Wings trade Nyquist to SJ for 2019 2nd & 2020 Conditional 3rd

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
slightly disappointed with the return but it is what it is I guess

overall i'm satisfied with the deadline now even assuming nothing else happens before the end of it

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I have no idea where this narrative about Nyquist talking to Karlsson came from. I’m going to bet that there’s nothing Nyquist could say about the Wings that Karlsson doesn’t already know.
They were born in the same country. Same reason I have an intimate connection with anyone who was born in america.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
It's seams fare trade . 30% just for this year + 2nd this year and 2 or 3rd next year . Am I correct?

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
They were born in the same country. Same reason I have an intimate connection with anyone who was born in america.
Karlsson golfs with Wings: what does it mean!?

They have played together on a bunch of national teams. They share a relatively small country. They also share similar friends (if they are not already friends themselves). I would bet quite a bit Nyquist is staying with Karlsson for this run. While it is obvious we do not know every detail of how close they are, their is definitely information in the public record closely connecting the two. For example the above golf trip.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'm glad Holland is finally trading his UFAs rather than sign them to ridiculous contracts. It's about 5 years too late but it's an improvement and he deserves credit for the trade. With that being said I have to laugh at the idea the NTC had no impact. If someone told you these were the conditions for trading Nyquist you'd probably be highly unimpressed:
  • Red Wings retain a significant chunk of salary
  • The team acquires him as a pure rental, ie they have no hopes of signing him
  • We get a late 2nd and a late 3rd with an outside shot at that late 3rd turning into a late 2nd

That's not great value and it's largely due to the limited number of trading partners. It's a really nice trade for San Jose, they get some nice scoring depth and a guy who should perform very well as a middle six winger and who can contribute on the power play. Nyquist has a rep for disappearing during the playoffs but he was a younger player back then and we were a thoroughly mediocre squad when we were losing in the first round to Tampa and Boston.

If his wife delivers to term meaning the baby doesn't arrive until May the Sharks season could very well be over by then so he can spend lots of time with his newborn and then cash in on July 1st. Good luck Gus, you had a really nice career here and I wish you the best with the rest of your NHL career.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think it’s a reasonable return. Not the same situation as Tatar since his contract is expiring, so you aren’t going to get a big haul.

I’m just happy we didn’t stand pat like was being speculated we might.

Reactions: jkutswings

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Karlsson golfs with Wings: what does it mean!?

They have played together on a bunch of national teams. They share a relatively small country. They also share similar friends (if they are not already friends themselves). I would bet quite a bit Nyquist is staying with Karlsson for this run. While it is obvious we do not know every detail of how close they are, their is definitely information in the public record closely connecting the two. For example the above golf trip.
Yeah I mean I doubt Nyquist is actually doing this, but it's a much much closer connection than being born in the same country.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I'm glad Holland is finally trading his UFAs rather than sign them to ridiculous contracts. It's about 5 years too late but it's an improvement and he deserves credit for the trade. With that being said I have to laugh at the idea the NTC had no impact. If someone told you these were the conditions for trading Nyquist you'd probably be highly unimpressed:
  • Red Wings retain a significant chunk of salary
  • The team acquires him as a pure rental, ie they have no hopes of signing him
  • We get a late 2nd and a late 3rd with an outside shot at that late 3rd turning into a late 2nd

That's not great value and it's largely due to the limited number of trading partners. It's a really nice trade for San Jose, they get some nice scoring depth and a guy who should perform very well as a middle six winger and who can contribute on the power play. Nyquist has a rep for disappearing during the playoffs but he was a younger player back then and we were a thoroughly mediocre squad when we were losing in the first round to Tampa and Boston.

If his wife delivers to term meaning the baby doesn't arrive until May the Sharks season could very well be over by then so he can spend lots of time with his newborn and then cash in on July 1st. Good luck Gus, you had a really nice career here and I wish you the best with the rest of your NHL career.

Look at Mats Zuccarello's trade.

2nd and 3rd for a 30% retained winger (who is better than Nyquist). The 1st for two rounds isn't very likely (Dallas ain't winning two playoff rounds out west) and the 1st for re-signing I also think is window dressing and even if it isn't Nyquist bumps up to two 2nds instead of a 2nd and a 3rd if he re-signs. So basically, Nyquist got dealt for essentially what Zuccarello got traded for, less about 20 draft positions. I would wager it has literally nothing to do with his NTC and everything to do with a directly comparable, but better player being traded a day or two earlier.

The Lucky Pucks

Apr 29, 2017
Dumb question but would you trade 2 2nd rd picks lets say they were both high 40s picks for a 1st round 20-25 pick??

Would the team with the first round never agree to this?

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Not bad deals so far by Holland. Wheeling and dealing well so far imo.

If he can get Howard traded to a contender and Daley moved with Vanek or something, He'll have an A+ deadline. Already a solid B so far from me good return for two players with expiring contracts. Just needs to move more players to get an A. Vanek has to be traded for.... Something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad