Prospect Info: Wings prospects at the WJC

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hughes is 17... he will get stronger. This is a short-sighted way of looking at things, IMO. You want to draft the guy who will be the best in 5 years.

Petterson looked physically outmatched at the WJC in his draft year, but look at him now.

It just an excuse. When Laine and Matthews came to WJC and didn't look anyhow excuseable weak. They just started dominating.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It just an excuse. When Laine and Matthews came to WJC and didn't look anyhow excuseable weak. They just started dominating.

In his draft year Matthews had 3 points in 5 games, Zadina had 7 goals and 8 points in 7 games in his draft year. Laine played on a line with Pulujarvi and Sebastien Aho who is 21 and over a point per game in the NHL already. One of the most stacked lines in WJC history (especially reecently) so its tough to use any excuses for him anyways. Zadina has been disappointing production wise this tournament but hes looked dangerous and been snake bitten and its also not an excuse to say hes had garbage linemates, theyre bad. Youre also comparing him to a 1st and 2nd overall pick who are the best goal scorers to enter the NHL in the last decade.

I guarantee Matthews linemates were a lot better than what Zadinas are this year. Theres a reason that Czech team has been low scoring, the coach is putting skill with grinders and its working horribly. 4 goals in 3 games for the entire team, Necas has got to play with another first round pick and has like one more point. Thers more to it than Zadina just being bad.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

An excuse? They’re built totally different. Those guys were way more fully developed at the same age.

In his draft year Matthews had 3 points in 5 games, Zadina had 7 goals and 8 points in 7 games in his draft year. Laine played on a line with Pulujarvi and Sebastien Aho who is 21 and over a point per game in the NHL already. One of the most stacked lines in WJC history (especially reecently) so its tough to use any excuses for him anyways. Zadina has been disappointing production wise this tournament but hes looked dangerous and been snake bitten and its also not an excuse to say hes had garbage linemates, theyre bad. Youre also comparing him to a 1st and 2nd overall pick who are the best goal scorers to enter the NHL in the last decade.

I guarantee Matthews linemates were a lot better than what Zadinas are this year. Theres a reason that Czech team has been low scoring, the coach is putting skill with grinders and its working horribly. 4 goals in 3 games for the entire team, Necas has got to play with another first round pick and has like one more point. Thers more to it than Zadina just being bad.

I think Henkka was talking about Hughes there and not Zadina.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

He has one assist in the one game he played and was one of their best players...

People are making up reasons to pretend Hughes isn't special at this point, I don't get it. Pierre McGuire is the first guy to hint at having him as a lower tier than a few recent number 1s. He is still the runaway number 1 and there is a reason for that. Guy is insanely talented. Hopefully he plays tonight against Finland, the USA needs his offense, they have really missed it since he went down. I would be thrilled to win this lottery and there wouldn't be a seconds hesitation on who they should take.

Glad Zadina bounced back a little. Unfortunately his breakout game would now likely need to come against the United States which I don't want... I thought the Czechs new lines worked a little better today, still not as good as I expected them to be this year. They have been poor as a group so far this tournament.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think Henkka was talking about Hughes there and not Zadina.
I shouldve noticed that by the way he literally started the post talking about Hughes. I guess my point about Matthews inhis draft year still stands though and if you put Hughes with Aho and Pulujarvi he would light it up.

I guess replace everything I said about Zadina with Hughes and my post still counts lol

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
It's fair to say Zadina's not having a great tournament. He was really shut down against a better team like Russia. Still as they say, it's a 19 y/o's-tournament- you can see the best D+2 guys are a step above: Brannstrom, Frost, Necas, Tippet, Poehling, etc. are standing out a lot more.

Realistically, based on these games, who would you rather Detroit re-draft in 2018? I would say Wahlstrom, Hayton, Dobson, Farrabee are more noticeable, though not enough to have regrets. Boqvist and Hughes do make me question. Hughes' skating is a thing of wonder. He's Gaudreau-like the way he can propel himself forward and back around the rink. He's small but so quick making plays, his vision and creativity are from a higher dimension lol.

I hope Holland went by more than Mckenzie's rankings when he chose Zadina. :sarcasm:

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Hughes is 17... he will get stronger. This is a short-sighted way of looking at things, IMO. You want to draft the guy who will be the best in 5 years.

Petterson looked physically outmatched at the WJC in his draft year, but look at him now.

Petterson is 6'2 not 5'9 like Hughes is. I really wanted Petterson to fall to Detroit in that draft. Hughes is a pure offensive player does not play even close to a 200 foot game.
I'm not sure if Hughes will be the best player 5 years from now from the 2019 draft.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It's fair to say Zadina's not having a great tournament. He was really shut down against a better team like Russia. Still as they say, it's a 19 y/o's-tournament- you can see the best D+2 guys are a step above: Brannstrom, Frost, Necas, Tippet, Poehling, etc. are standing out a lot more.

Realistically, based on these games, who would you rather Detroit re-draft in 2018? I would say Wahlstrom, Hayton, Dobson, Farrabee are more noticeable, though not enough to have regrets. Boqvist and Hughes do make me question. Hughes' skating is a thing of wonder. He's Gaudreau-like the way he can propel himself forward and back around the rink. He's small but so quick making plays, his vision and creativity are from a higher dimension lol.

I hope Holland went by more than Mckenzie's rankings when he chose Zadina. :sarcasm:

Zadina is old for his draft year and is 19.

But I don't think he has been bad. He doesn't drive a line right now though which is a little troubling during this year. He got stuck without the other two good players without significant linemates in this tournament. He also has been ridiculously snakebit in terms of some chances just not going. He gets Kaut yesterday and bingo multi-point game.

I think we all know I wouldn't have selected Zadina, but he isn't having a bad year. Just I think some expectations were maybe a touch high. Now the Wings flamed those fans of the fire so not having Art Regner say ridiculous things about him all over the website might be a good idea. But still this tournament has been fine, he wanted to go and we let him go. That is good organizationally. When he gets back to Grand Rapids he can start the grind of pro hockey again.

I know he is our player, but at this point as a USA hockey fan the last thing I want is for his first good game to be in the quarters. At this point I am good with him just having a down tournament thanks. Still I think he played better than his numbers at times. The Canada game was rough, but they keyed on him and he didn't get much help from the two guys on his line, that happens it isn't the end of the world.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague

Necas has sucked more than Zadina. As for the others, put Zadina on team Canada, USA or Sweden and he is a point machine.

Reactions: TheMule93

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Necas has sucked more than Zadina. As for the others, put Zadina on team Canada, USA or Sweden and he is a point machine.

They should both be doing more. Look at what Kurashev is doing with the Swiss team. Maybe the coaching and linemates haven’t been ideal, but I know they’re capable of more than what we’ve seen so far.

Reactions: Wooren

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
They should both be doing more. Look at what Kurashev is doing with the Swiss team. Maybe the coaching and linemates haven’t been ideal, but I know they’re capable of more than what we’ve seen so far.
Can't argue with that, both should do more. Though again, Switzerland seems to be playing an excellent system that gets everything from their players. Czech team has no system.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
People are over thinking and worrying about Zadina! The Czech team is not some powerhouse here, and as such, even their best players won't have a fair shot to show how good they are. When you are playing against teams like Canada, Russia etc, you are going to be highly over matched and the offensive guys will be facing the absolute best defenders, and seeing as they can't score goals that is a huge reason.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
People are over thinking and worrying about Zadina! The Czech team is not some powerhouse here, and as such, even their best players won't have a fair shot to show how good they are. When you are playing against teams like Canada, Russia etc, you are going to be highly over matched and the offensive guys will be facing the absolute best defenders, and seeing as they can't score goals that is a huge reason.
I disagree. If a kid who just learned to shave a few years ago doesn't set the world on fire within 3 games of a random tournament, clearly he's a complete bust, and fans should bring out the pitchforks and torches before he's even played 10 NHL games.

Or something like that. :D

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
people put way too much stock into short tournaments like these

there's a bunch of people putting more stock into an underwhelming 4 game performance in a junior tournament right now than in his performance over ~40% of a season in a pro league in contention for the title of second best hockey league in the world and there's something profoundly screwy about that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad