News Article: Wings would like to re-sign Cleary if they can trade someone (he's NOT signed) #142

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...niel-Cleary-isn-t-top-Wings-do-list-right-now

Interesting that Tootoo, Sammy and Emmerton are mentioned as trade bait. If Sammy is too injured to be bought out, I find it hard to believe he could be traded. Emmerton, yes, but his cap hit isn't that much.

But, if Holland moves Tootoo to resign Cleary, that's a mistake.

Interesting that the Wings have cut ties with Brunner and the estimation that the Nose will get 4 mill per year (yikes!)

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
There are other players I would rather get rid of than Cleary.
I do not know how much Cleary wants, but he should not get more than 1,5.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...niel-Cleary-isn-t-top-Wings-do-list-right-now

Interesting that Tootoo, Sammy and Emmerton are mentioned as trade bait. If Sammy is too injured to be bought out, I find it hard to believe he could be traded. Emmerton, yes, but his cap hit isn't that much.

But, if Holland moves Tootoo to resign Cleary, that's a mistake.

Interesting that the Wings have cut ties with Brunner and the estimation that the Nose will get 4 mill per year (yikes!)
I think we ought to mention the title of the article, so as to clue people in to what it's about.

Without further ado: Daniel Cleary isn't at top of Wings' to-do list right now

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
There are other players I would rather get rid of than Cleary.
I do not know how much Cleary wants, but he should not get more than 1,5.

He's going to get close to double that so be prepared to be extremely disappointed.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
The problem with Cleary isn't what he is paid its where he is played. The guy would not be a top 6 player on 29 other teams. Babcock is a fantastic coach but his utilization of Cleary is a real head scratcher.

I don't want him to re-sign because I don't want to see more Cleary on the top 6 and PP. Its insane the guy contrinutes nothing in that role.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Hasn't Kenny been shopping those expendable guys (Sammy, Toots, Cola before he was bought out) for weeks now? I remember before the draft both Cola and Toots were being actively shopped and yet neither have been traded. Hopefully this means that KH cannot find a trading partner and will be forced to let Cleary walk. :crossfing

crashman

Hasn't Kenny been shopping those expendable guys (Sammy, Toots, Cola before he was bought out) for weeks now? I remember before the draft both Cola and Toots were being actively shopped and yet neither have been traded. Hopefully this means that KH cannot find a trading partner and will be forced to let Cleary walk. :crossfing

Not being able to unload Sammy and/or Tootoo is worse than re-signing Dan Cleary to a bad contract. Cleary can help this team, Tootoo can't, and Sammy can't if he's always injured.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
What? Give me a break bro. :laugh:

Even if you don't want Cleary back, that's still a pretty true statement. I don't mind Tootoo, but he isn't playing in the playoffs on the majority of good teams in the playoffs. Cleary isn't very good these days, but he still finds ways to be useful. I know people keep harping on this but he did manage to produce in the playoffs more ways than Tootoo could.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I'll take one year of a bad contract over 3 years of a bad contract anyday. Tootoo I'm sure could be traded for a draft pick (5th or later). But I'd rather he stay for 1.9 then pay cleary 3.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I'll take one year of a bad contract over 3 years of a bad contract anyday. Tootoo I'm sure could be traded for a draft pick (5th or later). But I'd rather he stay for 1.9 then pay cleary 3.

That's my thinking as well, if its a 1 year deal Cleary>Sammy as stated above he still finds ways to be useful and he a guy who knows how to play in the playoffs. I just don't want him for 3 years where he'll be 35-37 even slower and taking a spot away from guys like Ferraro and Sheahan.

Detroit Sports*

Tootoo is better than Cleary right now.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
hope Holland reads what fans like or not like
Tatar in Cleary out
Do it KANNY

crashman

What? Give me a break bro. :laugh:

Tootoo was a healthy scratch in the playoffs, he's literally of no use to the team.

People's criticism of Cleary seems pretty irrational at this point. The guy played pretty well in the playoffs.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Tootoo was a healthy scratch in the playoffs, he's literally of no use to the team.

People's criticism of Cleary seems pretty irrational at this point. The guy played pretty well in the playoffs.

So what? I seriously HATE that this team got a 3-1 lead against Chicago. People totally forgot about the regular season or just didn't watch it at all. I forgot that the WINGS were the Broadway Bullies out there. The Wings are still an undersized team that lacks top end speed for the most part.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I forgot that the WINGS were the Broadway Bullies out there.

Broadway Bullies. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

bandpic10final.jpeg

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
He's going to get close to double that so be prepared to be extremely disappointed.

I hope it wont be Detroit.

I do not see why we should not try Morrow instead.

Cleary could be a 3rd/4th liner and sould be paid like that.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney

You need to get into the playoffs first. Tootoo's only been limited by how much ice time he's been getting.

If Sammy and Bert deserve a chance to prove their worth in the last year of his contract, Tootoo certainly does.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Tootoo is better than Cleary right now.

Ha. You want Tootoo to be better than Cleary. But in reality Tootoo was a healthy scratch in the playoffs, and Cleary was one of Detroit's better players in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad