Wings Sign Mo Seider to 3 year ELC

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Thank you for input, since you (unlike me) seem to know a bit about the DEL. So I take it that both leagues might be similar - which would be my uneducated guess as well, since veteran AHLers sometimes come over to Germany and apparently fit right in.

However, if both leagues have a similar talent level, would not the AHL be clearly favorable for Seider's development? In Grand Rapids,
Seider would get accustomed to the North American style and rink, will have to rely on English completely and be closer to Detroit and the Red Wings staff. The Red Wings could also control his TOI and the assignments much more than with a DEL team.

Gruß,
BSHH

Yeah, for sure there are exactly such benefits and so it's a sensible option. In Mannheim on the other hand he can have a big role in a very competitive team and organization. Thanks to their cooperation with the nearby Bundesliga soccer side Hoffenheim they have access to structures there that not many European hockey clubs possess. I suppose it's also a matter of how fast he is projected to play in the NHL, if he's still two years away then one more season in Germany could make more sense at this point. If they envision him getting opportunities in the NHL already sooner then the AHL is the way to go undoubtedly.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Do you work in Detroit at home? And why Bologna - or did you mean Modena?

Gruß,
BSHH
Not in Detroit anymore, but still in a similar line of work. Lived in the are for 14 years, 2 different employers.

Cento, Italy if you want me to be precise.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
If the plan isn't NA, could there be another European league in play?

I'm not saying DEL is a bad league to develop, but it might give him a different challenge if he's not in NA.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If the plan isn't NA, could there be another European league in play?

I'm not saying DEL is a bad league to develop, but it might give him a different challenge if he's not in NA.

I would say no. If he goes back to Europe he will be with Mannheim. There is an out-clause to NA, but it isn't like we can put him in the SHL, KHL or Liiga or something. Not sure why we would want to anyway, the DEL is fine, it isn't worlds different than say Liiga in my opinion.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If the OHL is off the table, staying in Germany is probably the best route to go. Hopefully there is some kind of a guarantee of big minutes there.

But man, that would be like going a whole other year where he is essentially a mystery box and it’s hard to know what we have.

At least with the AHL or SHL/Liiga/KHL you can benchmark his production against others. This kid might be a wildcard right until he steps in the NHL if he skips suiting up for Grand Rapids.

Really a pretty unique situation we have here. I won’t mind if he flies under the radar and then bursts onto the scene.

Reactions: Darkseider

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If the OHL is off the table, staying in Germany is probably the best route to go. Hopefully there is some kind of a guarantee of big minutes there.

But man, that would be like going a whole other year where he is essentially a mystery box and it’s hard to know what we have.

At least with the AHL or SHL/Liiga/KHL you can benchmark his production against others. This kid might be a wildcard right until he steps in the NHL if he skips suiting up for Grand Rapids.

Really a pretty unique situation we have here. I won’t mind if he flies under the radar and then bursts onto the scene.

I get why it is brought up as an option. I don't want to speak out of turn here on some of the financials but my guess is he has a little better situation than Hronek did in terms of his bottom line day to day in the DEL. He will also make around 90K in the AHL. Sorry but I have a hard time going to the OHL if I am him, for what 1200 walking cash a month?

We can release him for the WJC that he helped them qualify for this year to look at him with juniors. I mean in high leverage role that we control in Saginaw or a team of our choice I would think about it. But ultimately if Seider who has already been playing pro hockey wants to get paid better than the junior circuit I really don't fault him. Signing this contract was important in terms of now though for that option. At least we load him with a signing bonus to make it more palatable.

I get the argument, I am in the AHL/NHL and DEL camp (excluding placement on a super team or Saginaw). The player would have to buy-in in though in a big way. Hronek did play sparingly for the Czech league team and had considerably more time with his U20 teams effort in his draft year. I am also sure the fact he was owned by Saginaw with Draper and Devellano as part owners helps us a great deal in terms of that discussion. He didn't share the attributes of Seider either. Who is far superior to Hronek at similar points in terms of his physical development. I mean he would be one of the most solid guys in the OHL if he drops in, I don't think it will happen, but they might have the bad habits talk there internally when they evaluate that option.

I trust the Wings to pick the right path, just was pointing out some of what I think could be considered the counter argument to some of the OHL spin. I get it, but I can see why that option might not be on the table right now. Perhaps something in September happens that makes them heavily favor this option and they can spend training camp working out where he would play outside of a pro league. I am just doubtful it does at this point, it seems to be a voted down option for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I get why it is brought up as an option. I don't want to speak out of turn here on some of the financials but my guess is he has a little better situation than Hronek did in terms of his bottom line day to day in the DEL. He will also make around 90K in the AHL. Sorry but I have a hard time going to the OHL if I am him, for what 1200 walking cash a month?

We can release him for the WJC that he helped them qualify for this year to look at him with juniors. I mean in high leverage role that we control in Saginaw or a team of our choice I would think about it. But ultimately if Seider who has already been playing pro hockey wants to get paid better than the junior circuit I really don't fault him. Signing this contract was important in terms of now though for that option. At least we load him with a signing bonus to make it more palatable.

I get the argument, I am in the AHL/NHL and DEL camp (excluding placement on a super team or Saginaw). The player would have to buy-in in though in a big way. Hronek did play sparingly for the Czech league team and had considerably more time with his U20 teams effort in his draft year. I am also sure the fact he was owned by Saginaw with Draper and Devellano as part owners helps us a great deal in terms of that discussion. He didn't share the attributes of Seider either. Who is far superior to Hronek at similar points in terms of his physical development. I mean he would be one of the most solid guys in the OHL if he drops in, I don't think it will happen, but they might have the bad habits talk there internally when they evaluate that option.

I trust the Wings to pick the right path, just was pointing out some of what I think could be considered the counter argument to some of the OHL spin. I get it, but I can see why that option might not be on the table right now. Perhaps something in September happens that makes them heavily favor this option and they can spend training camp working out where he would play outside of a pro league. I am just doubtful it does at this point, it seems to be a voted down option for whatever reason.

I think it’s viable for his development, and totally overlooked the financial part of it from his behalf.

I was just more or less trying to say get ready for a year of very little hype if he is spending a year in the DEL from the prospect community, although I have heard they have a pretty significant forward prospect coming through for next year in Stutzle.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think it’s viable for his development, and totally overlooked the financial part of it from his behalf.

I was just more or less trying to say get ready for a year of very little hype if he is spending a year in the DEL from the prospect community, although I have heard they have a pretty significant forward prospect coming through for next year in Stutzle.

They have another first rounder, I think he can be a top 10 guy. I mean I know you know that but for those that are interested here is his elite prospects page

Tim Stützle at eliteprospects.com

I get it, I just did want to bring up the money. Obviously his most important thing is acing his development because the most money available to him is from maximizing the player he becomes in the NHL. That is a part of the pitch, just saying I think when we line this up some of the time as NA fans we don't really view the whole picture. Sports operate differently in different areas. As much as the DEL seems a bad league it has a bunch of NA influence on it already in my opinion.

Current breakdown from Elite prospects in terms of league breakdown.

Elite Prospects - Deutsche Eishockey Liga (DEL)
Player Nationalities

Here is your experience on the team. Assuming he gets a role with better usage and I think he will but this is the current roster that surrounds him.

Adler Mannheim at eliteprospects.com

I noticed he will have Chad Billins as a teammate if he is there this year. In any event here is that breakdown

Team Facts
  • Nationalities
    21.png
    22 players
    2.png
    3 players
    6.png
    3 players
    3.png
    2 players
    29.png
    1 player
    19.png
    1 player
    1.png
    1 player
  • Experience Adler Mannheim: 3 366 GP
    16.png
    NHL: 1 320 GP
    31.png
    WC: 314 GP
    31.png
    OG: 51 GP
    1.png
    SHL: 612 GP
    1.png
    Allsvenskan: 30 GP
    2.png
    Liiga: 1 283 GP
    9.png
    KHL: 557 GP
    16.png
    AHL: 1 846 GP
    21.png
    DEL: 5 032 GP
That is a lot of professional experience to lean on. I think he will be fine either way. Just to throw some numbers in terms of the DEL. I think it is a pretty good league, I don't find it to be that far off Switzerland or Finland to be honest in terms of quality when I have caught the odd games.

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio
If I’m being selfish I would Grand Rapids because I would be able to watch him in person. Don’t know how well that would work with the log jam they already got there.

Anyone thought about sending him to the echl? NA rinks, definitely get top playing minutes and PP time plus the walleye is a pretty good run organization.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If I’m being selfish I would Grand Rapids because I would be able to watch him in person. Don’t know how well that would work with the log jam they already got there.

Anyone thought about sending him to the echl? NA rinks, definitely get top playing minutes and PP time plus the walleye is a pretty good run organization.
No way. They'd be better off sending anyone except Cholo down. The rest of the D squad aren't going to have any meaningful impact to the WIngs now or in the future. Also, they can keep McIlrath on the WIngs' roster as 8thD for when we play Montreal. He can take Witter's old role.

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio
No way. They'd be better off sending anyone except Cholo down. The rest of the D squad aren't going to have any meaningful impact to the WIngs now or in the future. Also, they can keep McIlrath on the WIngs' roster as 8thD for when we play Montreal. He can take Witter's old role.

Ideally I would like him in GR as well. Just didn’t know if playing time would be better if he went the echl route where he would be able to adjust to NA rinks while also being able to play in all situations.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Ideally I would like him in GR as well. Just didn’t know if playing time would be better if he went the echl route where he would be able to adjust to NA rinks while also being able to play in all situations.
If the WIngs choose to send him there, I don't think playing time will be an issue. Wings assistant GM Ryan Martin is the Griffins GM.

Relationship between NHL teams and their AHL affiliates vary (some are even owned by the parent club), but I assume the relationship between the WIngs and Griffins is pretty tight.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You can just not show up and force a trade if you’re picked...like McCleod..but he wanted to play with his brother in Mississauga so he wasn’t reporting anywhere except there

Umm, most players will not and should not do this. AA did this in London and this is among the many things that management in juniors and pro have against him or any player who tries to bully the team to get what they want. Lindros pull that in Quebec and many soured on him and any player who does this garbage.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Umm, most players will not and should not do this. AA did this in London and this is among the many things that management in juniors and pro have against him or any player who tries to bully the team to get what they want. Lindros pull that in Quebec and many soured on him and any player who does this garbage.
Lindros did it twice...and it happens

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I kind of want him to stay in Mannheim just to make sure DRW have a better look at Stutzle than anyone else. But, really I think he should play on NA ice and I'm down with GR.

If he goes to Owen Sound they're really planning long term, and it's a pretty isolated little place to adapt. I think Kitchener would have been an ideal place for him as there's a huge German community there. If they wanted him to go that route, of course.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Lindros did it twice...and it happens
Yup. My understanding is it happens A LOT with import draft guys. Most teams will confirm a player is willing to play there before they blow a pick on a guy blindly. And in the event that they do pick blindly, I'm sure the expectation is that they're going to trade the player or he just won't play in that league.

Owen Sound would know what's up. Trying to play hardball with Detroit and ending up with nothing would be tremendously stupid.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Yup. My understanding is it happens A LOT with import draft guys. Most teams will confirm a player is willing to play there before they blow a pick on a guy blindly. And in the event that they do pick blindly, I'm sure the expectation is that they're going to trade the player or he just won't play in that league.

Owen Sound would know what's up. Trying to play hardball with Detroit and ending up with nothing would be tremendously stupid.
Imports are harder to trade because you can only have 2 on your team at a time

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
If he's ready, I want him in Grand Rapids. I read a lot of posts about him being very good against NHL talent at the WCs, so I don't see why he wouldn't be ready.
Then again, at the 3 on 3 and 5 on 5 development games, he wasn't that much better than some of the other defense we had playing.
I'm eager to see him in the prospect tournament and, more importantly, in a few NHL exhibition games.

Let's say he's ready for GR. Here are our RHD under contract.
NHL - Hronek, Green, Bowey.
(it wouldn't be too hard to imagine Seider challenging Bowey, even though it's unlikely.

AHL - Kaski, Seider, Lindstrom, McIlrath, Saarijarvi.

It's kind of messy. McIlrath could go to Detroit to be your #7. Even still, you've got 4RHD in Kaski, Seider, Lindstrom and Saarijarvi.

With Cholowski, Lashoff, and Hicketts potentially in Grand Rapids, it's not so easy to just slide Saarijarvi over, either.

I think one of Kaski, Seider or Lindstrom heads back to Europe.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
If he's ready, I want him in Grand Rapids. I read a lot of posts about him being very good against NHL talent at the WCs, so I don't see why he wouldn't be ready.
Then again, at the 3 on 3 and 5 on 5 development games, he wasn't that much better than some of the other defense we had playing.
I'm eager to see him in the prospect tournament and, more importantly, in a few NHL exhibition games.

Let's say he's ready for GR. Here are our RHD under contract.
NHL - Hronek, Green, Bowey.
(it wouldn't be too hard to imagine Seider challenging Bowey, even though it's unlikely.

AHL - Kaski, Seider, Lindstrom, McIlrath, Saarijarvi.

It's kind of messy. McIlrath could go to Detroit to be your #7. Even still, you've got 4RHD in Kaski, Seider, Lindstrom and Saarijarvi.

With Cholowski, Lashoff, and Hicketts potentially in Grand Rapids, it's not so easy to just slide Saarijarvi over, either.

I think one of Kaski, Seider or Lindstrom heads back to Europe.
Lindstrom was a scratch for most of the games in the SHL playoffs last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad