Wings might stand pat at the deadline?!

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
I doubt it. I mean Howard would have a new deal by now if we werent at least considering trading him.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
In an interview with the Athletic, Holland was definitely posturing as far as saying he wouldn't make trades if the deals weren't good enough. On the one hand that should be obvious but on the other he was talking about signing his own UFAs if there was no trade market for them which is 1000% Holland. :facepalm:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
We have to let this play out. If the offers for Jensen, Howard and Nyquist are underwhelming there isn't much Holland can do about it. The potential details of a contract matter more than a contract. ie. if they are all short term deals, I don't see much of a problem.

We are definitely a worse team if all 3 walk without being replaced anyway.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
We have to let this play out. If the offers for Jensen, Howard and Nyquist are underwhelming there isn't much Holland can do about it. The potential details of a contract matter more than a contract. ie. if they are all short term deals, I don't see much of a problem.

We are definitely a worse team if all 3 walk without being replaced anyway.
Depends on what is considered underwhelming or not. I for one would take a 2nd + for Nyquist very happily instead of re-signing him. Does Holland think a 2nd is underwhelming? What about Jensen? Just let him walk for nothing? Maybe re-sign him too? Does that leave room for Hronek next year? If I were Holland, I would try and find a way to trade these guys at all cost except for Howard. I wouldn't mind Howard being signed on a short term deal since we have nobody else.

Reactions: Oddbob

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Depends on what is considered underwhelming or not. I for one would take a 2nd + for Nyquist very happily instead of re-signing him. Does Holland think a 2nd is underwhelming? What about Jensen? Just let him walk for nothing? Maybe re-sign him too? Does that leave room for Hronek next year? If I were Holland, I would try and find a way to trade these guys at all cost except for Howard. I wouldn't mind Howard being signed on a short term deal since we have nobody else.

It's totally fair to suggest different thresholds for acceptable value.

I also think your post does a good job of raising another point; the fluidity of the situation. Realistically with pieces like our 3 notable UFAs and other assets (like AA) there really is a lot of different directions Holland can take this team at the Deadline. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

While I’m not adamant about all 3 getting moved I would be very disappointed if none of the UFAs get traded.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Who is the "Detroit Sports News"? Are they reputable? I have never heard of them.

The other day I was watching TSN, and what came across the ticker was "Red Wings open for Business as trade deadline approaches".

When I see a report (if you can even call it that) like this, I cant help but think this is a site trying to manipulate people into clicking.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Who is the "Detroit Sports News"? Are they reputable? I have never heard of them.

The other day I was watching TSN, and what came across the ticker was "Red Wings open for Business as trade deadline approaches".

When I see a report (if you can even call it that) like this, I cant help but think this is a site trying to manipulate people into clicking.
lol it's the Detroit News and yes they are reputable

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
lol it's the Detroit News and yes they are reputable

I dont live in Detroit, I live in Windsor so other then the Detroit Free Press I don't know of what in Detroit is reliable vs unreliable.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
In the end the Red Wings will indeed stay pat because an angry mob of hfboards-users have abducted Holland on the ides of February... But I get it, "told you so" needs timely preparation.

Gruß,
BSHH

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Y'all are still falling for this? Come on. Kenny stumps like this every year. If we're in the playoffs, he's telling everyone and their brother that "we like our team - we probably won't make much more than a depth move." Now that we're out of it, its "our priority is to re-sign our UFAs."

Clearly, the prices aren't there right now, which isn't surprising. None of Howard, Nyquist, or Jensen are the top haul for playoff teams and with the tight standings, some GMs are probably still deciding if they're going to be buyers at all. Just hold tight for now.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
The one possibility I see for this to be true is that Kenny knows both Kronwall and Howard are retiring, thus freeing up some cap space for replacements who will play like superstars for the exact same price. Meanwhile, he's decided to keep Nyquist, Witkowski and Jensen?

I don't quite see "playoffs" written all over that possibility, but then again, I haven't seen Steve here as GM yet! Or a new coach.

The better possibility is that Kenny is saying I would rather let these guys walk than accept the horrible offers I have right now.

Last edited:

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
If someone offered me two scenarios, one where Nyquist is traded for a 2nd round pick or Nyquist is given an extension with Detroit, i take the 2nd round pick every single time.

Extending Nyquist would be so dumb, that i fully expect it to end up happening. Especially if Kenny seriously thinks this roster can make the playoffs next year. (Spoiler alert) They have no shot in hell of making the playoffs next year.

Jimmy Howard and is 2.76 GAA/.916 S% is never going to get Detroit a first round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->