Wings trade Nyquist to SJ for 2019 2nd & 2020 Conditional 3rd

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pretty underwhelming return. With no conditions on resigning, there’s still a good chance he’s back July 1st.

This is probably all Kenny’s way of getting a guy on the inside to convince Karlsson to sign here anyways.

Like this Karlsson-conspiracy. ;)

Nyquist will be our Trojan horse.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I wanted a first and it's disappointing not getting one. I thought the Zucc trade would set a floor on Nyquist's value, but instead it turned out more like a ceiling. Overall a 2nd + 3rd is pretty good value so I'm happy with a tinge of disappointment. Hopefully it turns into two seconds so we can have three this year and three next year.

It's still one of the stupidest trades with those conditionals. Zuccarello can be injured rest of the year and Stars still reach WCF. And if he re-signs with Stars, they will lose two 1st round picks.

How stupid can Jim Nill be? I would have never put two conditionals with 1st round possibility there. Maybe one conditional, which will include both possibilities for one 1st.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Great job by Holland! Proved some people wrong. Gus is awesome but this had to happen. Hope Nike has a great PO run.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
D-Boss and EK Slayer?
Along with Jack Hughes
tenor.gif

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Senators have the rights to the better of the Sharks 2 2nd round picks this year from the Karlsson trade. So no, it will be the Sharks' own 2nd barring some absurd turnaround from the Panthers or collapse from the Sharks.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
A late first still is statistically more likely to yield an NHL player than an early 2nd and 3rd.

Water is wet but that doesn't mean the strategy actually works out regularly.

Think of the times Detroit traded back and how they worked out:
  • Mirco Mueller for Mantha & Bertuzzi worked well for us.
  • Chychrun for Cholowski and Hronek is looking real good for us.
  • Hell even the Matt Puemple pick for Jurco and Xavier Ouellet picks worked out reasonably well for us.
These are just the examples off the top of my head but I'm glad we were on the trading down side of things in these moves.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Water is wet but that doesn't mean the strategy actually works out regularly.

Think of the times Detroit traded back and how they worked out:
  • Mirco Mueller for Mantha & Bertuzzi worked well for us.
  • Chychrun for Cholowski and Hronek is looking real good for us.
  • Hell even the Matt Puemple pick for Jurco and Xavier Ouellet picks worked out reasonably well for us.
These are just the examples off the top of my head but I'm glad we were on the trading down side of things in these moves.

The last two I disagree with, because there's no reason they don't draft Rakell. And Chychrun is an NHL regular, now its on an AHL team masquerading as an NHL team, but neither Cholo nor Hronek has stuck yet.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
The last two I disagree with, because there's no reason they don't draft Rakell.

You can't speculate this as fact. All we know is that the two pieces we got were better assets the one Ottawa got with our pick. End of story.

And Chychrun is an NHL regular, now its on an AHL team masquerading as an NHL team, but neither Cholo nor Hronek has stuck yet.

To quote myself the trade is "looking real good for us." We'll have to give it more time but its trending in a good direction for us.

Does anyone know of other examples out there of trading up paying off?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You can't speculate this as fact. All we know is that the two pieces we got were better assets the one Ottawa got with our pick. End of story.

To quote myself the trade is "looking real good for us." We'll have to give it more time but its trending in a good direction for us.

As for Hronek, we again don't know what Detroit does with one pick. Smith is pretty much a bust. And they were going hard defense, one could argue that with one pick they go with Chychrun and Hronek.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Here's an article I found from a couple years ago that has an interesting take on trading up versus down. It's mostly about the Leafs but cites some statistical analysis of draft picks value.

Trading Up In The NHL Draft: Is It Worth It?

Nothing really that surprising. The top two picks are extremely valuable. But when you're talkng about the difference between a late first verus even a late 2nd rounder, the gap isn't that large.

An interesting conclusion from one of the studies:

Another way to think of this is the comparative worth of picks in various ranges of the draft. For example the value of a late first-round pick from a contending team is actually closer in value to any third-round selection than it is to a top-five pick. Thinking of this from a glass-half-full perspective for a team trying to rebuild, this suggests that adding multiple second- or third-round selections is likely an easier way to improve the roster of a team than holding out for that tough-to-obtain first-round choice when the market is far more thin.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
We could potentially target Dallas 1st (trading up) they don't have another pick until round 4. Could target Columbus perhaps for prospects, they have 2 picks in the whole draft a 3rd and a 7th remaining lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad