Wings trade Nyquist to SJ for 2019 2nd & 2020 Conditional 3rd

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Anyone else feel like its the end of an era with tartar gone as well. Remember when they both came up and light the NHL on fire.

Reactions: Winger98

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Anyone else feel like its the end of an era with tartar gone as well. Remember when they both came up and light the NHL on fire.

Yeah, Tatar was 2nd round pick, #60 overall and Nyquist was 4th rounder #121 overall.

Guys went through our developing system and turned around as:

Tomas Tatar, 2nd round pick, #60 overall
Gustav Nyquist, 4th round pick, #121 overall
<>
1st round pick (Joe Veleno, #30 overall)
2nd round pick (SJS 2nd 2019, ~59th overall)
2nd round pick (NYI 2nd 2019, ~55th overall)
3rd round pick (SJS conditional 2nd)
3rd round pick (VGK 2021)

They played for us, they entertained us, they didn't win with us, but they did give better future for us.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015

2013-2014 playoff push was pretty exciting to watch. Everything else is kinda forgettable beyond that. And that's not a knock against Nyquist and Tatar. The teams just been declining for a long time, and now they're finally bottoming out.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It depends how the draft goes.
Pretty much. If there's a top 10-15 guy on your board that falls to 20-25, then try to package some picks to move up. If not, ride it out with extra shots in the second and third rounds.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Yeah, Tatar was 2nd round pick, #60 overall and Nyquist was 4th rounder #121 overall.

Guys went through our developing system and turned around as:

Tomas Tatar, 2nd round pick, #60 overall
Gustav Nyquist, 4th round pick, #121 overall
<>
1st round pick (Joe Veleno, #30 overall)
2nd round pick (SJS 2nd 2019, ~59th overall)
2nd round pick (NYI 2nd 2019, ~55th overall)
3rd round pick (SJS conditional 2nd)
3rd round pick (VGK 2021)

They played for us, they entertained us, they didn't win with us, but they did give better future for us.
Other than Veleno there is a good possibility that none of those picks ever play in the NHL.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Other than Veleno there is a good possibility that none of those picks ever play in the NHL.
Sure, prospects are not guaranteed to pan out. But taking these chances is exactly how you build a strong roster. I don't get this cynicism about trying to draft and develop. It's pretty much the only way to have a cost-controlled winning team these days.

Reactions: jkutswings

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I’m confused on the 2nd round pick...it’s not Florida’s pick from the Hoffman trade?
No that pick is a condition for Erik Karlsson, if they win the cup Ottawa gets their highest second round pick, which in all situations meeting that condition it would be Florida's

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
No that pick is a condition for Erik Karlsson, if they win the cup Ottawa gets their highest second round pick, which in all situations meeting that condition it would be Florida's

Ah that’s right. Was just confused cause I heard on a Sharks podcast that they didn’t even have their own 2nd round pick (??) so I thought it was that Florida pick. They did have another one. Thanks

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Ah that’s right. Was just confused cause I heard on a Sharks podcast that they didn’t even have their own 2nd round pick (??) so I thought it was that Florida pick. They did have another one. Thanks
NP, I was confused as well with all the reports coming out at once yesterday.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

I do. that whole group of Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco, Marchenko, Sproul, XO, Anderson, Bruner etc. who came in around 2012-14 are all pretty much gone now.

I remember loving that Anderson/Bruner/Nyquist line during our last real playoff run, too bad none of them turned into superstars, though Nyquist was a good player, and I’m happy to cheer for him on San Jose now.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Feel like we shoulda got more. Find it hard to believe Nyquist had basically the same value as Jensen.

Not upset, but not happy either. Just meh.
Jared Clinton (The Hockey News) has a positive view
"If the Sharks advance to the Stanley Cup final, or should Nyquist re-sign in San Jose, the draft choice upgrades to a second second-round pick. And two second-round picks is a decent haul for a career 20-goal, 45-point player who had complete control of his destination."

Sharks’ add Nyquist to already lethal attack, send pair of picks to Red Wings - TheHockeyNews

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Considering that Holland wasn't in a strong bargaining position, I'll take whatever. 2nd & cond 3rd is better than whatever. It's a win.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Feel like we shoulda got more. Find it hard to believe Nyquist had basically the same value as Jensen.

Not upset, but not happy either. Just meh.

How is a 2nd and a 3rd the same as just a 2nd? The 3rd can also turn into a 2nd rounder as well. Bowey for the 5th rounder is a long-shot to be anything more than a Kindl right now.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Jared Clinton (The Hockey News) has a positive view
"If the Sharks advance to the Stanley Cup final, or should Nyquist re-sign in San Jose, the draft choice upgrades to a second second-round pick. And two second-round picks is a decent haul for a career 20-goal, 45-point player who had complete control of his destination."

Sharks’ add Nyquist to already lethal attack, send pair of picks to Red Wings - TheHockeyNews

Part of it as well is that fact theres some wings fans who believe he is a star or first line player.

His goal/point totals for his career average out to being below average 2nd line and above average third line player. That is a statistical fact.

San Jose will play him where he should thrive now. Third line with one of the best passers to play the game even in his old age, still damn good. So when he finishes the year strong(well should....) I expect some wings fan to cry some more about how great he is, then Ken holland can over sign him for 5.5m or 6m a year for 6 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad