Wings Select D William Wallinder at 32nd OVR

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
The speed he glides in at, the move and the shot all look so fluid and effortless. It's amazing. Now we just need to see this more consistently.

This is his biggest downfall. Elite skater, but inconsistency and his non existent defense game are his biggest areas for improvement.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
This is his biggest downfall. Elite skater, but inconsistency and his non existent defense game are his biggest areas for improvement.

It's not non-existent. It's just as inconsistent as the rest of his game. When he hustles the guy is on top of his man like young Vlasic. I really hope that the Abbott brothers in Rogle are able to unlock the next gear in his game like they did with Seider.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Six penalty minutes for Willie!!! For the longest time he had zero
He's overly physical but Wallinder uses his speed and reach so well, that he's never in trouble. This is incredibly valuable trait. Wallinder-Seider 1st pair, in 3-4 years from now. And i remain in my statement, "Wallinder #32, biggest steal in the 2020 draft".

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He's overly physical but Wallinder uses his speed and reach so well, that he's never in trouble. This is incredibly valuable trait. Wallinder-Seider 1st pair, in 3-4 years from now. And i remain in my statement, "Wallinder #32, biggest steal in the draft".

I'm glad I wasn't alone in wanting Wallinder so much in the 2020 draft. I had him mid 1st round. The guy I compared him to in his draft was Broberg as a project defenseman with a lot of boom or bust potential, but I think that he's been better in the SHL this year than Broberg ever was in Skelleftea.

Reactions: wingerdinger

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I'm glad I wasn't alone in wanting Wallinder so much in the 2020 draft. I had him mid 1st round. The guy I compared him to in his draft was Broberg as a project defenseman with a lot of boom or bust potential, but I think that he's been better in the SHL this year than Broberg ever was in Skelleftea.
Broberg was the defensemen a lot of posters here wanted for us to take instead of Seider.

Reactions: David D

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
In that who would you have drafted, I had the same picks as the one we made for that 2020 draft.

But I will say I want to see this kid at the NHL level before I get too excited. I recall a lot of questions about his hockey IQ (similar to Broberg) in his draft year. You have to make decisions at a different speed at the NHL level.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
In that who would you have drafted, I had the same picks as the one we made for that 2020 draft.

But I will say I want to see this kid at the NHL level before I get too excited. I recall a lot of questions about his hockey IQ (similar to Broberg) in his draft year. You have to make decisions at a different speed at the NHL level.

I understand that. After watching Broberg in the SHL a lot last year with Skelleftea and with the Oilers this year, I think we can safely say he has a common condition known as "Brendan Smith brain". But Wallinder is doing a lot to answer the hockey IQ questions. He has been pretty solid all around for Rogle and he's been good at assessing risk.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Broberg was a complete liability in the SHL.

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I had Wallinder a #20 overall, but the Devils took Mukhamadullin instead.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Needs to be more physical. Unfortunately seems like one of those situations where either you like to use your body or you dont. There is nothing more I hate than a big man lacking physicality, he was way too soft for the first goal against today. Great prospect but that aspect needs serious work.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Needs to be more physical. Unfortunately seems like one of those situations where either you like to use your body or you dont. There is nothing more I hate than a big man lacking physicality, he was way too soft for the first goal against today. Great prospect but that aspect needs serious work.
Defense/IQ has always been the question mark around Wallinder.
He's got a couple years to figure it out.
He's made great strides since last year, when he looked headed toward bustville.

Reactions: lilidk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad