Wings might stand pat at the deadline?!

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Green wouldn't turn down a trade to Tampa or Washington this season, especially considering he basically agreed to go to those two teams last season.

I see where you are coming from, but I dont think its so black and white. First off, those teams need to want him this year. Its a bit more complicated when a player has a year left opposed to an expiring contract. Plus, Green willingly signed here in the offseason. What that tells me is the guy (or his family) like living in the Detroit area, so I'm not too sure he is willing to move mid contract.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Many times this season no one had more ice time than Jensen, so I'm not sure that's a great qualification.

Touche.

But basically the point was that Hronek should be a good enough player that he just sticks. You shouldn't have to move out two defensemen to get him ice time. If you deal multiple defensemen, it needs to be because you are getting a great return for them. The fact that Hronek would be guaranteed an NHL spot should not be a consideration in wanting to move those guys.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Hronek needs to be good enough that he gives them no choice.

But no, they do not need to trade both of them. Not to make room anyway. If Hronek can’t consistently beat out Nick ****ing Jensen for ice time, maybe he’s not as good as he’s made to be.

If you have watched Hronek lately in Detroit you would realize he is easily good enough.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I see where you are coming from, but I dont think its so black and white. First off, those teams need to want him this year. Its a bit more complicated when a player has a year left opposed to an expiring contract. Plus, Green willingly signed here in the offseason. What that tells me is the guy (or his family) like living in the Detroit area, so I'm not too sure he is willing to move mid contract.

His two options are:

1. Go to a contender of your choice this season
2. Have no control and risk going to a bubble playoff team at the deadline next season

What looks more attractive?

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
His two options are:

1. Got to a contender of your choice this season
2. Have no control and risk going to a bubble playoff team at the deadline next season

No control is a bit of a stretch. He could structure his 10 team list in such a way that trading him is very difficult.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Seriously though, if Holland wants to make a splash in the off season the scary, and to me the most likely version goes like this:

1. Make a huge offer for Karlsson. EK doesn't accept.
2. Panic.
3. Panic sign Gardiner to a contract he can never live up to.
4. Use the rest of the space to sign someone like Stone or Duchene
5. Barely make the playoffs next season

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
His two options are:

1. Go to a contender of your choice this season

I think you are looking at it from your own perspective. We're not Green, so we really cant say for sure. It depends on what his motivations are.

If he simply wants to win a cup, then yes #1 is the obvious choice.

If he wants to live in a city with his family, and wants to have stability in his life, then #2 makes more sense. Being traded next year, he could always be traded in February, then re-sign with Detroit in July. He's only really away from his family for a few months. If he gets traded now, the whole family is either moving (assuming he has kids/wife), or he leaves for a year and a few months.

It all depends on what is important to Mike Green right now.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
First Bold: You cannot compare a top 2/top 4 D-man to Nyquist. If Larsson for Hall taught us anything, its that D-men have so much more value then wingers.
LOL, Tatar had plenty of term when he was traded.

Second Bold: You're simply making a guess based on your bias
Can you supply any article from last TDL that indicated Nyquist was in play last year? When the organization wants to move guys it generally gets reported by reputable sources.

Third Bold: I think actions speak louder then words, and since the streak ended, everything Holland has done has been about the development of the kids, and stockpiling draft picks. If all he cares about is making the playoffs, the Tatar trade does not happen.
Holland has said at the beginning of every season how great it would be to have playoff hockey at LCA. It's only when the team is clearly out of playoff contention that he has made trades. It's perfectly clear if you look at when he makes trades,; it only happens after the Red Wings are out of they playoff race and never during the offseason. He doesn't seem all that interested in making trades this year. There were very strong rumors on Vanek, Smith, Mrazek and Tatar in advance of them being traded. There's no real smoke on any trade talks. Yes, it is still early but we'll see how it goes.

You are making it sound as if he's currently trying to make the playoffs, he's not. Anything to the contrary is bias that was established in the post Lidstrom era.
Holland has tried to position the team to make the playoffs every single year. It's why we have one of the highest payrolls in the league despite being one of the worst teams. It's why he's only made trades when we are clearly out of contention for a playoff spot. Here's a direct quote from the Athletic in an interview that was published on Jan 28:

When you look timeline wise, when do you see this team pushing for a playoff spot again?
Well, I guess I would say I hope next year.

Groundhog day, he says this every single year before reality sets in. He's been saying it prior to every season since the playoff streak ended. I honestly don't care what you think about my approach to being a Red Wings fan. I have been critical of Holland but not unreasonable.

Reactions: WingedWheel1987

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
LOL, Tatar had plenty of term when he was traded.

Yes, exactly, that is my point. The Tatar trade shows that he is in re-build mode. You don't trade a player with term left for picks when you are in win now mode. I'm not sure what your point is here.

Can you supply any article from last TDL that indicated Nyquist was in play last year? When the organization wants to move guys it generally gets reported by reputable sources.

I never said he was or wasn't. You are the one saying definitely that Holland didn't attempt to trade Nyquist. My point to you is that you are guessing, which you are. I admit that I dont know. Given that he traded Tatar though, common sense would tell me that both Tatar and Nyquist for likely available

Holland has said at the beginning of every season how great it would be to have playoff hockey at LCA. It's only when the team is clearly out of playoff contention that he has made trades. It's perfectly clear if you look at when he makes trades,; it only happens after the Red Wings are out of they playoff race and never during the offseason. He doesn't seem all that interested in making trades this year. There were very strong rumors on Vanek, Smith, Mrazek and Tatar in advance of them being traded. There's no real smoke on any trade talks. Yes, it is still early but we'll see how it goes.

Again I'm not sure what your point is, isn't this the case with every team in NHL history? If you are asking me if I think Holland would ship everyone out if this team all of a sudden sky rocketed to the top of the standing, then yes I admit he likely wouldn't trade everyone. Look at Las Vegas last year, their intention going into the season was to sell at the TDL, then when they were a top seed, they became buyers. That's hockey. Again, I get your anger, prior to the streak ending everything you are saying is what happened. Holland and co. did everything they could to keep this team in the playoff picture, you will get no argument from me. I hated the Abby deal, Helm deal, and Nielsen deal. But since the streak ended, every single action (not words) from Holland have been that of a team re-building. Its been filled with trades for picks, and short term deals. I would be shocked if Holland doesnt sell this year.

Holland has tried to position the team to make the playoffs every single year. It's why we have one of the highest payrolls in the league despite being one of the worst teams. It's why he's only made trades when we are clearly out of contention for a playoff spot.

Again, prior to the streak ending I agree. The high payroll of 2019 is directly linked to the contracts signed prior to the end of the streak. I am not debating that he did that in 2012-2016. At this point he is re-building, you have to stop letting a 4 year period influence you as much as it does, though I feel my points are just going to be met by deaf ears.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Both guys were being shopped last year in terms of Tatar and Nyquist.

That's why the Red Wings are likely to try to move Nyquist before next year's trade deadline. A source confirmed the club will try to deal Nyquist or Tomas Tatar before this year's deadline (Feb. 26).

No-trade clause gives Red Wings' Gustav Nyquist control

I think the return for Tatar was better last year and helped free up some cap room as well. It made sense to deal him first. But both guys had their names out from Christmas to the deadline last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad