News Article: Wings would like to re-sign Cleary if they can trade someone (he's NOT signed) #142

crashman

You need to get into the playoffs first. Tootoo's only been limited by how much ice time he's been getting.

If Sammy and Bert deserve a chance to prove their worth in the last year of his contract, Tootoo certainly does.

Tootoo has 2 more years left on his contract.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Cleary wants to return to Detroit for a ninth season but the Red Wings would have to clear some salary cap space to re-sign him.

Is his stay in Detroit done as well?

"I don't know that it's done," Holland said. "We were just talking about it. We'd love to have him on the team. We think he's a versatile player. I made him an offer prior to free agency. He didn't think it was enough.

"If we wake up in the next two days and he's signed (by another team), I'd certainly understand. If he stays out there and he's available and we're able to do some things, then we might have something for him."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index...de.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Also important in that is the we will match any offer made to Nyquist or Andersson.

Not necessarily big to this thread, but they are on record for that, believed that to be the case, but straight from Holland is nice to hear.

Just playing with the thought, I don't think you would match a 6 year 20million contract for nyquist.... obviously not gonna happen, but playing with the thought, I wouldn't match that one, would take a 1st/2nd rounder whatever the compensation is, instead.

Summary: There's always a limit on a players like Nyquist how much you could spend on them.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Also important in that is the we will match any offer made to Nyquist or Andersson.

Not necessarily big to this thread, but they are on record for that, believed that to be the case, but straight from Holland is nice to hear.

Yeah I mentioned that in 13-14 Wings thread.

If the compensation was 1st and 3rd (3.3mil and over or so) for Andy I'd let him walk but obv. no one would do that.

1st Line Interloper

Will Drop the Gloves
May 4, 2013
So you'd rather have Cleary for 3 MORE YEARS at 2.5 - 2.75M then Sammy for 1 at 3M where he's likely to not play much at all? You do understand what that would mean? Don't you?

Is Morrow for 2 years an option? I'd rather have him over either Cleary or Sammy.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Is Morrow for 2 years an option? I'd rather have him over either Cleary or Sammy.

I'd rather have none of the above. Morrow is a name. His game has significantly declined and like Cleary he's a possession killer as he handles the puck like it's a grenade. His skating will only decline from here on out as well with his injury problems.

Babcock would also likely use Morrow in roles that he's no longer capable of. Do not want.

1st Line Interloper

Will Drop the Gloves
May 4, 2013
I'd rather have none of the above. Morrow is a name. His game has significantly declined and like Cleary he's a possession killer as he handles the puck like it's a grenade. His skating will only decline from here on out as well with his injury problems.

Babcock would also likely use Morrow in roles that he's no longer capable of. Do not want.

We need a bit more size and I think that the front office knows that already. It doesn't have to be size that always plays in the top 6 but it has to be somebody who can throw checks and grind out the other team.

I would really like it if Bert comes back and could play 3rd/4th line duties + net front on 2nd PP unit because it means a few players (namely Cleary) are expendable.

I wouldn't bring Morrow in for his scoring abilities or skating but I'd bring him in as a Dallas Drake kind of player. He may not want to be used in that role yet (he did have 25 points last year, on course for 46-48 points) but on a potential cup-winner he might do that.

We need somebody to play net front on the 2nd PP unit (Franzen isn't going to cut it there, he sucks at that position, kick him out to slot) and somebody who can use his size on the bottom 6 (Andersson might get there one day, more likely just a solid two way guy but he might get a tad more physical).

My biggest concern isn't the defense, the powerplay or the youth movement that might not happen but instead I'm worried about the Red Wings getting out muscled on the ice by a bigger team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We need a bit more size and I think that the front office knows that already. It doesn't have to be size that always plays in the top 6 but it has to be somebody who can throw checks and grind out the other team.

I would really like it if Bert comes back and could play 3rd/4th line duties + net front on 2nd PP unit because it means a few players (namely Cleary) are expendable.

I wouldn't bring Morrow in for his scoring abilities or skating but I'd bring him in as a Dallas Drake kind of player. He may not want to be used in that role yet (he did have 25 points last year, on course for 46-48 points) but on a potential cup-winner he might do that.

We need somebody to play net front on the 2nd PP unit (Franzen isn't going to cut it there, he sucks at that position, kick him out to slot) and somebody who can use his size on the bottom 6 (Andersson might get there one day, more likely just a solid two way guy but he might get a tad more physical).

My biggest concern isn't the defense, the powerplay or the youth movement that might not happen but instead I'm worried about the Red Wings getting out muscled on the ice by a bigger team.

They still haven't done anything for the size problem.

I'm still believing Bertuzzi is at 100% condition when the season starts and he'll have a decent role in the team. But if there's something wrong behing the scenes (on his back) I'd go and sign Dustin Penner.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The likes of Cleary and Morrow won't stop you from getting outmuscled in 2013. Hockey like all contact sports is a young man's game especially on the physical side of it. Morrow and Cleary are 34. If you want guys who can match a team with an intense, physical forecheck you need big bodies who still have more in the tank.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Here we go with size again. Size is useless when you can't use it. Cleary and Morrow lose a lot of puck battles. What's the point? We need a good ol' Canadian boy?

Franzen has size. How does that work out during the games that he doesn't engage?

You can have size. Give me guys that are strong and tenacious on the puck.

f1seb

Apr 7, 2007
Where the hell are those 12 teams that supposed to have strong interest in this guy!!! Take him already!!!!

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
They still haven't done anything for the size problem.

I'm still believing Bertuzzi is at 100% condition when the season starts and he'll have a decent role in the team. But if there's something wrong behing the scenes (on his back) I'd go and sign Dustin Penner.

If bertuzzi got put in the line-up, who would you take out?

I like Bert, but I think there's no room for him.

RedWingsNow*

I hope Holland is golfing with his new scouting director. Because we've got serious roster moves. Trading guys like Tootoo and Eaves or Sammy or Bertuzzi is practically impossible because the reamining UFA market is saturated with guys who are better and cheaper.

Only way they are moved, if not bought out, is as a throw in on a trade with a team with cap space to burn.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The likes of Cleary and Morrow won't stop you from getting outmuscled in 2013. Hockey like all contact sports is a young man's game especially on the physical side of it. Morrow and Cleary are 34. If you want guys who can match a team with an intense, physical forecheck you need big bodies who still have more in the tank.

Agree with this and hell, you can lump Bert and Sammy into this scrap heap of guys who were good NHL'ers but have no tread left on the tire.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
While I'm pleased with the Wings offseason to this point I still feel the team has no identity. Do we have enough speed to be a dangerous attacking/counter rush team? Is there enough skill to be a tic-tac-toe, peremiter passing team? Do we have the size to be a forechecking, grinding type of team? IMO Holland still needs to tweak this roster further to put some sort of seperation between them and the average to solid teams in the East.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
Agree with this and hell, you can lump Bert and Sammy into this scrap heap of guys who were good NHL'ers but have no tread left on the tire.
Bertuzzi has received a lot of love and escaped a lot of criticism for a player who can go 20-30 games in a row where he does absolutely nothing. I can't understand how Cleary and Samuelsson can be killed on this board when Bertuzzi is just as ineffective, aside from a few pretty shootout goals. Like TMYK said, the NHL is now more than ever a young man's game--we just signed a 40 year old winger, it's time to get the other one off the roster, somehow someway.

djdan6215

Feb 26, 2012
cleary

please holland dont re-sign daniel cleary buy-out sammuelson

and sign one of these four ufa
BRENDAN MORROW
NIK ANTROPOV
DUSTIN PENNER
MASON RAYMOND

or give a try-outs at NIKOLAI ZHERDEV

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah I mentioned that in 13-14 Wings thread.

If the compensation was 1st and 3rd (3.3mil and over or so) for Andy I'd let him walk but obv. no one would do that.

I wouldn't match Andersson, unless he hit right in the price range you were willing to go. I would probably match Nyquist although that depends on who does what. I doubt either gets an offer sheet. Nyquist's would get more interesting if they hit the 1st and 3rd rounder area, especially if it came from what you consider to be a poor team.

But I am not that concerned they will be offered. The message being out there on Nyquist though is a good one, if you're going to have to come after him, for us to even consider not matching the first and third range has to be there for you to think it has a chance.

Wouldn't match anything over 1.2 on Andersson. It would be only a third round pick, but I don't care his salary shouldn't be that high, really he should come in under a million or right at that number

RedWingsNow*

Bertuzzi has received a lot of love and escaped a lot of criticism for a player who can go 20-30 games in a row where he does absolutely nothing. I can't understand how Cleary and Samuelsson can be killed on this board when Bertuzzi is just as ineffective, aside from a few pretty shootout goals. Like TMYK said, the NHL is now more than ever a young man's game--we just signed a 40 year old winger, it's time to get the other one off the roster, somehow someway.

I think one reason why Bert gets away with it is because most of us remember Bertuzzi in his prime.
I think another reason why Bert gets away with it is because Bert has been fairly productive in Detroit even without powerplay time.
Another reason Bert gets away with it is because Bertuzzi still looks like a bad mofo, and when someone hassles Datsyuk after a whistle and Bert goes and glares at him, and the aggressor realizes he doesn't want a broken neck, it's good for our team.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Brunner is about to sign for 2 years 3M per with the Devils allegedly.... Way to go Kenny! When they bring back Cleary for 3 years and 2.5 - 2.75M per.... Epic fail.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad