Wings have interest in Mark Hunter

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Wouldn't mind this at all. Let Holland leave on a positive note setting up the foundations for the rebuild and let Hunter see it through.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'll be that guy: what has Mark Hunter done that makes us think he's an upgrade over everybody else available? I'm legitimately unfamiliar with his work. His drafting with Toronto is not so inspiring, though.

He is the man most responsible for the best junior hockey team in the CHL in my opinion. What the Hunter's have built in London is extremely impressive, I believe they are the most valuable CHL franchise.

He is a fabulous talent evaluator that has projected beautifully a bunch of talented players over the years. It would be a very big deal. I have a ton of faith in Mark Hunter. This scenario is almost too good to be true.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
He is the man most responsible for the best junior hockey team in the CHL in my opinion. What the Hunter's have built in London is extremely impressive, I believe they are the most valuable CHL franchise.

He is a fabulous talent evaluator that has projected beautifully a bunch of talented players over the years. It would be a very big deal. I have a ton of faith in Mark Hunter. This scenario is almost too good to be true.
I guess I knew about London, but didn't Mark Hunter go off to Toronto and yet London didn't miss a beat in terms of development and recruitment? Are we sure Mark Hunter drove that bus himself? My understanding is that London is more of a family effort.

I mean, if Mark Hunter is so good, why is Toronto ditching him like this? For a guy who is only medium-proven, to boot.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I guess I knew about London, but didn't Mark Hunter go off to Toronto and yet London didn't miss a beat in terms of development and recruitment? Are we sure Mark Hunter drove that bus himself? My understanding is that London is more of a family effort.

I mean, if Mark Hunter is so good, why is Toronto ditching him like this? For a guy who is only medium-proven, to boot.

Dubas is seen as a Theo Epstein kind of choice in Toronto.

It doesn't mean that both can't be good. It also doesn't mean that Toronto didn't choose the wrong guy. Man would those tears be delicious. :laugh:

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013

Toronto had two great candidates and only one position so this is the result.

Reactions: Ezekial

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Can't we just get the GM of the Halifax Mooseheads? I don't even like Labatt's.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Bring him in! I've been saying it for years, Mark Hunter is best replacement for Holland. Hunter has done tremendous job in London for many years, and results in Toronto doesn't look bad either.

Let Hunter run scouting and drafting for next couple years and then promote him as a GM, and let the cup hunt begin again.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Hunter in, Holland out.

Count me in for that. Holland's exit would be a few years too late but in the end that's peanuts compared to the contributions he's made over his long tenure. Nevertheless, I think it's more than time for fresh blood and new ideas.

Wouldn't be opposed to having Holland in an advisory role for Hunter but if he still wants to be running a franchise power to him in Seattle.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I'll take it, but does CHL success mean anything? On one hand it's no secret that CHL is influenced by economics, and the Wings can't really spend their way out of this. On the other hand, I have a pretty good appreciation for CHL team building. There is rapid turnover, they move tons of draft picks, they really have to rebuild every 3-4 years. That certainly looks good on the resume.

I say give him a shot, I don't know if it's the best move. Kelly McCrimmon? He'd be another good choice, and I think Bill Zito, too.... I would give any of them a shot. (I don't expect anything like that happening for a good 18-24 months minimum)

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Keep in mind that Simmons is Hunter's mouthpiece. This could easily be a case of Hunter using Detroit to leverage another suitor.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If we hire Mark Hunter we will finally have some real clarity about the future direction of this franchise. That would be amazing, also I think he has it in him to be a great success - so even better.

Reactions: njx9

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
don't know much about this guy but anything that both establishes a plan for getting rid of Holland in the near future and ensures that his replacement won't be an internal guy like Martin or Draper sounds good to me

i'd have rather dumped him and gone after Fenton but i'll take what I can get

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'll take it, but does CHL success mean anything? On one hand it's no secret that CHL is influenced by economics, and the Wings can't really spend their way out of this. On the other hand, I have a pretty good appreciation for CHL team building. There is rapid turnover, they move tons of draft picks, they really have to rebuild every 3-4 years. That certainly looks good on the resume.

It's impossible to know. Ten years ago, Ken Holland was THE GM in the NHL with no equal. His resume and pedigree were unmatched. And yet, here we are.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'll be that guy: what has Mark Hunter done that makes us think he's an upgrade over everybody else available? I'm legitimately unfamiliar with his work. His drafting with Toronto is not so inspiring, though.

Its been mentioned but he built by far the best CHL team in the country of the last 20 years. They make playoffs when they rebuild. As far as his drafting goes, he hasnt had time to really have guys pan out except Marner and Dermott is looking good as well.

Hunter is a great hockey mind, and while he may not be completely proven, I would say his track record in junior is likely more impressive than any AGM that would be brought in. At least hes been the guy on those teams.

Hunter is still very involved with London make no mistake and he was always the main guy with building those london teams. I have a friend who works for the Knights and a couple friends who played for them in the past, Hunter is i charge.

And Dubas is being picked because they didnt want a power struggle. Hunter is good enough to be GM but they only have one position. Theyre choosing to go with the 27 year old analytics guy. Toronto doing something doesnt mean it was the right choice either

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Its been mentioned but he built by far the best CHL team in the country of the last 20 years. They make playoffs when they rebuild. As far as his drafting goes, he hasnt had time to really have guys pan out except Marner and Dermott is looking good as well.

Hunter is a great hockey mind, and while he may not be completely proven, I would say his track record in junior is likely more impressive than any AGM that would be brought in. At least hes been the guy on those teams.

Hunter is still very involved with London make no mistake and he was always the main guy with building those london teams. I have a friend who works for the Knights and a couple friends who played for them in the past, Hunter is i charge.

And Dubas is being picked because they didnt want a power struggle. Hunter is good enough to be GM but they only have one position. Theyre choosing to go with the 27 year old analytics guy. Toronto doing something doesnt mean it was the right choice either
If Hunter is even half as good as you guys say, it's a good idea. I'm sold.

Northwing19

Apr 9, 2018
No other CHL team has churned out as many quality NHLers like London since the hunters took over. Would be estatic if Mark Hunter became GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad