Wings Select D William Wallinder at 32nd OVR

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Has potential to be the best defenseman to come out of this draft. Amazing skater. Bit of a boom/bust guy but he is insane.

came in to say this... was keeping an eye on who got him because I think he will be the best pick in the draft

his skating (ignoring that he is 6’4”) is nutty

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Glad we got a D with our next pick and so high in the second round. Crossing fingers. Looks like next generation of Swedish mafia in full swing. The future of our D is starting to come together nicely.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Don't know this guy from a bar of soap. Those attributes do remind me of Ryan Sproul, particularly the relative weaknesses in defensive hockey IQ.

But we've Seider as the absolute rock solid guy to depend on, so we'll see how things go.

Reactions: Filppula

Christien

May 1, 2010
Our most intriguing pick so far besides Raymond. Such an elite skater, great hands as well. Just needs to keep rounding out his game defensively

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Our most intriguing pick so far besides Raymond. Such an elite skater, great hands as well. Just needs to keep rounding out his game defensively

Look at it like this; He could be our Alex Edler, or he could be our next Jakub Kindl.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Don't know this guy from a bar of soap. Those attributes do remind me of Ryan Sproul, particularly the relative weaknesses in defensive hockey IQ.

But we've Seider as the absolute rock solid guy to depend on, so we'll see how things go.

Look at it like this; He could be our Alex Edler, or he could be our next Jakub Kindl.

Yikes. Talk about boom or bust images.

Here's one more. Now y'all got me thinking this kid can be like Jonathan Ericsson (at his best) or Brendan Smith (on average), haha.

Reactions: lidstromiscool

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yikes. Talk about boom or bust images.

Here's one more. Now y'all got me thinking this kid can be like Jonathan Ericsson (at his best) or Brendan Smith (on average), haha.

Oh f*** that. If he makes it as an NHL regular he'll be better than both.

Wallinder has really good puck skills, and his skating is very good. He needs to work on strength and conditioning, as well as consistency.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I know I should be excited for this pick. Big, best skater among the DMen in this draft, offensively creative, but why am I not excited for this pick?

Probably because we have seen a lot of these picks, but a very very few have become something.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Probably because we have seen a lot of these picks, but a very very few have become something.

Ryan Sproul might have been able to make it if he could skate like that. Sproul skated well for a big guy. Wallinder skates well for any guy.

More like Brendan Smith than Sproul. The knocks on Wallinder is lack awareness in the defensive zone and decision making... gives me flashbacks of the good 'ol Brendan Smith days.

Smith is/was a good skater.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Ryan Sproul flashbacks.
This pick kinda scares me but keep in mind that 1. he’s right in Hakan’s backyard so he clearly approves 2. Draper and yzerman value iq/hockey sense a ton so they must not see it as a huge problem with wallinder

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
More like Brendan Smith than Sproul. The knocks on Wallinder is lack awareness in the defensive zone and decision making... gives me flashbacks of the good 'ol Brendan Smith days.

Smith is/was a good skater.

problem with Smith is that not only was he questionable defensively...he didn't produce on the other end, either. If Wallinder is a little weak defensively but routinely hangs 30+ points on the board, that can be made to work. Same is true if he does the opposite - a rock defensively but puts up 15 points a year. But you can't be bad at both.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
problem with Smith is that not only was he questionable defensively...he didn't produce on the other end, either. If Wallinder is a little weak defensively but routinely hangs 30+ points on the board, that can be made to work. Same is true if he does the opposite - a rock defensively but puts up 15 points a year. But you can't be bad at both.
The problem with Smith is that he's a moron. He managed to get a bench penalty for hitting the puck with his hand from the bench while the puck was in play. NOBODY DOES THAT.

If Wallinder can chew gum and walk at the same time, he's gotta be better than Smith. Plus he can't be as bad as Bowey...

Reactions: Filppula

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Can't go wrong with a 6'4" defenseman who can skate
519694614.0.jpg

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Big Rig before his hips went out was a useful NHL player at least. Wallinder hopefully will be better than him but any NHLer to emerge out of the 2nd round or later is a huge win, regardless of their ultimate role in the show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad