Wings trade Nyquist to SJ for 2019 2nd & 2020 Conditional 3rd

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I really don't know. I wonder if they pulled the trigger a bit early?
I was nervous about the opposite. I didn't want them to wait too long and have what few interested parties there were take other options, leaving them with like one team that could then almost dictate his price.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Okay return, not what I hoped for but I guess contract talks weren’t going great and with the NTC we at least got something. But it’s close to the minimum I wanted for him. If the condition is fulfilled and it becomes another 2nd, it will look better.

Reactions: DetroitRed

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I also think the return was mediocre. But it's hard to expect a first rounder for an average rental. I'm just glad Holland is selling instead of buying.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
That's great news. I really think they could package their latter two 2nds and move into the first round.
Didn't they already trade Florida's second round pick to Ottawa in the Karlsson deal?

EDIT: Here's the conditions from the Karlsson, Ottawa is entitled to the first Sharks pick in the second round, so that means well have the Sharks pick.

***Conditions: 2019 2nd round pick is the higher of the two picks the Sharks currently own: Panthers and their own.
Result: Ottawa will receive Panthers 2019 2nd round pick.

Last edited:

Leibinger6

Jul 26, 2018

Attachments

• IMG_0439.JPG
    IMG_0439.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: Larkin2AA

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Get rid of Nyquist before Holland has first crack as resigning him: Check

Get rid of Nyquist to open up more space for younger talent and hopefully improve draft stock: Check

Acquire more potential assets for future: Check

Long live the rebuild!

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Get rid of Nyquist before Holland has first crack as resigning him: Check

Get rid of Nyquist to open up more space for younger talent and hopefully improve draft stock: Check

Acquire more potential assets for future: Check

Long live the rebuild!
I am afraid the rebuild will live longer than anyone of us bargained for. Like, a decade or two.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Wouldn’t the lower of the two be the Sharks pick? The Florida pick is part of the Karlsson deal.
This is from an article I found:

Ottawa will still have an early pick from San Jose in June though, perhaps even earlier than expected. The condition on that pick is that it is the highest of the second-round picks owned by the Sharks: their own and the Florida Panthers’, which ironically was part of the return from the Sharks’ flip of former Ottawa forward Mike Hoffman earlier this year.

So basically, SJ gives Ottawa the higher of the two, and DET gets the lowest.

But what do high and low mean here? Sometimes a high draft pick means a really good one. But 40 is objectively lower than 60.

More details of the Erik Karlsson trade revealed

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I am afraid the rebuild will live longer than anyone of us bargained for. Like, a decade or two.

That's a price I'm willing to pay after winning four cups.

Nothing against Nyquist but keeping him beyond the deadline serves no purpose.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Happy with the deal. Its nothing to be ecstatic about, but I wasn't expecting anything more then a 2nd for Nyquist as deep down I always thought a 1st was wishful thinking.

Hopefully he goes and wins a cup in San Jose, then re-signs with us in the off-season to a reasonable contract. I love the chemistry he and Larkin have together and would like to see it continue.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Grade C:

Given: Nyquist (top 6 forward, having a career year) retained salary.
Get: 2 picks 2019 2nd (not sure but looking like a late second), 2020 3rd round (likely late).

So basically, its the Zucc deal, but with worse conditions. Not that I wanted to keep Nyquist, but, I feel he still was worth more than this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Happy with the deal. Its nothing to be ecstatic about, but I wasn't expecting anything more then a 2nd for Nyquist as deep down I always thought a 1st was wishful thinking.

Hopefully he goes and wins a cup in San Jose, then re-signs with us in the off-season to a reasonable contract. I love the chemistry he and Larkin have together and would like to see it continue.[/QUOTE]

Jesus just no! Him having a career year, and a cup ring will mean his ask will be waaay above his actual worth.

Reactions: Oddbob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad