Prospect Info: Wings prospects at the WJC

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
The Czech team is poorly constructed and poorly coached this year. All of Necas, Kaut, and Zadina are "disappointing" in comparison to last year. They've still played plenty of great hockey in spite of that and i don't know how anyone could say Zadina is mailing it in. If there's one positive takeaway, its that he plays with a ton of intensity.

Reactions: Wooren and Ezekial

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
There sure are a lot of excuses for the guy and downplaying the importance considering the narrative before the tournament was that not dominating was an absolute non-possibility and this would do huge things in building his confidence

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
There sure are a lot of excuses for the guy and downplaying the importance considering the narrative before the tournament was that not dominating was an absolute non-possibility and this would do huge things in building his confidence
I think he is vastly over rated and we are going to have a lot of people let down in a big way but thats just me.

Reactions: Lil Bert

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
That Czech team is so disorganized I'm surprised they can even get the puck in the zone even as little as they can. Unless PP they have no semblance of a team game or direction it seems. Like how do you give up that many chances to the Danes? Just incredibly sloppy on everything from breakouts to zone coverage.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I agree with a lot of this but I'll play Devil's Advoacte and say if I'm judging by what's happened at WJC I don't think Jack Hughes is all that impressive of a prospect and you'll have to worry about how he'll hold up in the NHL playing against guys twice his size. If he's getting abused by kids his own size, imagine what'll happen in the future.

For the WJC, I think the ol' eyeball test carries more weight than a point total.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Yeah, that was a little overboard. I mean, the WJC and other tournaments should have their importance downplayed. It's essentially a week of hockey and shouldn't inform one way or another whether a guy will succeed or fail. And hell, if Zadina, Necas, and Kaut are the only good players on the roster and they're split up, that is a perfectly good reason why any of the three might not look amazing.

But people will always be overoptimistic before an event and overpessimistic after the event.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Yeah, that was a little overboard. I mean, the WJC and other tournaments should have their importance downplayed. It's essentially a week of hockey and shouldn't inform one way or another whether a guy will succeed or fail. And hell, if Zadina, Necas, and Kaut are the only good players on the roster and they're split up, that is a perfectly good reason why any of the three might not look amazing.

But people will always be overoptimistic before an event and overpessimistic after the event.
Kinda like Larks is the only good player on a team and looks bad? Oh he does not look bad you say???

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Kinda like Larks is the only good player on a team and looks bad? Oh he does not look bad you say???

Come off the aggressiveness man.

The Red Wings, as “bad” as they are still have NHL caliber players. Drop Larkin on the Griffins and have the actual Griffins play the full strength Maple Leafs. Tell me how Larkin would look in that game.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I watched all 4 games, nothing about his individual play concerned me. He's made a lot of great plays, he's definitely been the better player between him and 3 point Kaut, imo.

People who are looking at his point total and getting mad about his play in this tournament are worse than those watching the games and saying "you know what, he's playing better than his point totals indicate."

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I watched all 4 games, nothing about his individual play concerned me. He's made a lot of great plays, he's definitely been the better player between him and 3 point Kaut, imo.

People who are looking at his point total and getting mad about his play in this tournament are worse than those watching the games and saying "you know what, he's playing better than his point totals indicate."

I see how can start with that opinion and not be worried after these 4 games. It's a small sample size and there's no reason to blow it out of proportion.

But from my perspective, a perspective where the sum total of all games at all levels has me worried that he's not any good... I have also watched these 4 games and nothing about his play has encouraged me. And from my eyes, he is not playing better than his 1 assist indicates.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Come off the aggressiveness man.

The Red Wings, as “bad” as they are still have NHL caliber players. Drop Larkin on the Griffins and have the actual Griffins play the full strength Maple Leafs. Tell me how Larkin would look in that game.
I was aggressive? You said something and I asked a question about it. The Wings have AHL filler for a lot of the team and my point still holds true Larkin will still produce and does, Z on the other hand has shown nothing to support he will ever do that at the AHL level let alone NHL. I really really really hope I'm wrong. I think he will be a ok player just not what he was thought to be.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I was aggressive? You said something and I asked a question about it. The Wings have AHL filler for a lot of the team and my point still holds true Larkin will still produce and does, Z on the other hand has shown nothing to support he will ever do that at the AHL level let alone NHL. I really really really hope I'm wrong. I think he will be a ok player just not what he was thought to be.

Normally triple pronounciation marks lends to that idea. I apologize if I read into something that wasn't there.

And no, the Wings don't have AHL filler. Libor Sulak and Filip Hronek in the first couple weeks were AHL filler. They just have lesser NHL players.

You can hate guys like Ericsson and current Kronner and DDK and Daley, but they're all at least bottom pairing NHL guys. Larkin tends to play with other NHL players. Have Larkin play only 4th line minutes with Glendening and Frk as his linemates. He'd stop producing as well.

Also, Larkin is in his 4th year of NHL play. Zadina hasn't reached the halfway point of year one. Larkin sure didn't look like he'd be this good throughout all of year two. I've heard nothing super concerning about Zadina's play. If you thought he was worth a top 6 pick at the draft, you should still think he's worth that. I mean, Jack Hughes is getting muscled around in this tournament, but he's still gonna be the top draft pick when the selections happen next year.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Normally triple pronounciation marks lends to that idea. I apologize if I read into something that wasn't there.

And no, the Wings don't have AHL filler. Libor Sulak and Filip Hronek in the first couple weeks were AHL filler. They just have lesser NHL players.

You can hate guys like Ericsson and current Kronner and DDK and Daley, but they're all at least bottom pairing NHL guys. Larkin tends to play with other NHL players. Have Larkin play only 4th line minutes with Glendening and Frk as his linemates. He'd stop producing as well.

Also, Larkin is in his 4th year of NHL play. Zadina hasn't reached the halfway point of year one. Larkin sure didn't look like he'd be this good throughout all of year two. I've heard nothing super concerning about Zadina's play. If you thought he was worth a top 6 pick at the draft, you should still think he's worth that. I mean, Jack Hughes is getting muscled around in this tournament, but he's still gonna be the top draft pick when the selections happen next year.
I'm really not so much concerned about this WJ its him as a whole, dropping to us, getting pissed he dropped so low running off at the mouth about filling the net. It was a bad look and he set his own bar for our expectations, I thought we had a motivated little superstar. Maybe its just a adj period? Maybe like we have all discussed its just a confidence thing? Or maybe hes just not as good as we all thought and 5 other teams seen it? Was he a steal or where we fooled?

Can't really count year 2 for Larkin as the team as a whole was crap that year. I don't hate E or Kronwall or Daley, DDK is ok I was more referring to Frk, Abby, Witter, Rass, Ehn, Megan, Vanek this year.

Reactions: Lil Bert

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
(Re:Zadina)

I have liked his willingness to engage more defensively and his compete.

I also loved in the last game on the PP how when the goalie robbed him he didn’t look to the sky, he just asked for the puck and went right to the middle and drew defenders and threw a beauty to Necas to get on the board. Like ok, you robbed me but we are going to come right back and score anyways.

The one thing that is consistently apparent for me is he needs a good summer in the gym and to gain a step in his skating. He looks way more dangerous on the PP when he has time + space as opposed to Even Strength, so I think if he can up his skating he will be able become more dangerous 5 on 5 as well. That will be key for him to really unlock his potential, and I hope he is able to make some gains there. That would be my message to him if I was Detroit.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I really hope that Veleno can go back to Drummondville and continue to produce the way he was before the tournament and not take this back with him.

Disappointed that Zadina didn't produce in this tournament, no matter how poor his team or coaching was. He's supposed to be one of the best in the tournament and that certainly didn't look to be true. I'd like to see him get back to Grand Rapids and really work on his compete level (or conditioning, whichever is the real problem), and dedicate a summer to lower body explosiveness. Otherwise I don't see how he is an NHL regular next year. I saw too much in him at the WJC that also disappointed me in watching him during camp. Supposedly he is really dedicated to becoming better, so I hope that is true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->