Prospect Info: Wings prospects at the WJC

Yooper906

Jul 1, 2016
Michigan
A guy like Comtois is probably a third liner in the NHL full time. Other guys like Morgan Frost and Owen Tippett probably wont even be NHLers.
“Won’t even be NHLers.” Two first round picks, from two years ago, and your declaring they won’t even be NHLers? Seems like a bit of a stretch, or at least a very biased opinion. They’ve looked really good on the best team in the tournament.

Reactions: lilidk

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
“Won’t even be NHLers.” Two first round picks, from two years ago, and your declaring they won’t even be NHLers? Seems like a bit of a stretch, or at least a very biased opinion. They’ve looked really good on the best team in the tournament.

Don't confuse junior hockey with professional hockey. I think those two make the NHL, but I am not sold on them being impactful players.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Oh yeah it still happens, but if you go through it year by year, especially as a Canadian who is focused on team Canada, the list is so long for guys you think are going to be world beaters.

Off the top of my head you have guys like Dustin Boyd, Shawn Matthias, Chris DiDomenico, Thomas Hickey, Colten Teubert, Zach Boychuk, Patrice Cormier, Stefan Della Rovere, Stefan Legein, Freddie Hamilton, Jonathan Bernier etc. the list goes on. In terms of players from other nations, guys like Filatov, Erne, Fasching, etc.

And even then you have guys who are good NHLers like Pietrangelo and D. Hamilton and they are various levels of top 2/4 D who I was thinking could land as a generational type guy based on their impact at these tournaments.

Of course the Doughty, McDavid, Crosby, Marchand, etc. guys go against this, but it just seemed like every year I was swept up in the hype of the tournament and put unwarranted stock into a short tournament. Good players have bad tournaments and average players have great tournaments.

That is my bias and maybe general inexperience, but now I follow it and I'm watching it but I have an idea of most of the impact players from each nation before I go into it, so I have a lot more context to place the tournament into.

As we were saying earlier - guys like Veleno and McIsaac being role players, especially at their ages, is nothing to be worried about. And likewise next season if both go and tear it up for Canada, that is great, but it doesn't mean too much in the big picture of their NHL career.
I must say it's definitely your own bias and general inexperience. If you thought Petro and Dougie were going to be generational d-men then wow. Generational players from Canada make this team at 16. And the majority of guys you named off the top of your head for Canada were role players. Every year a role player gets his prospect status raised unjustly due to performing well in a small sample size. That's the problem with this tournament and average fans.

Performance's in this tournament shouldn't be discredited nor should they be as praised as they are. A player could underperform for many reasons that we will never be privy too.

But when a player puts on a special performance on a big stage (Tavares vs USA on NYE, down early and made the comeback, Toews in the Semi Finals in North Dakota, Price in the same Semi, Laine/Aho a few years ago, etc) it should be noted by the hockey world.
As fans we just need to be better at recognizing which performances were special(Rask in 06WJC) and which were propped up by circumstances(Pogge in 06 WJC).

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I must say it's definitely your own bias and general inexperience. If you thought Petro and Dougie were going to be generational d-men then wow. Generational players from Canada make this team at 16. And the majority of guys you named off the top of your head for Canada were role players. Every year a role player gets his prospect status raised unjustly due to performing well in a small sample size. That's the problem with this tournament and average fans.

Performance's in this tournament shouldn't be discredited nor should they be as praised as they are. A player could underperform for many reasons that we will never be privy too.

But when a player puts on a special performance on a big stage (Tavares vs USA on NYE, down early and made the comeback, Toews in the Semi Finals in North Dakota, Price in the same Semi, Laine/Aho a few years ago, etc) it should be noted by the hockey world.
As fans we just need to be better at recognizing which performances were special(Rask in 06WJC) and which were propped up by circumstances(Pogge in 06 WJC).

For sure my age and inexperience throughout late 90s - early 2010s played into it

I would also lay some blame on Canadian sports media, as the talking heads on sportsnet/ tsn/ cbc also love to prop these tournaments up to a larger degree than they warrant

I'd say my viewing and fan scouting experience has been more "accurate" for lack of a better word in the last few years, and it went hand in hand with spending more time watching amateur hockey throughout their regular seasons

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I will say overvaluing these international tournaments happens on a bigger scale, too.

I mean Craig Button is guilty of this pretty much every year, and he gets paid to scout these kids.

Also on Craig Custance’s podcast, Pronman said the reason Elias Petterson wasn’t ranked higher by teams was because some teams based their evaluations too much on international tournaments, where he was not nearly as impressive as he was in league play in the Allsvenskan.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
For sure my age and inexperience throughout late 90s - early 2010s played into it

I would also lay some blame on Canadian sports media, as the talking heads on sportsnet/ tsn/ cbc also love to prop these tournaments up to a larger degree than they warrant

I'd say my viewing and fan scouting experience has been more "accurate" for lack of a better word in the last few years, and it went hand in hand with spending more time watching amateur hockey throughout their regular seasons
Oh I would put a lot of blame on TSN and the likes. For people who are supposed to know the game and enlighten us fans to the insights of hockey minds some of their takes are ridiculous. Easy to see why guys like Button used to be talent evaluators for NHL teams and not still currently.

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I will say overvaluing these international tournaments happens on a bigger scale, too.

I mean Craig Button is guilty of this pretty much every year, and he gets paid to scout these kids.

Also on Craig Custance’s podcast, Pronman said the reason Elias Petterson wasn’t ranked higher by teams was because some teams based their evaluations too much on international tournaments, where he was not nearly as impressive as he was in league play in the Allsvenskan.
Yeah it’s weird that scouts do it too. Again the kid could have underperformed for any number of reasons in a short tournament. Look at the entire body of work in their draft year.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
What current actual NHL stars were totally non-existent during their world juniors? Ie; made no impact, barely played or barely produced

I think that's a more important question than which world junior star didnt do jack in the NHL

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
0 points in 3 games and you are talking about NHL next year. This kid need 1 or 2 more year. At least Veleno could be 3 line player. Zadina just better version of Frk and nothing more.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I could not be more disappointed then I am in Zadina. Forget about blaming the coach Zadina looks completely disinterested. He has been invisible this tournament. It was a mistake to send him. He needs a good kick in the ass.

On the other side of the coin I could not be happier with the play of McIsaac. He has been physical, blocking shots, playing the PK and just making lots of smart defensive plays. He looks like the perfect partner for Hronek on an NHL 2nd pairing in Detroit.

Reactions: ShanahanMan
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Zadina is just not a carry the line type guy. He's a quick strike scorer. If his linemates can't get him the puck, he won't do much. But he also doesn't have the skating ability to go wide and do it himself. He's sort of a Brett Hull type player. He battled more in the first game, but it was like after that, he accepted it. In the second game, he played like this, but came alive at the very end when he was reunited with Necas.

I think he rrrreally needs to improve on his speed if he wants to be an effective scorer at the NHL level. Once a team realizes Zadina is mostly a stationary scorer, they close on him and start blocking shots, and he's not effective anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wooren
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
On the positive sign of things, I thought Veleno looked good this game. He needed to show the coaching staff that he can give them offense, and he delivered on that. I also thought he skated harder, which helped.

And McIsaac was good. He had a couple of rocky moments at the beginning, but he played well offensively for the most part, threw out some bonecrunching hits (some of questionable legality, and he might see a suspension here yet), and generally played solid defense at ES and on the PK. If you want a defenseman who's going to bring a physical, defensive presence to this team while still being able to actually pass and skate, McIsaac is your guy.

Reactions: lilidk

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Petterson is too small to play in the NHL. Everyone knows this. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad