Wings might stand pat at the deadline?!

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
When you have guys that you are holding out for the best value, you need the highest amount of eyes looking. The Wings want several teams in on their players. Creativity only takes you so far when there are caveats with all of your best assets (no injury to starters, Howard has a small market. Injury to starter, Howard becomes a big piece, for instance). It is not being fair to harp on Holland not hard-selling his guys earlier than the TDL. The pieces the Wings have to deal right now are almost all pure rentals.
You misunderstand. I'm not upset that Detroit hasn't already traded anybody during this season in particular. If there's no deal to be had yet, then keep looking for one. I just think their overall track record is a tad passive for my taste.

If they find a last second deal that fetches an awesome return, that's all that matters. I just want them to exhaust all options to not miss out on any opportunities.

Reactions: hkydave04

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
We already have 10 picks for the draft so it's not like it would be a crazy proposition to stand pat or make minimal moves. Unless good offers are out there we don't need to be desperate about moving anyone.
10 picks, but only one in the first round. They can have 31 picks, if they are all 7th rounders then it really doesn’t matter that much. This season is a lost season. The best possible outcome is Detroit gets as many picks as possible from trading role players and from areas of strength. Anything short of making major moves prior to the draft and securing more picks/prospects, will make this season an abject failure.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
10 picks, but only one in the first round. They can have 31 picks, if they are all 7th rounders then it really doesn’t matter that much. This season is a lost season. The best possible outcome is Detroit gets as many picks as possible from trading role players and from areas of strength. Anything short of making major moves prior to the draft and securing more picks/prospects, will make this season an abject failure.

Abject failure? No. the season isn't an abject failure. The Wings have continued to get good development out of several of their young pieces and have even shown when the whole roster is full that they can fight and be in a game against anyone. They can look to potentially swap some of those 10 picks to go up in rounds. It would be an abject failure if Larkin went back to his sophomore slump play. If Bertuzzi hit a wall with the force of a thousand suns. If the Wings had Kronner who is likely to be gone at the end of this year be their top D in a turn back the clock kind of year.

The Wings have done plenty well this year to prevent it from being a failure.

Reactions: kliq

sureWhyNot

Jan 24, 2012
Chicago
Holland squandered any “leverage” he had the past couple years by giving marginal players cringe worthy contracts.

Gus is Fillipula, Howard is Osgood (minus the all world defense in front of him), Hickets - jeez, I don’t even know, maybe a incredibly bad bootleg version of Rafalski post back injury.

Holland lost me years ago - so until Yzerman comes home I’m going to expect nothing but the worst from him.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Abject failure? No. the season isn't an abject failure. The Wings have continued to get good development out of several of their young pieces and have even shown when the whole roster is full that they can fight and be in a game against anyone. They can look to potentially swap some of those 10 picks to go up in rounds. It would be an abject failure if Larkin went back to his sophomore slump play. If Bertuzzi hit a wall with the force of a thousand suns. If the Wings had Kronner who is likely to be gone at the end of this year be their top D in a turn back the clock kind of year.

The Wings have done plenty well this year to prevent it from being a failure.

I'd ask you to look at any number of rebuilding teams, one/two players doing well, and a few developing isn't some major coup. Larkin has been great. He's not McDavid, Eichel, or any other top line center that couldn't lead a team out of the wilderness on his own.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I'd ask you to look at any number of rebuilding teams, one/two players doing well, and a few developing isn't some major coup. Larkin has been great. He's not McDavid, Eichel, or any other top line center that couldn't lead a team out of the wilderness on his own.

Did I say it was a major coup or some rousing success?

I'm just saying that the season hasn't been without value. Many on this board need to move past this whole binary thing about playoffs and contender = success, anything else = failure.

Larkin has been fantastic and now looks certain to be a top line C or an awesome 2C when you get a Hughes or Lafreniere.
Bertuzzi looks like a top 6 forward
Cholowski and Hronek look like they're going to at least be top 4Ds.

An abject failure would be this roster but instead of Rasmussen, you have Dan Cleary. Instead of Larkin taking a step forward to be the star, you have old man Zetterberg and Larkin is on a 35 point pace. Instead of AA pressing 30, you have a Damien Brunner or Mikael Samuelsson type. This team has made a concerted effort to play younger players and the standings are reflecting that.

I mean, the Toronto Maple Leafs, an organization that everyone wants to laud and say that they're doing it right, have won as many playoff series since 2014 as Detroit has. And their time not capped out is at its end. The Leafs have massive troubles on their back end and not a ton of flexibility to improve them. It remains to be seen what Muzzin does for them, but I guess I'm just saying they aren't a well-oiled machine or even a lock to be a continuous contender yet. Let's see what they do when Matthews and Marner and Rielly have to get their money. What they have to move out. Let the Leafs do something of note in the postseason before you throw laurels at their feet.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
As far as being a fan of the sport, I really want the team to make headlines by performing highway robbery with the likes of Nyquist, Howard, Vanek, and Jensen. However, I am also a red wings fan and I have cheered for these guys, Nyquist and Howard especially, for quite some time.

I was stoked last year when we traded Tats and got amazing return, but I was still sad to see him go. Look at him now.

And just like last year, I will be excited and sad if Nyquist and Howard get traded for amazing return. I get the sentiment of the team being one, or two years away from making the playoffs, but that is a big gamble.

The saying: "I would rather have a dollar today then two tomorrow" works both ways here. Trade them away and get question marks or "spins of the wheel" as the Brass likes to say, or hold on to known commodities and try to bring in the pieces identified as being right.

Thank Gordie I dont have to make these decisions!

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I mean, just imagine that we entered the TDL with the standard 7 picks and made moves to end up with 10. I'm sure that you would at least muster up a little bit of positivity in that scenario. Holland's proactivity in making moves that set us up for this draft a long time ago means he can enter this TDL with less desperation. Getting a top 5 pick and having two 2nd rounders would make for another strong haul in this draft. Anything beyond that is just icing on the cake imo.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I mean, just imagine that we entered the TDL with the standard 7 picks and made moves to end up with 10. I'm sure that you would at least muster up a little bit of positivity in that scenario. Holland's proactivity in making moves that set us up for this draft a long time ago means he can enter this TDL with less desperation. Getting a top 5 pick and having two 2nd rounders would make for another strong haul in this draft. Anything beyond that is just icing on the cake imo.

And I mean, Detroit has a ton of players who are movable, and imagine instead of getting 0 picks, they get 2-3. Realistically, they need 1sts,2 2nds are all well and good, but, those picks tend to take longer to develop, if they ever develop Detroit needs as many high percentage bites at the apple as possible, and given there is 0 chance of this team making playoffs, they should be doing what they can to maximize their future.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
If someone offered me two scenarios, one where Nyquist is traded for a 2nd round pick or Nyquist is given an extension with Detroit, i take the 2nd round pick every single time.

Extending Nyquist would be so dumb, that i fully expect it to end up happening. Especially if Kenny seriously thinks this roster can make the playoffs next year. (Spoiler alert) They have no shot in hell of making the playoffs next year.

Jimmy Howard and is 2.76 GAA/.916 S% is never going to get Detroit a first round pick.
This.

Holland needs to make some moves in order to acquire as many draft picks as he can.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
By career 40 point winger you must mean a guy who has averaged 50 points/82 games played.

Does that really matter, though? Whether its 40 or 50, that's not a good investment at $5-6M for 4+ years. Even if he manages to stay a 60+ point forward for a couple more years, at his age, he still probably reverts back to being a 40-ish guy making $5M+ by the time Mantha, Cholo, Hronek, AA, Zadina, Veleno, Bert, and/or 2019 First Rounder need new deals and we're ready to legitimately compete.

I don't really buy his performance is anything other than it is contract time. He was a largely invisible most nights 20 goal 40 point guy 2 seasons in a row, and now magically at contract time, he is having a career season like oh so many UFA's in league history. If he comes back, you know it will be at least a 6X6 with full NTC, and almost guaranteed he goes back to the Nyquist we have been used to. I personally like him, and would love if he stayed and played at a 65+ pt pace, but I just can't see it. All in all, we haven't won with him, so time to move on.

I'm not sure how people can have this opinion while watching him play this year. Its not like he's the same player who is just trying that much harder. He is a different player alongside Larkin and Larkin plays a style distinct from Zetterberg's deliberate possession style. An uptempo transition game has always suited him - that's the way he ran his rookie campaign and much of his sophomore year with Franzen - and that's what he gets with Larkin. Why absolutely attribute that to it being a contract year when it could just as easily be explained by the switch in centerman/team style?

Also, its not like Nyquist is simply having a better year. He's on pace for a 29 point increase over last year. Do you really think a 70% increase in production is simply attributable to him being motivated by a new contract? And if he were capable of 65-70 points on the regular, don't you think he'd at least have kicked it up a notch to 50-ish points last year, considering he could've had a new contract in hand by July of 2018?

:laugh: Holland is seriously delusional if he thinks this team is a playoff team, Makes absolutely no sense to stand pat. Hopefully this is just posturing on his part. We need to move all UFA's and hopefully any one that doesn't have a future in the organization. Heard Holland is willing to move any one that's not part of the Wings future core.

Meh. Saying you have playoff aspirations next year is what the players, the fans, and prospective free agents all want to hear.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
It would be absurd for Holland not to get something for Nyquist. He isn't important to the future and isn't important to the present. Get what you can get for him and move on as he was part of a failed re-build on the fly plan.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
And I mean, Detroit has a ton of players who are movable, and imagine instead of getting 0 picks, they get 2-3. Realistically, they need 1sts,2 2nds are all well and good, but, those picks tend to take longer to develop, if they ever develop Detroit needs as many high percentage bites at the apple as possible, and given there is 0 chance of this team making playoffs, they should be doing what they can to maximize their future.
Yeah which is why we shouldn't be desperate to sell if we can't get 1st round picks. If we are offered 1sts, I doubt Holland stands pat.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
trading nyquist is the best asset management. then sign this year nyquist in FA or other FA or next year. he should be sold no matter what. and by that i mean he's not going to return less than a 2nd rounder. and that's pretty much the worst case scenario.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
It sounds like Ferland could be dealt within the next few weeks. That certainly helps our cause in moving Gus, but Panarin and Kreider possibly being available pushes Gus further down the list.

I think there is a deal out there from a desperate team, but it’ll come later in the day on deadline day.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
trading nyquist is the best asset management. then sign this year nyquist in FA or other FA or next year. he should be sold no matter what. and by that i mean he's not going to return less than a 2nd rounder. and that's pretty much the worst case scenario.
Pretty much how I feel...I'm certain a few teams will inquire about his availability - afterall he's a reasonable 2nd line winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad