Prospect Info: Wings prospects at the WJC

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Kakko looks good, I expect a huge tournament from him. Don't know why but the way that announcer pronounces "Finland" is really annoying.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Was gonna make a thread for this, so here’s the note I saved for it:

WJC Primer

Wings prospects to watch:
RW Filip Zadina (Czech Republic)
C Joe Veleno (Canada)
D Jared McIsaac (Canada)
D Malte Setkov (Denmark)

2019 Prospects to watch

Goalie
Mads Sogaard (Denmark)

Defense
Mikko Kokkonen (Finland)
Anttoni Honka (Finland)
Philip Broberg (Sweden)
Vladislav Kolyachonok (Belarus)

Forward
Jack Hughes (USA)
Kappo Kakko (Finland)
Vasili Podkolzin (Russia)
Maxim Cajkovic (Slovakia)

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
In case you ever wanted to see Setkov get scored on twice in kind of a pathetic manner, here you go:

Ooof, the first one was fluky, the other defenseman acted like the play was over. On the 2nd one he looked like he didn't know how to play good defense and didn't have the physical ability to play good defense either.

Of course, that is the smallest of small samples and he is a guy I liked in the prospect games

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
2nd period by Veleno was solid. He's looking more comfortable in his role, and playing with a lot of energy and jump. He's looked a little deferential offensively, though. He's been looking to pass a lot. I'd like to see him play more selfishly, because his linemates are more of the defensive type.

McIsaac isn't getting a lot of shifts, but he's been decent enough.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Christien

May 1, 2010
Kind of annoying though that Veleno is getting 4th line minutes and not even playing center

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Kind of annoying though that Veleno is getting 4th line minutes and not even playing center

There is a reason scouts and NHL people call this a 19 year olds tournament. Button probably says it the most, but making it as an 18 year old is a pretty good statement. They don't generally make the team that is one of the reasons this tournament has sometimes been an issue for draft eligible players. This is a really competitive tournament. I am happy he is there, if he gets a chance to move up he needs to grab it, but either way this should be a good experience for him. Earning more ice time would honestly be welcomed, I think that is a big time character building moment and that is what awaits him trying to make the team out of camp next year.

Jul 30, 2005
He's not a Wings prospect, but I have a hard time seeing Morgan Frost as an impact NHLer. He just doesn't move his feet.

The more I think about it, the more I don't mind Veleno playing depth minutes. One of the best qualities a skilled player can pick up is that battling mentality on the boards and in the corners. I think this is a good way for him to learn how to do that ahead of the NHL. Especially because his linemates aren't going to get him the puck, so if he wants it, he's going to have to go get it himself.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
There is a reason scouts and NHL people call this a 19 year olds tournament. Button probably says it the most, but making it as an 18 year old is a pretty good statement. They don't generally make the team that is one of the reasons this tournament has sometimes been an issue for draft eligible players. This is a really competitive tournament. I am happy he is there, if he gets a chance to move up he needs to grab it, but either way this should be a good experience for him. Earning more ice time would honestly be welcomed, I think that is a big time character building moment and that is what awaits him trying to make the team out of camp next year.

Ya a 30th overall pick making team Canada is good in itself. Cant complain about the minutes he plays. Even moreso for McIsaac, its a really tough tournament for young D.

Once the tourney gets going Veleno will get more time because hes on the first PK.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
He's not a Wings prospect, but I have a hard time seeing Morgan Frost as an impact NHLer. He just doesn't move his feet.

I'm not sure what your definition of "impact" is - but being drafted 27th overall isn't usually indicative of a guy being a world beater

I am pulling for him because he is from my neck of the woods, and lucky for the Flyers, they have a lot of established guys and a lot of guys he will be competing with for opportunity, so he doesn't have to break through his ceiling for them to succeed. He might top out as an average 2nd line LW rather than a potential 1B type C like some thought he would be at the time of the draft. He has to compete against Giroux, Couturier, Patrick, Laughton, Varone, Rubstov, Vorobyov, etc. as a C in that organization. Other than JvR they don't have as many pressing LWs. Ratcliffe, M. Strome, Kase, etc. on the way but he will be in the thick of it.

Jul 30, 2005
I'm not sure what your definition of "impact" is - but being drafted 27th overall isn't usually indicative of a guy being a world beater

I am pulling for him because he is from my neck of the woods, and lucky for the Flyers, they have a lot of established guys and a lot of guys he will be competing with for opportunity, so he doesn't have to break through his ceiling for them to succeed. He might top out as an average 2nd line LW rather than a potential 1B type C like some thought he would be at the time of the draft. He has to compete against Giroux, Couturier, Patrick, Laughton, Varone, Rubstov, Vorobyov, etc. as a C in that organization. Other than JvR they don't have as many pressing LWs. Ratcliffe, M. Strome, Kase, etc. on the way but he will be in the thick of it.
Because of his point totals, he's gotten a fair amount of hype from Flyers fans who insist they've gotten a steal. I just don't see that. I see a guy who might not be a regular top six player, but doesn't have the game to be a bottom six player, either. Like a poor man's Dylan Strome: very skilled, solid frame (he looks bigger than 6'0 to me), but doesn't have the skating ability to stick at the NHL level. Strome is skilled enough that he can still make it work, but if he were less skilled, he wouldn't make it. That's where I put Frost.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Because of his point totals, he's gotten a fair amount of hype from Flyers fans who insist they've gotten a steal. I just don't see that. I see a guy who might not be a regular top six player, but doesn't have the game to be a bottom six player, either. Like a poor man's Dylan Strome: very skilled, solid frame (he looks bigger than 6'0 to me), but doesn't have the skating ability to stick at the NHL level.

Funny you say that, I was thinking of a slightly better, but nearly identical, Ryan Strome

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Frost is a good skater. He may have that Mantha issue where he doesn’t always move his feet, but he’s not a bad skater IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad