Wings might stand pat at the deadline?!

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I'm telling you this right now! Nyquist isn't going from 40 point seasons to suddenly having maybe a 65-70 point season just to get another big contract from Detroit. If he had a 25-30 point season, he could have another big contract from Holland tomorrow, no need for extra effort. Nope! Nyquist is trying to attract the interest of playoff teams. He wants to be traded.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I'm telling you this right now! Nyquist isn't going from 40 point seasons to suddenly having maybe a 65-70 point season just to get another big contract from Detroit. If he had a 25-30 point season, he could have another big contract from Holland tomorrow, no need for extra effort. Nope! Nyquist is trying to attract the interest of playoff teams. He wants to be traded.
Don't buy this. I think his sole motivation is to make as much money as possible on his new contract. Hence his improved play, period.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Ultimately, there's no point losing sleep over this. What Kenny has said at this point of the last two seasons has been much the same...

Reactions: jkutswings

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
If someone offered me two scenarios, one where Nyquist is traded for a 2nd round pick or Nyquist is given an extension with Detroit, i take the 2nd round pick every single time.

Extending Nyquist would be so dumb, that i fully expect it to end up happening. Especially if Kenny seriously thinks this roster can make the playoffs next year. (Spoiler alert) They have no shot in hell of making the playoffs next year.

Jimmy Howard and is 2.76 GAA/.916 S% is never going to get Detroit a first round pick.

Ill assume from this comment that you are just ignorant to how goalies are performing this year. A 2.76 GAA/91.6 S% in 2019 (especially on a team with as bad of a defense as Detroit) is not bad at all.

If you look at some of the top goalies in the league, here are their GAA/S%:

Vasilevskiy - 2.50 - 92.5
Fleury - 2.49 - 91.1
Rinne - 2.47 - 91.5
Price - 2.56 - 91.5
Gibson - 2.74 - 91.9
Bobrovsky - 2.91 - 90.4
Bishop - 2.37 - 92.1

If a top team has their goalie go down, I think Howard can easily get a 1st round pick. If no team needs a starter, he's not worth close to that. With goalies its very situational.
His stats though are NOT a reason why he wont get a 1st.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Ill assume from this comment that you are just ignorant to how goalies are performing this year. A 2.76 GAA/91.6 S% in 2019 (especially on a team with as bad of a defense as Detroit) is not bad at all.

If you look at some of the top goalies in the league, here are their GAA/S%:

Vasilevskiy - 2.50 - 92.5
Fleury - 2.49 - 91.1
Rinne - 2.47 - 91.5
Price - 2.56 - 91.5
Gibson - 2.74 - 91.9
Bobrovsky - 2.91 - 90.4
Bishop - 2.37 - 92.1

If a top team has their goalie go down, I think Howard can easily get a 1st round pick. If no team needs a starter, he's not worth close to that. With goalies its very situational.
His stats though are NOT a reason why he wont get a 1st.
His inability to make clutch saves, hold 3rd period leads and lose multiple 3-1 playoff series leads is what most likely won't get us a 1st.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
His inability to make clutch saves, hold 3rd period leads and lose multiple 3-1 playoff series leads is what most likely won't get us a 1st.

Considering he plays behind the worst D in the NHL, I dont think that will be stumbling block you think. I dont think any goalie would look great on this team right now.

Reactions: Oddbob

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Considering he plays behind the worst D in the NHL, I dont think that will be stumbling block you think. I dont think any goalie would look great on this team right now.

This season?
That's his entire career.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Let’s relax. It just means if teams aren’t making decent offers, he’s not going to ship everyone out just for the sake of it, which is perfectly reasonable. An extra 3rd round pick isn’t going to be the difference in this rebuild.

Reactions: jkutswings

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
This season?
That's his entire career.

Agreed, he's played in front of a horrible defense for the majority of his career. Maybe you can say he was the reason his first 3 years, but the last 7 (since Lidstrom retired) he's played behind a very weak D.

I'm not saying the guy is a Vezina candidate, but if a team like say Pittsburgh loses Murray for the season, or a team like the Leafs loose Anderson for the season, I definitely think Howard is worth their 1st.

Reactions: Oddbob
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
If Holland doesn't trade Nyquist and then can't re-sign him, he should be... well, you know.

I can see it now. He's going to tell us all that there wasn't any demand for Nyquist. But Holland holds his trade chips until the last possible moment because he's always trying to squeak a few more points out, even when he's rebuilding. If he were willing to move guys during the summer or earlier in the year, or even the year before, the demand might have been there.

Reactions: taliababa

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I think Nyquist and Jensen go for a 2nd each.

If Holland wants to re-sign them, he can.

Enough cap space.

(I'd want the ownership to prevent him from making moves, but I digress)

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
If Holland doesn't trade Nyquist and then can't re-sign him, he should be... well, you know.

I can see it now. He's going to tell us all that there wasn't any demand for Nyquist. But Holland holds his trade chips until the last possible moment because he's always trying to squeak a few more points out, even when he's rebuilding. If he were willing to move guys during the summer or earlier in the year, or even the year before, the demand might have been there.

Are you saying this as a negative? Since the streak ended and the re-build officially started, his return at the TDL has been awesome. We got way more for Tatar and Smith then we ever should have, would you prefer him to take the first deal that comes his way?

Or is this just another tongue in cheek comment?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Don't worry, Holland is also happy with Blash, and sound like he wants to extend him:

Let me say this: I think Blash has done a great job

I think he’s done a good job. And I’ll sit down with him at some point in time here over the next little while and have a conversation with him. But certainly, I think that, again, I think he’s been a big factor. He plays our young players, they play in important situations, the team plays hard. I think he’s done a really good job

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Its funny when I read the same article, and see Holland as exactly same seller as he was before I did read this article.

There was no news, what we already didn't know on this board.

Wings will stand pat on the deadline, yeah, if nobody makes an offer about our players. That's the ultimate fact and truth.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Are you saying this as a negative? Since the streak ended and the re-build officially started, his return at the TDL has been awesome. We got way more for Tatar and Smith then we ever should have, would you prefer him to take the first deal that comes his way?

Or is this just another tongue in cheek comment?
I'm talking about beyond the TDL. He could move more veterans if he started earlier in the year, but doesn't because he wants to have a stronger NHL roster right now. I don't agree with that.

For instance, I think a proactive GM would tell themselves: look, I don't want to get myself in a position where I must move Nyquist at the deadline or he'll walk as a UFA for nothing. So let's see if we can move him before then. Essentially, I think Holland puts himself in an awful lot of situations where he could lose a lot if the player decides to walk, and he bets on himself because he thinks he's cultivated a relationship with the player. That's a dangerous gameplan, especially when you're rebuilding.

And that's what I meant in my other post where I talked about the Wings kind of flying by the seat of their pants instead of sticking to a plan. It could all go wrong if negotiations go south, and yet the Wings are comfortable with that. I don't like it. I think it's reckless and a bad asset management strategy.

Last edited:
Reactions: taliababa

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I'm just going to assume this is posturing on the front office's behalf

Why would the team publicly state something like "we need to move out our expiring contracts" realistically?

-Guys like Nyquist, Jensen, Howard are probably playing at a lesser focus level after something like that is said
-Other GMs are going to come into negotiations with "well you said you were going to move these guys out..." mentality and have their rhetoric and leverage all tee'd up
-Showing your hand is generally bad practice in GMing, IMO

I don't like the sound of this as much as anyone else in this thread, but until the TDL passes we can't overworry about what type of PR spin is coming out in local papers

Reactions: Frk It and Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Don't worry, Holland is also happy with Blash, and sound like he wants to extend him:

I've been a critic of Blash, but he's deserving some credit. Ultimately it's on the players, but under his watch Larkin has evolved into a 1st line center, Athanasiou has steadily improved his game, Jensen has matured, Mantha's shown progress despite occasional setbacks (including injuries), and he hasn't really shied from playing Cholowski. Pretty much all of the guys we said needed to be better coming into this season have been better.

Reactions: waltdetroit

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I'm talking about beyond the TDL. He could move more veterans if he started earlier in the year, but doesn't because he wants to have a stronger NHL roster right now. I don't agree with that.

For instance, I think a proactive GM would tell themselves: look, I don't want to get myself in a position where I must move Nyquist at the deadline or he'll walk as a UFA for nothing. So let's see if we can move him before then. Essentially, I think Holland puts himself in an awful lot of situations where he could lose a lot if the player decides to walk, and he bets on himself because he thinks he's cultivated a relationship with the player. That's a dangerous gameplan, especially when you're rebuilding.

And that's what I meant in my other post where I talked about the Wings kind of flying by the seat of their pants instead of sticking to a plan. It could all go wrong if negotiations go south, and yet the Wings are comfortable with that. I don't like it. I think it's reckless and a bad asset management strategy.

I see the argument you are putting forth, but with all do respect you are reaching.

If Holland moves Nyquist now he likely has to settle for less then what he gets at the TDL, its just the reality of the situation. As the TDL approaches, teams have their 1st choice, 2nd choice, 3rd choice etc. I highly doubt Nyquist is anyone's "1st choice", so once the top guys are gone, then a guy like Nyquist begins to garner attention, and that's when you can play teams off each other and maximize your return just like we did last year and the year before. Now if you have the best player on the market, maybe a different story. The only argument IMO to moving someone now, is that there is always the risk of the player getting hurt (ie. Green last year), but I dont like the idea of a GM playing scared, and taking less "just in case".

I've heard the narrative of "be proactive, not reactive!" but this isn't a video game where you can make a trade with any team at anytime, and that's not a shot at you, this is something I read all the time about many GM's. With all that said, if a team out there offers something substantial, of course Holland should listen, but if they arent calling yet, his best bet is to wait, there is nothing that kills leverage more then desperation.

Wings have a plan, you may not like it and that is cool. But since the streak ended, its been pretty obvious. Sign vets, have vets help the kids, trade pending UFA's (and Tatar) at TDL, draft top 10, repeat. Its a re-build. They clearly arent going full tank, but they are re-building.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Don't buy this. I think his sole motivation is to make as much money as possible on his new contract. Hence his improved play, period.

His improved play is due to playing with Larkin and seemingly playing comfortable hockey.

He’s always been pretty much a 50P player. Not surprised he can elevate his play by 15-20P based on his previous seasons. He’s had a lot of bad luck his recent years, but of course people have to overreact and find someone or something to blame.

But, it’s also okay for AA to clamor for more money and absolutely get no ridiculous backlash from you, correct? Truly is baffling to say the least that you’d rather see a one demensional player get more money while someone who creates more offense get less.

I genuinely hope Nyquist is re-signed instead of being traded for garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad