Wings might stand pat at the deadline?!

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Unrelated, I think Jensen will be the first guy to get dealt. Probably in the next two weeks. I think a team needing to add depth to their bottom pair will make a good offer to ensure they aren’t hung out to dry at the TDL.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Unrelated, I think Jensen will be the first guy to get dealt. Probably in the next two weeks. I think a team needing to add depth to their bottom pair will make a good offer to ensure they aren’t hung out to dry at the TDL.
Interesting speculation...He's been very good for us this season, and you might be right.

That said - he's someone I wouldn't mind seeing Holland sign on for another 3, or 4 years.

Reactions: Filppula

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Have a feeling you're right, I know both Toronto and Tampa are still looking for RHD help would love if Jensen could return us a 2019 2nd+2020 3rd round pick from either club.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Interesting speculation...He's been very good for us this season, and you might be right.

That said - he's someone I wouldn't mind seeing Holland sign on for another 3, or 4 years.

I think Jensen would be dumb to re sign here without testing the free agent market first. I bet he could get 5 years from some team desperate for a righty on D. Especially because hes not that old yet

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
The number of forwards available this deadline is crazy. Nobody should be expecting a 1st round pick for Nyquist. We will see what happens with Duchene and Stone in Ottawa, as well as Panarin in Columbus. I doubt Melnyk is looking to throw big contracts at Duchene and Stone and Panarin has made his intentions to leave pretty clear. But even without those 3, you have Dzingel, Ferland, Hayes, Zuccarello, Simmonds, and Nyquist. 2 1st round picks have already been moved this year from contending teams. Good year to be a buyer

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I think Jensen would be dumb to re sign here without testing the free agent market first. I bet he could get 5 years from some team desperate for a righty on D. Especially because hes not that old yet
Agreed.

At 28 he still can find himself signing a 3 to 5 year deal for some impressive $$$.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The number of forwards available this deadline is crazy. Nobody should be expecting a 1st round pick for Nyquist. We will see what happens with Duchene and Stone in Ottawa, as well as Panarin in Columbus. I doubt Melnyk is looking to throw big contracts at Duchene and Stone and Panarin has made his intentions to leave pretty clear. But even without those 3, you have Dzingel, Ferland, Hayes, Zuccarello, Simmonds, and Nyquist. 2 1st round picks have already been moved this year from contending teams. Good year to be a buyer
Yeah the market is not looking great from a seller standpoint but that can change when the big fish are traded. My biggest concern is signing our impending UFAs to bad deals. We have a long history here so I'm not making this up. I wanted to trade Nyquist last year or this summer during the draft but we obviously waited for the last minute until the deadline. Did the same with Green last year.

The last thing I want is Nyquist and Howard eating up $10m+ in cap space with NMC for the next 3+ years.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Yeah the market is not looking great from a seller standpoint but that can change when the big fish are traded. My biggest concern is signing our impending UFAs to bad deals. We have a long history here so I'm not making this up. I wanted to trade Nyquist last year or this summer during the draft but we obviously waited for the last minute until the deadline. Did the same with Green last year.

The last thing I want is Nyquist and Howard eating up $10m+ in cap space with NMC for the next 3+ years.

It will unfortunately be more than 10 million, prepare to be extremely disappointed. We are in the middle of a rebuild, yet Holland is going to dish out 15 million bucks to keep Howard( $5.5M), Nyquist($6.5M) and Jensen($3M) lol. I almost threw up the other day when Holland mentioned he wants to resign the UFAs for a playoff push next year.

Steve Yzerman, come on down, you're the next contestant on the Price is Right!!!

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

How do you know people wanted Nyquist at those times? He had 40 points in 82 games last year, I doubt KH was just hanging up on people left and right.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
How do you know people wanted Nyquist at those times? He had 40 points in 82 games last year, I doubt KH was just hanging up on people left and right.

There are teams who want a guy with one year left on his contract, this just happened with Muzzin. Dubas said they liked having that year so they can get two playoffs with him. I am confident Holland didn't make any effort to shop Nyquist. Gus also has a NTC so there's that as well. Perhaps there's a market for Green? I'm sure Holland isn't trying since he has another year on his contact and oh yeah, Green has a NTC.

With the way the market is I am getting the sense that Holland is leaning towards resigning his UFAs. In the Athletic interview he didn't seem all that interested in stockpiling draft picks as he mentioned they drafted 20 guys over the last two drafts. He has made it clear his priority is simply to make the playoffs and if that is all you care about then I guess there's a case for signing your UFAs and allowing your recent draft picks to develop. You may be able to make the playoffs, the problem is you have one of the absolute worst defenses in the league and zero elite players. That sounds like a first round exit at best. Is anyone truly inspired by that as the franchise's ultimate goal?

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
I'd like to go on the record and predict Jensen gets a bigger return at the deadline than Nyquist (assuming both get dealt).

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Too many poster to quote them all but...
What do people expect Holland to do? Is he to come out to the media and say

"We're a crap team, we have no intention of trying to be competitive, I'll sell everyone for anything!"

That would send a GREAT message to UFAs we may try to entice into coming to Detroit.
That would send a GREAT message to Larkin, Bert, Cholo, Mantha, AA, Hronek, Ras, ect...
That would most definitely get fans to come back to LCA.
Merch sales would go through the roof!

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
There are teams who want a guy with one year left on his contract, this just happened with Muzzin. Dubas said they liked having that year so they can get two playoffs with him. I am confident Holland didn't make any effort to shop Nyquist. Gus also has a NTC so there's that as well. Perhaps there's a market for Green? I'm sure Holland isn't trying since he has another year on his contact and oh yeah, Green has a NTC.

With the way the market is I am getting the sense that Holland is leaning towards resigning his UFAs. In the Athletic interview he didn't seem all that interested in stockpiling draft picks as he mentioned they drafted 20 guys over the last two drafts. He has made it clear his priority is simply to make the playoffs and if that is all you care about then I guess there's a case for signing your UFAs and allowing your recent draft picks to develop. You may be able to make the playoffs, the problem is you have one of the absolute worst defenses in the league and zero elite players. That sounds like a first round exit at best. Is anyone truly inspired by that as the franchise's ultimate goal?

First Bold: You cannot compare a top 2/top 4 D-man to Nyquist. If Larsson for Hall taught us anything, its that D-men have so much more value then wingers.

Second Bold: You're simply making a guess based on your bias

Third Bold: I think actions speak louder then words, and since the streak ended, everything Holland has done has been about the development of the kids, and stockpiling draft picks. If all he cares about is making the playoffs, the Tatar trade does not happen.

I get it, you can't stand Holland, but try to look at things without bias. Guy has made plenty of mistakes in the past, but since the streak ended, he has traded Smith, Jurco, Vanek, Ott, Sheahan, Mrazek, Wilson, and Tatar, and he tried to trade Green who unfortunately had a season ending injury last year.

Holland does not want to go full tank, that is true. He signs/keeps vets (ie. Vanek/Green) so they can help the kids develop. You are making it sound as if he's currently trying to make the playoffs, he's not. Anything to the contrary is bias that was established in the post Lidstrom era.

Look at all the impending UFA's out there. 99% of them have not been moved since the season started, and there is a reason for that, the market simply isnt there yet for so many reasons that have been laid out in this very thread. Top players can typically be traded any time (ie. Muzzin), second tier players (like Nyquist) usually dont get traded until the top tier players go first, because nobody wants to settle a month out.

If those guys are not traded by the TDL, I get it, be upset. But at this point, there is nothing to be mad about.

Reactions: jkutswings

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
At this trade deadline, Forward and Defencemen market are totally from different planet.

Theres no good UFA defencemen available, and if you want a GOOD one, you have to trade for a guy with term left (Muzzin, Faulk etc. rumors).

But there's lot of UFA wingers and their prices could be pretty low, because there's less demand than there's supply.

Like, best UFA defencemen are Adam McQuaid, Kronwall, Ben Lovejoy and Nick Jensen.

But there's forwards like Duchene, Stone, Simmonds, Hayes, Silfverberg, Nyquist....

I think Daley could be our best valued trade bait, because the NTC dsappears 10 days before trade deadline, and if we retent 50%, he becomes very valuable depth guy with on 1.6M caphit, and has another season left.

Also Jensen could be hot commodity.

Reactions: kliq

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
At this trade deadline, Forward and Defencemen market are totally from different planet.

Theres no good UFA defencemen available, and if you want a GOOD one, you have to trade for a guy with term left (Muzzin, Faulk etc. rumors).

But there's lot of UFA wingers and their prices could be pretty low, because there's less demand than there's supply.

Like, best UFA defencemen are Adam McQuaid, Kronwall, Ben Lovejoy and Nick Jensen.

But there's forwards like Duchene, Stone, Simmonds, Hayes, Silfverberg, Nyquist....

I think Daley could be our best valued trade bait, because the NTC dsappears 10 days before trade deadline, and if we retent 50%, he becomes very valuable depth guy with on 1.6M caphit, and has another season left.

Detroit should be shopping Nyquist, Jensen, Kronwall, Green, Daley, AA, and LGD.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Detroit should be shopping Nyquist, Jensen, Kronwall, Green, Daley, AA, and LGD.

I highly doubt Green accepts a trade this year, next year is more likely the year to trade him as his NTC expires just before the TDL.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I highly doubt Green accepts a trade this year, next year is more likely the year to trade him as his NTC expires just before the TDL.
Green wouldn't turn down a trade to Tampa or Washington this season, especially considering he basically agreed to go to those two teams last season.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Green wouldn't turn down a trade to Tampa or Washington this season, especially considering he basically agreed to go to those two teams last season.

Not that it would happen, but I wonder what kind of return we could get for Green with retention on salary.
Tampa may still be looking for RD, no? There 1st round pick in 2019 is out of play. I assume Holland would want the Moon and Stars though as Green holds so much value on our blueline. If we put Green in play for those two teams with retention maybe we could snake a Tatar level deal?!

Interesting thought but unrealistic.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

Agreed. Daley and Jensen should both be moved. We need to make for Hronek full time here.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Agreed. Daley and Jensen should both be moved. We need to make for Hronek full time here.

Hronek needs to be good enough that he gives them no choice.

But no, they do not need to trade both of them. Not to make room anyway. If Hronek can’t consistently beat out Nick ****ing Jensen for ice time, maybe he’s not as good as he’s made to be.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Hronek needs to be good enough that he gives them no choice.

But no, they do not need to trade both of them. Not to make room anyway. If Hronek can’t consistently beat out Nick ****ing Jensen for ice time, maybe he’s not as good as he’s made to be.

Many times this season no one had more ice time than Jensen, so I'm not sure that's a great qualification.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Would be nice to have three righties. Jensen traded or not, I'd like him back next year.

But Daley is not needed anymore. Hronek is good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad