldn't re-sign here if traded.

IMO the NYR didn’t adequately replace Kakko/1RW. They boosted their depth but failed to upgrade the top-end of their roster like some other contenders.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think there were a lot more losers than winners this year. Vegas, Winnipeg, Florida, and Carolina stand out as the biggest winners to me.

The losers list seems long: New Jersey, San Jose, Toronto, Boston, Tampa, New York (both), Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, Ottawa, Edmonton.

New Jersey got worse, feels like Toronto/Boston/New York Rangers/Tampa didn’t do enough to establish themselves as contenders (and I think the Leafs actually got worse?), LA has to feel down about losing out on Ullmark, Pittsburgh… woof, San Jose… woof. For the Islanders, did Lou sleep through the deadline again? Why did Edmonton not do anything substantive?

It seems like a bunch of teams did stuff for the sake of doing stuff and very few teams made moves that could really improve their team this season.
We really don't know who the winners and losers are and it reminds me of the Jack Hughes for the Hart and Art Ross a couple of weeks in then reality hit.

Ultimately if one is cynical every team except for one will be a loser and we will hear about it all summer long.

Last edited:

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
We really don't know who the winners and losers are and it reminds me of the Jack Hughes for the Hart and Art Ross a couple of weeks in then reality hit.

Utimeteialy if one is cynical every team except for one will be a loser and we will hear about it all summer long.

Exactly.

The real losers will be the ones who gave away 1st and 2nd round draft picks but still didn’t win the Cup.

And if the acquisitions were UFAs who leave, it’ll be a catastrophic loser situation.

Reactions: Lilou

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Exactly.

The real losers will be the ones who gave away 1st and 2nd round draft picks but still didn’t win the Cup.

And if the acquisitions were UFAs who leave, it’ll be a catastrophic loser situation.
Catastrophic?

Here is some trivia for you:

One of the most mocked tdl moves of the past 20 years was Paul Gaustad, a 4th line , 25 point player, traded to the predators for a first round pick.

The player chosen with that pick?

One of the most mocked first round picks of the past 20 years, Mark Jankowski.

Turned out being a joke for a joke.

The only tdl moves I can think of that really backfired was the erat for forsberg trade.

And the forsberg pick was actually colorados pick, which was sent over to acquire varlamov from the caps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad