Prospect Info: Wings prospects at the WJC

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
From what I’ve seen this tournament. Zadina has looked really responsible defensively. I dont know where He gets 1 dimensional label
I think it comes from his 2 big O zone moves of one timers, and walk off the half wall wrist shot. I think he comes back and plays well. I think he will be ok just going to take some time hes not a game changer like some want to think.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
I like his stick play with his reach but he does seem out of position more often than not imo. He has potential.

Setkov was awful against Swiss. Out of position several times every period. At least 10 bad passes, losing puck battles all over the place. 26 minutes is just way too much for him. I think it makes him think it's all up to him and with his restricted hockey IQ he just can't handle it. Instead of doing the simple thing every once in a while to make it work for the team, he thinks he needs to do the tape-on-tape 30-foot pass or rush the puck end-to-end or whatever his "Setkov First" approach puts in his head at each moment. He simply can't manage that.

He needs to tone it down a whole lot, if he is to develop into an NHL player. He is no way near that now. It is obvious why he has problems breaking into SHL on a steady basis.

Reactions: Realgud

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Zadina is just not a carry the line type guy. He's a quick strike scorer. If his linemates can't get him the puck, he won't do much. But he also doesn't have the skating ability to go wide and do it himself. He's sort of a Brett Hull type player. He battled more in the first game, but it was like after that, he accepted it. In the second game, he played like this, but came alive at the very end when he was reunited with Necas.

I think he rrrreally needs to improve on his speed if he wants to be an effective scorer at the NHL level. Once a team realizes Zadina is mostly a stationary scorer, they close on him and start blocking shots, and he's not effective anymore.

Pretty spot on in most respects. Players can put up a lot of points in juniors without really moving their feet. Professional hockey is a rude awakening and these kids are forced to learn to do everything while moving their feet (which doesn't always happen).

In typical Hfboards fashion, the pendulum has probably swung too far to the bearish side. He hasn't been nearly as bad as people have suggested and is clearly the second best player on his team. This recent disappointment shows just how little Wings fans actually watched him in his draft year. People are all of a sudden shocked that he isn't a high motor, 200 foot puck hound like Necas. Sorry, but this shouldn't come as a surprise.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
Best I could find so far:

Probably the wrong reaction on my part, but I’m glad this kid is carrying on the Red Wings tradition of good open ice-hitting defensemen. Vladdy was literally the reason I played hockey as a little kid, and Kronwall has been a personal favorite since he joined the Griffins.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
That hit was very mild and not suspension worthy in my opinion! He lept up backwards slightly toward the end of the hit, but it wasn't some crazy jump or something.

Reactions: NervousPerson

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Next time do the same, without the jump and it's fine. Keep hitting, be an intimidator.

We need that kind of guy on defence, which opposite forwards have to think what they do. Then they'll start being on perimeter = losing hockey = winning hockey for us.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Hard to do it almost literally by himself. Other than the top line, and Z, there’s literally no talent on that team.
This is just false, the team has plenty of talent, unfortunately it also has by far the worst coaching staff of all the WJC teams. If the Czechs had an assurance they cannot be relegated (the WJC is played in the Czech Republic next year), I would actually cheer for Denmark to beat us, because the coaching staff deserves to be embarassed considering how they wasted the potential of our best team in 15 years. But since we can be relegated, hopefully they somehow beat Danes.

Reactions: Frk It

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This is just false, the team has plenty of talent, unfortunately it also has by far the worst coaching staff of all the WJC teams. If the Czechs had an assurance they cannot be relegated (the WJC is played in the Czech Republic next year), I would actually cheer for Denmark to beat us, because the coaching staff deserves to be embarassed considering how they wasted the potential of our best team in 15 years. But since we can be relegated, hopefully they somehow beat Danes.

Why is that coaching staff so poor? Is it because Varada has a double role also as Trinec coach, so it's just less time for better planning? Or where does this come from.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Why is that coaching staff so poor? Is it because Varada has a double role also as Trinec coach, so it's just less time for better planning? Or where does this come from.
No idea, he led this team (1999 age group) in the U18s and did a great job. His decision making with the U20s is just terrible though, the only good decision he has made was making Lukas Dostal the starter over more "proven" Skarek.
If I recall correctly, Filip Pesan, who led the junior team last year, did a terrific job despite having a role as a Liberec coach.
Also, Varada picked Elias as his assistant, who I think has none coach experience. And it shows, Elias is the who runs the PP and it is about as dysfunctional as it can get. Just complete WTF and I can't wait till they are gone.

SergeiYzerman

Oct 9, 2018
Hughes honestly does not really impress me. He has great offensive ability for sure but is very easy to seperate from the puck. He got nailed into the boards twice by Slovakia.
This may be weird to say but I kind of hope Detroit gets the 3rd or 4th pick to get Cozens or Dach.

I agree. Hughes has all the finesse in the world, but the kid avoids physicality like crazy. I think Hughes is more of a gamble than people realize. He's going to be a good NHL'er no doubt, but I don't think he's going to be the generational talent like his comparative Patrick Kane is. I think Detroit should take Kakko if at all possible, even if they get #1 overall. He's by far the more complete player of the two, even if he doesn't have Hughes's skating and sneakiness. If not Kakko, maybe go after another D-man. But honestly Cozens or Dach would probably be solid picks as well.

Reactions: Go Wings

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Would be nice to see Kucherov with Witkowski and Glendening. :sarcasm:
I like Glendening a lot . He is one of those Red Wings should never be traded . He is 29 , but not slowing down , looks strong . Believe or not Kucherov - Glendening -E. Svechnikov line will be awesome

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Ya but I mean put Nikita Kucherov with garbage and he wouldn’t even crack top 30 scoring.

If you watch the games Zadina looks good.
First of all Zadina needs to forget that he is superstar and start working on his weaknesses.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I agree. Hughes has all the finesse in the world, but the kid avoids physicality like crazy. I think Hughes is more of a gamble than people realize. He's going to be a good NHL'er no doubt, but I don't think he's going to be the generational talent like his comparative Patrick Kane is. I think Detroit should take Kakko if at all possible, even if they get #1 overall. He's by far the more complete player of the two, even if he doesn't have Hughes's skating and sneakiness. If not Kakko, maybe go after another D-man. But honestly Cozens or Dach would probably be solid picks as well.

Hughes is 17... he will get stronger. This is a short-sighted way of looking at things, IMO. You want to draft the guy who will be the best in 5 years.

Petterson looked physically outmatched at the WJC in his draft year, but look at him now.

Reactions: Leronziia

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Hughes is 17... he will get stronger. This is a short-sighted way of looking at things, IMO. You want to draft the guy who will be the best in 5 years.

Petterson looked physically outmatched at the WJC in his draft year, but look at him now.
Petterson is also at least 4-5 inches taller which makes a difference IMO.

Still have to take Hughes because BPA but I'm not seeing generational written on him. Could be I'm expecting to see too much in the WJC though.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Petterson is also at least 4-5 inches taller which makes a difference IMO.

Still have to take Hughes because BPA but I'm not seeing generational written on him. Could be I'm expecting too see too much in the WJC too though.

Generational is really misused on this website. Crosby and McDavid are generational to me, I'm not expecting there to be one in every draft class.

I think Hughes can be Patty Kane 2.0. Elite winger that is a puck possession beast and tilts the ice in a big way. We will see if he can make that happen, I am curious to see how much him and Quinn are able to get stronger from here.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad