Wings Select D William Wallinder at 32nd OVR

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I wanted him at the pick but his scouting report reads to me like Ryan Sproul sometimes lol.

Ryan Sproul's scouting report. Of note, "No longer knocked for his skating ability."

There isn't much consistency when looking at his scouting reports other than "cannon of a shot." and "needs to work on defensive awareness." Thehockeywriters listed Sproul's skating as a strength despite the fact that it was well below average at all levels of play.

At least with Wallinder we can look at the footage and know that the kid has borderline elite skating ability. I don't know how the hell that ever got mentioned in a scouting report for Sproul.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Ryan Sproul's scouting report. Of note, "No longer knocked for his skating ability."

There isn't much consistency when looking at his scouting reports other than "cannon of a shot." and "needs to work on defensive awareness." Thehockeywriters listed Sproul's skating as a strength despite the fact that it was well below average at all levels of play.

At least with Wallinder we can look at the footage and know that the kid has borderline elite skating ability. I don't know how the hell that ever got mentioned in a scouting report for Sproul.

Sproul was an amazing skater. I dont know where youre getting the idea that he wasnt. He used to rush end to end all the time in the OHL, barely anyone could touch him with his size/speed combo. Sproul sucked in his own zone and had ome of the worst defensive awareness I've seen in a prospect but tools wise he was the total package athletically

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I wanted him at the pick but his scouting report reads to me like Ryan Sproul sometimes lol.
My worries for him are more Brendan Smith related. Both have good size and can skate. Both are known more for their offense than defense. Both are known to have consistency issues and trouble in the D zone with making the right reads and being in position.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Sproul was an amazing skater. I dont know where youre getting the idea that he wasnt. He used to rush end to end all the time in the OHL, barely anyone could touch him with his size/speed combo. Sproul sucked in his own zone and had ome of the worst defensive awareness I've seen in a prospect but tools wise he was the total package athletically

Straight ahead speed. Lateral agility and backwards speed were not calling cards of Sproul and those paired with his lack of defensive awareness are why he failed as a prospect.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just read a scouting report on Klefbom in his draft year, and it sounds a decent amount like Wallinder.

“Oscar Klefbom is a very toolsy defensive prospect with considerable upside if everything goes right. He’s an above-average skater who at times flashes plus. Klefbom gets up to top speed very quickly with a powerful stride which lets him take off and jump into the rush and get back into defensive position if the play gets behind him. Klefbom’s puck skills are solid-average as he can carry the puck at a notable level when moving at top speed. He’s a decent passer, and while he has the potential to be an above-average distributor, the hockey sense and vision doesn’t seem to be there enough for him to be that player. He has a decent shot, although I haven’t noticed much bad or good in that aspect of his game. Klefbom has a good frame that has filled out nicely for a player born in late July at around 6’3″, 200 lbs., but he doesn’t really use his body much from a physical perspective though he can win some battles. I’ve also seen him make bad decisions when being physically pressured. Hockey sense is Klefbom’s major liability as it grades from 35-40. He doesn’t see the ice well, takes too long with decisions, his defensive game is suspect and he can get too overzealous at times with his offensive rushes and pinches.”
-Hockey Prospectus’ Corey Pronman

Reactions: Ulysses31

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Had Sproul been good enough in his own end to not be a concern in the AHL, he would have got some real looks at the show, as he had lots of tools, despite a lack of agility. Sadly, he made Madison Bowey look like a shutdown guy. A shame as for a while he looked like a home-run pick, but just stopped developing. Wallinder has a multi-directional mobility that Sproul didn't ever, but doesn't have Sproul's shot. He does however seem to switch on more defensively at higher levels.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
So if everything clicks after a couple of years in Sweden...

Wallinder is a 6'4" version of Torey Krug?

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Just read a scouting report on Klefbom in his draft year, and it sounds a decent amount like Wallinder.

“Oscar Klefbom is a very toolsy defensive prospect with considerable upside if everything goes right. He’s an above-average skater who at times flashes plus. Klefbom gets up to top speed very quickly with a powerful stride which lets him take off and jump into the rush and get back into defensive position if the play gets behind him. Klefbom’s puck skills are solid-average as he can carry the puck at a notable level when moving at top speed. He’s a decent passer, and while he has the potential to be an above-average distributor, the hockey sense and vision doesn’t seem to be there enough for him to be that player. He has a decent shot, although I haven’t noticed much bad or good in that aspect of his game. Klefbom has a good frame that has filled out nicely for a player born in late July at around 6’3″, 200 lbs., but he doesn’t really use his body much from a physical perspective though he can win some battles. I’ve also seen him make bad decisions when being physically pressured. Hockey sense is Klefbom’s major liability as it grades from 35-40. He doesn’t see the ice well, takes too long with decisions, his defensive game is suspect and he can get too overzealous at times with his offensive rushes and pinches.”
-Hockey Prospectus’ Corey Pronman

It is eerily similar, however Wallinder is a better skater and more offense driven. However his defensive game is weaker than Klefbom. He is even more of a project than Klefbom was.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
It is eerily similar, however Wallinder is a better skater and more offense driven. However his defensive game is weaker than Klefbom. He is even more of a project than Klefbom was.

Klefbom looks like a pretty apt comparison as prospects go. I think Wallinder will be given more of a chance to succeed with Detroit with Yzerman running the show, though. Wallinder seems like a 4 year project kind of player, which I understand isn't ideal for a 2nd rounder. However, I think that Wallinder has overall more potential than Klefbom did at the same age. He's definitely the superior skater.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I hope they let him develop for a long time and don't rush him, I think he is a project but the upside if he takes more steps in his development could be reallyyyy big.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Had Sproul been good enough in his own end to not be a concern in the AHL, he would have got some real looks at the show, as he had lots of tools, despite a lack of agility. Sadly, he made Madison Bowey look like a shutdown guy. A shame as for a while he looked like a home-run pick, but just stopped developing. Wallinder has a multi-directional mobility that Sproul didn't ever, but doesn't have Sproul's shot. He does however seem to switch on more defensively at higher levels.

I remember being completely horrified half way through Sproul's rookie year in the AHL where all of the holes in his game looked massive. People talk about Smith the way Sproul actually was. I have never really seen a worse hockey IQ attached to a gifted player. Remember walking back from the old Bradley Center saying hopefully he can iron it out and us both agreeing he was a huge long shot on our second live viewing and a bunch of Griffins games online. In person it was staggering to see that he didn't understand angles at all and simple things like line changes he was messing up a handful of times a game. That isn't always there in the streams and tv angles, but man Sproul was lost and never really took steps forward.

He bullied junior players going forward. I mean he won CHL D-man of the Year, but the pros limited his strengths outside of the occasional one timer and went to work on his weaknesses. I think he is still kicking around in the A.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I remember being completely horrified half way through Sproul's rookie year in the AHL where all of the holes in his game looked massive. People talk about Smith the way Sproul actually was. I have never really seen a worse hockey IQ attached to a gifted player. Remember walking back from the old Bradley Center saying hopefully he can iron it out and us both agreeing he was a huge long shot on our second live viewing and a bunch of Griffins games online. In person it was staggering to see that he didn't understand angles at all and simple things like line changes he was messing up a handful of times a game. That isn't always there in the streams and tv angles, but man Sproul was lost and never really took steps forward.

He bullied junior players going forward. I mean he won CHL D-man of the Year, but the pros limited his strengths outside of the occasional one timer and went to work on his weaknesses. I think he is still kicking around in the A.

Last I heard Sproul left for the KHL and was playing for Kunlun Red Star.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yeah I forgot he was over there on the same team as Chelios' kid.

Hunter Shinkaruk was an interesting realization too when cruising their roster.

My sister went to a high school prom with one of their centers...:laugh:

I should know more about this team I guess.
Peter Bondra's kid is on the team too, and he played for MSU. Having a pro dad doesn't mean much unless he's the Head Amateur Scout, lol.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I’ve read Alex Edler as a stylistic comp
Comparison

Colton Parayko, Defense, St. Louis Blues

While they differ in handedness, the MODO man has numerous aspects of his game that echo the 2019 cup-winners. Both physical freaks with beautiful skating and pace to burn, they transition the puck up ice with aplomb. Furthermore, they both have fantastic shots that they could maybe look to use even more than they do, and are very dangerous once set-up in the offensive zone as a result.

Like Parayko, despite being highly skilled Wallinder is not the most creative player in the offensive zone, and produces at 5v5 in a utilitarian manner. The two are also physical around the net and along the boards, and are great at their own blue-line in terms of breaking up plays with aggressive stick-work. If Wallinder can improve his consistency and have a higher “minimum level” going forward he could have a similar impact at NHL level.

"Edler" or "Parayko", yeah. Quality on the middle pair, or top pair with Seider.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Wow ypu couldn't have been more wrong. Parayko is a great skater. Have you actually ever watched him play.
No and I never claimed I did. Comments earlier in the thread implied that skating was a weakness in his game. If that's not the case then hopefully he's a decent comparable after all.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
No and I never claimed I did. Comments earlier in the thread implied that skating was a weakness in his game. If that's not the case then hopefully he's a decent comparable after all.
Paraykos only weakness is control on his 105 mph slap shot he can skate with the best of them. Compare his skating to Lindstrom. He was better skater than petro.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Wallinder replaced on world junior team. Anyone know why?

Well, first off: it's not the world junior team. He's out of the U20 3-game header vs. Finland this coming week. Secondly: Sweden only replaces players due to injuries/illnesses.

If he's healthy for the WJCs he's more than likely in.

Reactions: waltdetroit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad