Wings Select D William Wallinder at 32nd OVR

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Anybody watch him this season. How is he defensively.? At this stage points not very important, but what about his physical and defensive game?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Do we know what league he is starting in and what kind of role he will have?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Do we know what league he is starting in and what kind of role he will have?

Last I saw he was demoted to J20 from Rogle. So, if that holds, he should be top pair. Just disappointing that he had to take a step back in competition level

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Last I saw he was demoted to J20 from Rogle. So, if that holds, he should be top pair. Just disappointing that he had to take a step back in competition level
That's disappointing. I thought the Allsvenskan was the perfect place for him to develop last year. He is too much a liability defensively for the SHL, but he didn't look challenged enough in the J20. Curious to see if Rögle loans him out for a stint.

Reactions: Killerjas

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
George Malik
@georgemalik

Random question for you: do you think we'll keep seeing Wallinder loaned out to the J20 league for "confidence-building" games? It's been interesting to watch him yo-yo between leagues.

Red Wings Prospects
@DRWProspects

I think so, but we'll get a better idea over the next 5-10 games. Rögle seems to want him around but the ice time won't be much, so he'll probably play J20 too. This is the downside of having prospects on top SHL teams... A longer term loan to the Allsvenskan is another option.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yeah he was injured for their first game, and then with almost a week until the next game they sent him to J20 for playing time. Today is Rögle's 2nd game so we will see if Wally is in the lineup. Too early for sure to say he's not going to play in SHL, but he does not have guaranteed top 6 position.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is a guy I think really could have benefitted from going the NCAA route, although I understand that is a huge ask for someone his age in another country.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
This is a guy I think really could have benefitted from going the NCAA route, although I understand that is a huge ask for someone his age in another country.
Wallinder lost his NCAA eligible, the moment he played his first pro-game. And im pretty sure Wallinder would had have to attend school also, most of of the european players doesn't care about going to school at this moment. For example Tuomisto, decided couple years before he was even drafted, that would go to school first.

Allsvenskan is best place for Wallinder now, just like Gustav Lindström played his D+1 year in Allsvenskan and D+2 year in SHL. Wallinder is more long term project than Lindström was, this year in Allsvenskan and then the next two years in SHL. Then we know which way he is going.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I know he has a lot of doubters but I've always been a huge fan of his, and believe in his upside. I'd like to see him stick in the men's league, seems like he's doing alright.

Didn't we all recently learn he's actually been injured?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
1 point in 4 U20 games... Uh what is going on?
Wouldn't freak out yet.. Rögle has only played 2 games, Wallinder was injured for one and played 5 minutes in the other.
No consistency for William yet in how and where he plays. And point production is far from the most important thing (much better if he plays solid defense and doesn't cheat for offense).

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
He might not actually be good. It happens.

I was very surprised to learn that Wallinder is barely 19, if the 2020 draft had occurred at the normal time he would've been a month shy of 18, probably one of the youngest in the draft. That gives me a little more hope he might develop, the dude is only 19. I'm still not super hopeful he'll ever be more than a depth defenseman...in the SHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad