Wings Select D William Wallinder at 32nd OVR

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
Swedish defenceman William Wallinder put up five goals and 19 assists for 24 points in 37 games in the J20 league this year. He also played one game in the J18 league and dominated, putting up five assists when playing against his own age group. Wallinder also played 18 games in the Allsvenskan tallying two assists but still looking to put up his first goal, in Sweden’s second-tier men’s league. While this does not seem great, there are not many 17-year-olds who even play in the Allsvenskan and his two assists were the most points in the league by any Under-18 player this year.

Wallinder was also a member of Sweden’s entry at the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup but didn’t put up any points. He helped Sweden win a bronze medal. He also scored four points in four games for Modo at the Junior Club World Championship. A regular on Sweden’s Under-18 squad, Wallinder played in twelve games for his country and was likely to be part of their team at the Under-18 World Championships before the tournament was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

William Wallinder Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #24

Reactions: hkydave04

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Absolutely love this pick.

William Wallinder Scouting Report

Defence — shoots Left
Born July 28th, 2002 — Solleftea, Sweden
Height 6’4″ — Weight 192 lbs [193 cm/87 kg]

William Wallinder Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #24

Projection and Comparison

Already possessing excellent size and still growing, Wallinder should make NHL scouts and general managers drool. When you add in his strong skating, and his offensive skill, his potential is immense. However, his game is very raw, and he needs some coaching with the puck on his stick as well as defending away from the play. Wallinder needs some development time before he is ready to take the next step. Expect him to spend a couple of more years playing in Sweden before coming to North America. His game is reminiscent of Victor Hedman of the Tampa Bay Lightning but this is a stylistic comparison only and not one based on his skill and ability.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I know I should be excited for this pick. Big, best skater among the DMen in this draft, offensively creative, but why am I not excited for this pick?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Big, smooth skating LD. Love the pick from a need perspective and he's one of the best left from a talent perspective too. Very surprised he wasn't taken in the 1st quite honestly.

I'm surprised he didn't make it into the top 20, either. This kid has all the physical tools and downside of Broberg in 2019.
Pros: Excellent skater, great size and frame, strong physically, absolute monster of a shot, and is a pretty good passer.
Cons: Needs to learn when to pinch. Needs to work on cleaning up his own end. Seems disinterested at times. Can be more physical.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I know I should be excited for this pick. Big, best skater among the DMen in this draft, offensively creative, but why am I not excited for this pick?

He is very raw. Lots of tools. Pretty wide range of outcomes as far as what we could get.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Yzerman delegating all the selections to Hakan.

I don't hate the pick and you can't go wrong building a team around strong defense. I don't expect him to be more than a middle pairing guy in case McIsaac doesn't amount to anything.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Has potential to be the best defenseman to come out of this draft. Amazing skater. Bit of a boom/bust guy but he is insane.
That is what I get from the write-ups as well: Wallinder is a long-term project with a high ceiling and some traits that are more difficult to teach. I like the pick, Wallinder seemed to be the most interesting available player to me.

Gruß,
BSHH

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Damn, I wanted Gunler at 45...

This is frustrating trying to follow at work...I prefer it on a Saturday!!

Is Ponomarev still available? I wouldnt mind him at 45.

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Foudy is still available???

Lets go Yzerman, take Foudy!!

Or even gamble on Poirier at this point, high-risk, high-reward.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Dakinjor

Nov 13, 2014
Hi guys, love the pick I took the kid in the Oilers mock draft in the first round for Vegas, feel he could be a real gem (or potentially a complete bust) but hopefully he is the real deal , he was a lot of fun to watch play when he was engaged and using his brain.

Reactions: mantha39

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->