Wings Sign Mo Seider to 3 year ELC

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Mo Seider can hit you so hard that he can actually alter your DNA. Decades from now your descendants will occasionally clutch their heads and yell "What The Hell was That?"

Also when he hits, the players instantly spew apple cider everywhere, leaving a sight to behold.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wheeler: The top 50 drafted NHL prospects ranking, 2019...

Pack it up, guys. Seider isn't a top 50 prospect at 6th overall. Let's see if we can still get a refund.

21. Noah Dobson, RHD, 19 (New York Islanders — 12th overall, 2018)
Dobson is the type of defenceman teams go in search of at every draft and never find. He’s long, he can fly, he has learned to control his instincts and frame in order to make the right play more consistently, and he shoots right!

Riveting stuff... didn’t really enjoy that one or agree with the rankings given.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Wheeler: The top 50 drafted NHL prospects ranking, 2019...

Pack it up, guys. Seider isn't a top 50 prospect at 6th overall. Let's see if we can still get a refund.

Riveting stuff... didn’t really enjoy that one or agree with the rankings given.

At least he maintained a hopeful stance on Veleno being a potential impact 2C, which is something I haven't seen from really any source. I know we are at risk of drinking the Koolaid a bit more, but it seems like every evaluator has him type cast into the exact same 3C role. Having him one slot below Morgan Frost is a nice spot to see him land. I think those two are similar potential impact players, with Frost being much more offensively focused.

As for Seider, my bet is that Wheeler has maybe seen him one time in passing. Without having an interest in watching him at all. With as little as Seider was talked about, and as early as Wheeler publishes his final rankings, I feel like it can be chalked up to a lack of knowledge of the player.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
At least he maintained a hopeful stance on Veleno being a potential impact 2C, which is something I haven't seen from really any source. I know we are at risk of drinking the Koolaid a bit more, but it seems like every evaluator has him type cast into the exact same 3C role. Having him one slot below Morgan Frost is a nice spot to see him land. I think those two are similar potential impact players, with Frost being much more offensively focused.

As for Seider, my bet is that Wheeler has maybe seen him one time in passing. Without having an interest in watching him at all. With as little as Seider was talked about, and as early as Wheeler publishes his final rankings, I feel like it can be chalked up to a lack of knowledge of the player.

Yeah, I know personally I considered refraining from ranking Seider altogether just because I had way less knowledge and exposure. I basically just put him in the 20’s to stick him somewhere on my list because I know other people thought highly of him and I had to include him.

I imagine it is somewhat a similar story with Wheeler. He has other prospects higher because he is way more familiar with them.

As far as Veleno goes, yeah I think he he 2C potential all day. Been saying that since before he was our pick. I think he’s pretty similar to Frost, and I think he’s pretty similar to Newhook as well.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Yeah, I know personally I considered refraining from ranking Seider altogether just because I had way less knowledge and exposure. I basically just put him in the 20’s to stick him somewhere on my list because I know other people thought highly of him and I had to include him.

I imagine it is somewhat a similar story with Wheeler. He has other prospects higher because he is way more familiar with them.

As far as Veleno goes, yeah I think he he 2C potential all day. Been saying that since before he was our pick. I think he’s pretty similar to Frost, and I think he’s pretty similar to Newhook as well.

The part that is encouraging to me is that when I look at Larkin, I didn’t see him doing anything particularly well when he was starting out in the NHL. He was billed as “Helm with hands” and while that isn’t the fairest of breakdowns, it also wasn’t completely outlandish to characterize Larkin in that manner. He came up and he was basically a high end skater and high compete level guy who threw pucks at the net. But it was the compete level to be better, his desire to improve that led him to becoming a responsible center. To work on his shot, work on his puck handling and playmaking ability and take it to the next level. Even now, you look at Larkin and see an industrious center. His skill never consistently outshines his work ethic and his skating. Realistically, Larkin would have probably been billed as a 2-3 center by today’s standards, and he made himself into a 1C.

Veleno seems to be the same. He’s got the skating and heart that plays anywhere in the NHL, and you hope he can put 2 and 2 together the same way that Larkin did. The fact that he chose to stick around in metro Detroit specifically to train with Larkin and Glendening is fantastic, and I hope he continues to stick to the hip of Larkin as he comes into his own. I get the sense that Larkin did the same with Zetterberg, and there aren’t many you’d rather someone learn all things hockey from.

Reactions: Larkin2AA

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
The part that is encouraging to me is that when I look at Larkin, I didn’t see him doing anything particularly well when he was starting out in the NHL. He was billed as “Helm with hands” and while that isn’t the fairest of breakdowns, it also wasn’t completely outlandish to characterize Larkin in that manner. He came up and he was basically a high end skater and high compete level guy who threw pucks at the net. But it was the compete level to be better, his desire to improve that led him to becoming a responsible center. To work on his shot, work on his puck handling and playmaking ability and take it to the next level. Even now, you look at Larkin and see an industrious center. His skill never consistently outshines his work ethic and his skating. Realistically, Larkin would have probably been billed as a 2-3 center by today’s standards, and he made himself into a 1C.

Veleno seems to be the same. He’s got the skating and heart that plays anywhere in the NHL, and you hope he can put 2 and 2 together the same way that Larkin did. The fact that he chose to stick around in metro Detroit specifically to train with Larkin and Glendening is fantastic, and I hope he continues to stick to the hip of Larkin as he comes into his own. I get the sense that Larkin did the same with Zetterberg, and there aren’t many you’d rather someone learn all things hockey from.

I saw flashes of Bergeron in Larkin.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Jeez. Two wings on the list.
Not what you want to see after 3 straight years of top 10 picks.

Rasmussen was ineligible due to his service time in the NHL, not that he would have been a guarantee either way. The Seider thing was kind of discussed in this thread after the article was shared. Wheeler is an evaluator of prospects, but he doesn't really get around like others do. I can promise you that he has spent minimal time watching Seider and as a result, he doesn't rank him highly because he doesn't know enough. So out of 3 years of top 10 picks, and one of them being ineligible, you would expect 2 players in the top 50(?); those two players being the two top 10 picks remaining...the fact that one of them is a relative unknown compared to other prospects, and the fact that we are able to find talent at 30 overall is a good thing. And you have to imagine that Hronek would be on this list had he not exceeded service time.

Anaheim, Colorado, Montreal, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, and Philadelphia are the only teams who had more than 2 players on the list. Anaheim has 29+44+47, Montreal's third is 50th. The Islanders have 21+45+46. It's not like there are a ton of teams ahead of the Wings, and the few that are, are barely hanging on to 3 players on the list, and/or have less "high end" talent as perceived by Wheeler.

You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Reactions: Ezekial

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I assume (hope) all these Chara/Lidstrom/Coffey posts are jokes.

The NHL will never see another defenseman with Coffey, Bourque, or even Lidstrom caliber offense.
All of the defenseman in NHL history with 1,000 points or more played during the 80s except for one: Nicklas Lidstrom.

We won't see anyone with Lidstrom caliber defense either.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The NHL will never see another defenseman with Coffey, Bourque, or even Lidstrom caliber offense.
All of the defenseman in NHL history with 1,000 points or more played during the 80s except for one: Nicklas Lidstrom.

Brent Burns?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

images

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Erik Karlsson and Brent Burns are already providing Lidstrom-caliber offense, man.
Burns scored more points last year than Lidstrom ever scored.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I’d kinda prefer him staying in Germany another year. Just something about putting guys in the AHL the year after they’re drafted never feels like the optimal development strategy to me.

He was only playing about 12 mins a game last year in Germany. Not sure thats the best route either. I think the wings will get something figurd out after camp. Cant see him going anywhere where he isnt going to play at least ~18 mins a game

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
Erik Karlsson and Brent Burns are already providing Lidstrom-caliber offense, man.
Burns scored more points last year than Lidstrom ever scored.

Burns needs to score 60 points a year every season from now until he is 40 to get to 1000 points. It is possible, but unlikely. Karlsson on the other hand could easily reach 1000, he is 5 years younger than Burns and about 100 points behind him. He needs 5 more seasons at around the 70 point mark to be within 100 points of 1000 career, he can do it. Burns started scoring too late in his career.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Rasmussen was ineligible due to his service time in the NHL, not that he would have been a guarantee either way. The Seider thing was kind of discussed in this thread after the article was shared. Wheeler is an evaluator of prospects, but he doesn't really get around like others do. I can promise you that he has spent minimal time watching Seider and as a result, he doesn't rank him highly because he doesn't know enough. So out of 3 years of top 10 picks, and one of them being ineligible, you would expect 2 players in the top 50(?); those two players being the two top 10 picks remaining...the fact that one of them is a relative unknown compared to other prospects, and the fact that we are able to find talent at 30 overall is a good thing. And you have to imagine that Hronek would be on this list had he not exceeded service time.

Anaheim, Colorado, Montreal, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, and Philadelphia are the only teams who had more than 2 players on the list. Anaheim has 29+44+47, Montreal's third is 50th. The Islanders have 21+45+46. It's not like there are a ton of teams ahead of the Wings, and the few that are, are barely hanging on to 3 players on the list, and/or have less "high end" talent as perceived by Wheeler.

You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

OK, but I wrote 2 lines. You wrote 30. :)
I don't see Seider has "elite."
Maybe he becomes a Parayko type. Hopefully.
It's also pretty obvious that Rasmussen is not the player Holland talked about on draft day. He's clearly not a two-way center and likely never will be.
So he's going to move to the wall. Hopefully he picks up a step or two and learns to play a neutral zone/transition game.
As for Zadina, it's hard not to admit that he didn't live up to expectations. Not only was he not a Calder candidate, he wasn't an NHLer.
He was OK in the AHL. Slightly better than Tatar was in his D+1 season. Zadina didn't finish in the top 20 in AHL rookie scoring (Yes, it's true that he was one of the few D+1 rookies in the league, but still).

So, I don't know man. The one guy who ranks high on the list was possible the biggest disappointment of the three.
Rasmussen just had one of the most unpleasant rookie seasons I've watched from a highly tooted Red Wing prospect.
And Seider? He was a reach at 6, and Yzerman hasn't done very well with his reaches.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He was only playing about 12 mins a game last year in Germany. Not sure thats the best route either. I think the wings will get something figurd out after camp. Cant see him going anywhere where he isnt going to play at least ~18 mins a game
Normal development and experience means he would likely see more icetime. Problem is he wouldn't be guaranteed big minutes in Grand Rapids either.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Burns needs to score 60 points a year every season from now until he is 40 to get to 1000 points. It is possible, but unlikely. Karlsson on the other hand could easily reach 1000, he is 5 years younger than Burns and about 100 points behind him. He needs 5 more seasons at around the 70 point mark to be within 100 points of 1000 career, he can do it. Burns started scoring too late in his career.
If anybody is bored enough to crunch the numbers, I would be curious to see how Burns and Karlsson compare to each of Coffee, Lidstrom, and Bourque when adjusting for league-wide goals per game. I would guess that would boost Nick, having played several years in the dead puck era, versus recent years of better scoring (let alone the 6-5 nonsense of the 80's).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad