Wings have interest in Mark Hunter

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
If you legit think Wright has been bad but can say he looks like hes got 4 impact NHLers in his first four drafts, then you shouldnt really be complaining because its way too early to judge at least 2 of those drafts. Youre lucky to get one per draft
The Wings are used to the “one per draft” standard because we used to draft at 25th+. Wright’s first round picks have all been top 20. Keeping the same expectations is why bad teams stay bad.

Wright has one probable bust already (in terms of being an impact player) in Svechnikov, two unproven picks in Cholo and Rasmussen who look ok so far, but have done nothing to seperate themselves from most players taken in their range, and one good pick in Larkin. Outside of the top 20, who have our scouting staff found other than Hronek? Last season looks to be an unmitigated disaster, even as far as none first round picks go. Players like Zabloki and Gallant had huge point drop offs. Im not expecting NHL players from that apot of the draft, but their decline shows our scouting staff missed some stuff, important stuff at that

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If you legit think Wright has been bad but can say he looks like hes got 4 impact NHLers in his first four drafts, then you shouldnt really be complaining because its way too early to judge at least 2 of those drafts. Youre lucky to get one per draft

Wright has a track record to go back to in Columbus as well for those wanting to make arguments. I am surprised it is only being done with the Wings by those that dislike him. It seems like kind of a lazy argument in my opinion. His results with Detroit really just don't have enough time to be examined. He ran Columbus' 2012 and 2013 drafts that have had more time to examine.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The Wings are used to the “one per draft” standard because we used to draft at 25th+. Wright’s first round picks have all been top 20. Keeping the same expectations is why bad teams stay bad.

Wright has one probable bust already (in terms of being an impact player) in Svechnikov, two unproven picks in Cholo and Rasmussen who look ok so far, but have done nothing to seperate themselves from most players taken in their range, and one good pick in Larkin. Outside of the top 20, who have our scouting staff found other than Hronek? Last season looks to be an unmitigated disaster, even as far as none first round picks go. Players like Zabloki and Gallant had huge point drop offs. Im not expecting NHL players from that apot of the draft, but their decline shows our scouting staff missed some stuff, important stuff at that

Rasmussen just had a dominant playoff run in the WHL, and I think that is pretty good, especially considering all the crap he gets, for being drafted 3 or 4 spots "too early"!

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
As to Saarijarvi, he was sent down due to numbers, too many D in GRG. In order to get playing time, he went to Toledo and did great. As soon as Sproul was traded, he returned for the rest of the season. I don't feel it's a skill issue. If anything, it was a year for him to get stronger.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Smith shouldn't be counted out either. After his trade, many accounts had him as the best player on his team in the PO's. Yes he is still raw, but when he puts it together, IMO he can be a 2nd-3rd liner.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Are we assigning all European picks to Andersson? If so, he should probably be shown the door with Wright. He hasn't hit on anything significant in a very, very long time.

i think swedish picks are all on him and those europeans that have been confirmed to be on him by holland or someone else.

and you're correct that he hasn't had a hit for a while but he hasn't really gotten high picks, it's usually been late round flyers. not calling for wright to be canned either though i wouldn't mind at all if that happened.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Are we assigning all European picks to Andersson? If so, he should probably be shown the door with Wright. He hasn't hit on anything significant in a very, very long time.

Gave us our best goalie prospect in the system. Filip Larsson did just post the 2nd best SV% ever in the USHL this year, FWIW.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Wright has a track record to go back to in Columbus as well for those wanting to make arguments. I am surprised it is only being done with the Wings by those that dislike him. It seems like kind of a lazy argument in my opinion. His results with Detroit really just don't have enough time to be examined. He ran Columbus' 2012 and 2013 drafts that have had more time to examine.

i think he ran the '12 draft (might have been co-chief scout with someone else) but when kekäläinen became the GM, his influence decreased and that's why he left.. i think he left/his contract run out but not sure. it seemed to be mutual form what i remember so it probably doesn't matter.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think there's a bit of difference in being called up vs. being sent down. Especially when it's ECHL vs. NHL.
Sure, but it's still 10 games.

We shouldn't have the same expectations as in the past, but keep in mind Wright's first couple of drafts were still as a playoff team. No 2nd round picks in 14 and 15. 19th OA pick, 20th OA pick.. these are not draft positions where you should expect some clear cut star player just 2-3 years after the draft. Like it or not.. a 3rd round pick or later taking 5+ years to develop into an NHLer is NOT something crazy.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I don't expect an All Star per draft. Picking 20th should yield a top 6 forward or a top 4 defenseman more than half the time, though, if you're going to gain any ground on the competition. And from that standpoint, Wright is doing alright.

My gripe is more about what type of players they hope these prospects turn into, which appears to be a philosophy running through much of (if not all of) the front office. Sports are fundamentally entertainment, and I have zero interest in trying to build the next Anaheim, Boston, or San Jose, because that brand of hockey doesn't entertain me in the slightest, win or lose. It's why I didn't want Rasmussen, and I don't want Tkachuk.

Now if my choice is between a power forward that's twice the player that a puck possession forward is, I'm not going to dig my heels in to the point that they fall through the floor. But in general, I'm looking for completely different types of players than who it seems they're targeting.

Reactions: L13

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Drafting late doesn’t work... but re-build on the fly was viable at the same time?

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Drafting late doesn’t work... but re-build on the fly was viable at the same time?

I think it was viable if Holland had made tougher decisions. Instead of re-signing everyone, he needed to be far pickier about who he extended. Then, instead of playing out the season and losing them for nothing, he needed to deal them at the deadline for whatever picks he could pull. He could still go into the following summer and look to sign a UFA to replace whoever he dealt, but if he really wanted to rebuild on the fly, he needed to make up for the drafting late by drafting more often.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I don't expect an All Star per draft. Picking 20th should yield a top 6 forward or a top 4 defenseman more than half the time, though, if you're going to gain any ground on the competition. And from that standpoint, Wright is doing alright.

My gripe is more about what type of players they hope these prospects turn into, which appears to be a philosophy running through much of (if not all of) the front office. Sports are fundamentally entertainment, and I have zero interest in trying to build the next Anaheim, Boston, or San Jose, because that brand of hockey doesn't entertain me in the slightest, win or lose. It's why I didn't want Rasmussen, and I don't want Tkachuk.

Now if my choice is between a power forward that's twice the player that a puck possession forward is, I'm not going to dig my heels in to the point that they fall through the floor. But in general, I'm looking for completely different types of players than who it seems they're targeting.
I love rough, hard hitting hockey, but to each his own I guess.

Reactions: newfy

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think it was viable if Holland had made tougher decisions. Instead of re-signing everyone, he needed to be far pickier about who he extended. Then, instead of playing out the season and losing them for nothing, he needed to deal them at the deadline for whatever picks he could pull. He could still go into the following summer and look to sign a UFA to replace whoever he dealt, but if he really wanted to rebuild on the fly, he needed to make up for the drafting late by drafting more often.

I think most people would fail regardless of whatever strategy they choose to go with. It’s amazing we even did it once.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think most people would fail regardless of whatever strategy they choose to go with. It’s amazing we even did it once.
That's a very kind way to say it. I'd say that it was downright hubris to think it could work a second time, particularly in such a different business/scouting environment.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Probably, but a lot would have depended on how well Holland utilized his resources. The path he took was probably the safest he could take in an attempt to preserve the streak, but it was also the least likely to succeed in bringing in the sort of high end young talent the club needed to start restocking its system.

I'd be curious to see how successful a straight up tear it down, suck for five years, and try to rebuild is versus a club that dips out of the playoffs for a bit, but never really bottoms out. There was an article about the Tigers a couple of months ago when a third of MLB appeared to be tanking, and how it wasn't as successful at producing winning clubs afterward as clubs who stayed "competitive." They were about the same.

Of course, a lot would depend on how you define success here. If it's championship or bust, then you're looking at pretty rough odds for anything.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

It was viable if Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan, Mrazek, etc. ever turned into the players the organization was probably hoping they'd become. Those players never took the next steps Holland talks about.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hmm, he was unavailable until July 15th but that date has passed now.

Interesting note from another discussion:

If he would take a head of Scouting role that would benefit us. Most of Toronto management wanted to take Hanifin over Marner but Hunter held his ground. Currently looks like that was a crucial turning point of their rebuild.

Mark Hunter prefers forwards as top picks before defencemen. I like him.

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016
I am a bit surprised that we haven't heard anything about Mark Hunter. I didn't expect him to sign with a team on the 15th but I definitely would have thought we'd hear some news about teams reaching out etc.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Likely won't hear anything about Hunter until an actual GM spot opens up.

I can't see him taking another AGM job.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So you don't actually agree with BPA, you really just want us to draft forwards.

I liked his skill to see a better player over a Top3 -touted Hanifin. Hanifin has struggled since and Marner has shined.

I remember Leafs fans were giving some critics of that move. And how wrong they were. How wonder, message board did not know better. Now it is wieved somekind of "an organizational change of direction" -decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad