Wings trade Nyquist to SJ for 2019 2nd & 2020 Conditional 3rd

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Hearing word that the 3rd becomes a 2nd if Nyquist re-signs. Basically the Zucc trade with less upside but also more likely to occur. Fair enough.

Reactions: JustJokinenAround

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Return for Gustav Nyquist is a second-round pick in 2019 and a third-rounder in 2020 that becomes a second-rounder if the Sharks make it to the Stanley Cup final this spring.

Go Sharks go

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Hearing word that the 3rd becomes a 2nd if Nyquist re-signs. Basically the Zucc trade with less upside but also more likely to occur. Fair enough.

Not the haul I wanted for him, but considering his NTC it's not the worst return.
The biggest win here is it appears we are moving on from the country club days.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I’m okay with it. Also hoping to lose Abdelkader’s contract, at some point before next season.

Reactions: avssuc
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
There it is.

Would have liked the 1st but I will take this. No room for him in the rebuild. Hopefully he resigns. Even though I never loved him as a Wing, go win a Cup.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
He’ll probably re-sign there so basically 2 late 2nd round picks. That seems pretty fair for both sides.

Reactions: DetroitRed

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Not the haul I wanted for him, but considering his NTC it's not the worst return.
The biggest win here is it appears we are moving on from the country club days.
The NTC definitely limited the market a bit, but Nyquist was only ever going to a contender anyway. I think this deal came down to Zucc going for basically the same thing and Nyquist wanting too much term on his next deal. He will be be able to get 5.5 x 5, but it sure as heck isn't going to be in Detroit. I'm pleased that Holland at least got something for him. Potentially two 2nds is quite nice. Especially since the 2020 draft is looking to be really deep, an 3 picks in that 2nd round could prove to be very nice.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
For some people complaining or being disappointed

Basically market value... oh well, solid deal

Stars could at least get a first or two out of their conditionals. The contingency for this to resemble the Dzingel trade is a wildcard. I'd say Nyquist is the best of the three players and returned the worst of the three. It's not a terrible trade, I'm not mad. It's just disappointing. The NMC might have limited his options, that's the only explanation.

Reactions: SirloinUB

FrolundaRedWings

Feb 27, 2017
Pros of this deal:
- Draft Picks
- More icetime for young guys
- We should end up a bottom 5 team for the draft

Cons:
- Larkin's best complementary player is gone
- Not a Tatar type return
- I have to cheer for the Sharks now

Reactions: Jurky