Wings trade Nyquist to SJ for 2019 2nd & 2020 Conditional 3rd

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Grade C:

Given: Nyquist (top 6 forward, having a career year) retained salary.
Get: 2 picks 2019 2nd (not sure but looking like low second), 2020 3rd round (likely late).

So basically, its the Zucc deal, but with worse conditions. Not that I wanted to keep Nyquist, but, I feel he still was worth more than this.

It's a fair deal for player who never had an impact outside of his rookie season. His production will dip once he's off the first line and first power play unit on a contending team.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Grade C:

Get: 2 picks 2019 2nd (not sure but looking like low second), 2020 3rd round (likely late).

So basically, its the Zucc deal, but with worse conditions. Not that I wanted to keep Nyquist, but, I feel he still was worth more than this.
I don't like the return but at least we traded him which I thought we wouldn't even do so I cant say I'm not happy.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I think that about the time you get the vets retired or traded for picks, the young guys who replaced them should be starting to right the ship. I think within five years, not ten, we'll be at the deadline and our new guys will have us in a position where we should buy again. And I'm patient enough to wait for that.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I think that about the time you get the vets retired or traded for picks, the young guys who replaced them should be starting to right the ship. I think within five years, not ten, we'll be at the deadline and our new guys will have us in a position where we should buy again. And I'm patient enough to wait for that.

The first move will be getting rid of Holland. The team still needs the room to not compete for a couple more years, and Holland is looking nervous about giving it that room.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Madison Bowey is a second rounder and we got another one from WSH. It's basically the same return.
20180920_161542.jpg

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
It's a fair deal for player who never had an impact outside of his rookie season. His production will dip once he's off the first line and first power play unit on a contending team.
He’s having a phenomenal season and was just traded to a team that’s producing a lot more than we are and a team that has more depth than we do and also defensemen who can move the puck out of the defensive end.

Reactions: TheMule93

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
The first move will be getting rid of Holland. The team still needs the room to not compete for a couple more years, and Holland is looking nervous about giving it that room.
Yeah! I think I was saying that a few seasons back, that you can't rebuild if you keep making the same mistakes with contracts. But I think Holland's time is up. I hope.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
He’s having a phenomenal season and was just traded to a team that’s producing a lot more than we are and a team that has more depth than we do and also defensemen who can move the puck out of the defensive end.
He's having a great season due to Larkin. He's also turning 30 soon. There's zero reason to consider keeping him or bringing him back.

Reactions: Oddbob

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Jesus just no! Him having a career year, and a cup ring will mean his ask will be waaay above his actual worth.

We've already had this debate, no need to have it again. Also, I thought I was quite clear when I said "reasonable contract". If Nyquist wants more then what's he's worth, I would pass.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
The wings were not going to resign him.

His asking value was reasonable, but the term was not to the wings.

Holland traded an expiring asset for something and Gus had a NTC so he was able to dictate his landing spot, somewhat curbing the return.

Could not be a better scenario, was just a shitty spot for Holland to be in to appease the masses.

At least we got two picks, and more “spins of the wheel”

Motto of the next two years, SpinTheWheeltoReigniteTheWheel

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Grade C:

1. Retained Salary on a rental is barely worth mentioning. The money does not stay on the books longer than a few months, and it's mostly so that way SJ can even afford Nyquist to begin with. 2. I would actually argue that this is better than the Zucc deal because the condition on the pick is actually feasible. The Sharks are stacked this year and look like they might be the best team top to bottom in the West. Dallas is still in a contention for a playoff spot, let alone winning two rounds. No guarantees that Zucc will want to come back to Dallas either. 3. Nyquist is a rental, which is inherently less valuable than a player who is cost controlled/has term. 4. Nyquist also had a NTC, which thinned the market and kept the competition down some on him. My guess is that as soon as it became clear than an extension was not close, Holland began working the phones with teams on Nyquist's shortlist. On this point we can blame Holland for handing out so many NTCs and NMCs. It played a factor in why the result is so average. 5. We cannot forget that Ottawa has completely dominated the market by making Stone, Duchene and Dzingel available. If Ottawa wasn't blowing it up this year, Zucc, Nyquist and Simmonds are considerably more valuable.

Madison Bowey is a second rounder and we got another one from WSH. It's basically the same return.

1. Defense > Forwards in terms of value. Especially so for rentals. Nyquist is clearly the better player, but any semi-competent d-man is always liable to get something. 2. I think it's wiser to consider the Jensen trade more like two trades at once. Wings wanted at least a 2nd for Jensen and got it. Full stop. On the other hand, Bowey was clearly on his way out at Washington and likely was going to be put on waivers at some point. He had been passed by several younger guys for them already, writing was on the wall for both parties. Wings payed a 5th (which is basically nothing) to move in front of Ottawa, who probably wouldn't mind to take on a reclamation project. 3. Bowey no longer has a 2nd round value. If he did, no way do the Caps move him. He would be a younger Jensen. At this point, we will have to wait around and see if Bowey can actually become an NHL player at all, which, interestingly enough, is basically what a 5th round is worth.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
How many of our last ten second round picks are on the roster/playing in the NHL? 3?

Not sure I get your point, Bowey has played in dozens of NHL games and sometimes, players who once had high upside need a change of scenery.
The sometimes is akin to a lottery ticket. I believe your comment was about draft picks being lottery tickets. I was clarifying a previous post where Bowey’s potential was likened to a lottery ticket, not a draft pick.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Not sure I get your point, Bowey has played in dozens of NHL games and sometimes, players who once had high upside need a change of scenery.
The sometimes is akin to a lottery ticket. I believe your comment was about draft picks being lottery tickets. I was clarifying a previous post where Bowey’s potential was likened to a lottery ticket, not a draft pick.
My point is Bowey is a former second rounder and we have drafted many that didn't amount to much. The Jensen trade is basically on par with the Nyquist trade unless one of those picks becomes a Kucherov, Subban etc.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad