Wings have interest in Mark Hunter

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
If the rumors are true that he want's out and will walk for a expansion team in Washington after flat out telling MR I no I will not move up so Stevie can GM this team. Then I have no sympathy for him at all sorry that's just how I feel.

That happened 8 years ago. Let it go. What would that have to do with going to Seattle in 2 years anyway? By that point we are 10 years out from not moving up.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
That happened 8 years ago. Let it go. What would that have to do with going to Seattle in 2 years anyway? By that point we are 10 years out from not moving up.
It's how I feel sorry if you guys don't like it. If he stays and does a good job I will still feel the same way, it was just a bad move in my eyes.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yes, he does seem obsessed with character . His interviews talk about size, character and then skill, in that order. There's an interview with him where he said you would be happy to have Rasmussen dating your daughter, thats great if hes on the bachelor. Big Ras is looking to be a decent player but that draft is looking really poor just after one year.

Funny how in Kyle Dubas interview he was high on character when looking players, building a core.

But when Tyler Wright talks about character, it must be bad.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If the rumors are true that he want's out and will walk for a expansion team in Washington after flat out telling MR I no I will not move up so Stevie can GM this team. Then I have no sympathy for him at all sorry that's just how I feel.

You can feel however you want, just seems a bit drastic to not only hope for him to be replaced but for him to fail miserably at whatever he does afterwards. I mean, you might want to ruin your neighbor's flower bed because it's over the property line, but you don't really have to salt the earth on top of it. And if Ilitch really wanted to go with Yzerman at that point, he could have just fired Holland. Holland was given a choice, but in the end the real decision was Ilitch's.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He is another team player that was forced out by KH.
Who would've either gotten the GM position or moved on either way.

Also kinda ridiculous to expect him to just stop doing what he loves near the height of his domain in his early 50s because you want him to.

Hell Mark Hunter is 55 trying to become a first time gm.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Can't wait the day when Holland leaves and takes rest of the Red Wings good scouts in Seattle with him.

Outside of Round 1
2014 Draft - Bust
2015 Draft - Bust

Yeah, let's hold on to these scouts for dear life!

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Turgeon has potential to be a good 3/4 center.

Axel would likely have been a good pick, but tough to predict two knee surgeries.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
personally i've hated Wright ever since after the draft last year when he gave that interview and mentioned "character" like 10 times in 2 minutes when talking about why he wanted Rasmussen

made it abundantly clear that he's just flat out obsessed with "character" to an uncomfortable degree,definitely not something I want in someone with that much influence over the teams drafting

I am not sure it will make a bunch of people feel any better, but what if I told you the Wings room believed Michael Rasmussen had the most homerun potential on the board when they took him. Because I have heard that from people I trust around the team. Rasmussen had their highest grade and highest potential ceiling when they went to the podium so they took him... They think he has a really good chance of hitting it because he has phenomenal work ethic in terms of character.

But people here need to stop thinking the Wings had players graded higher than Rasmussen they didn't, that was a trust in their board selection. Disagree with their assessment if you like. But they took the player they did because they think he is the best player and projects to be the biggest impact player in the future. Not just because he has high character but because he has a ton of skill, it was on display when he was bombing the WHL playoffs this year.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You can feel however you want, just seems a bit drastic to not only hope for him to be replaced but for him to fail miserably at whatever he does afterwards. I mean, you might want to ruin your neighbor's flower bed because it's over the property line, but you don't really have to salt the earth on top of it. And if Ilitch really wanted to go with Yzerman at that point, he could have just fired Holland. Holland was given a choice, but in the end the real decision was Ilitch's.

I don't think Seattle is in the picture if Mike Ilitch is in his 70s and alive right now. Just my opinion, but I don't think Holland is leaving Mike or Marian if they were still in charge.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Character plays a huge part in success.

I think character played a part in why they chose Cholowski.

But, it has always been a knock on AA and Mantha long before their draft. Maybe things changed after these two.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
What is so great on Mark Hunter's drafting record between 2015-2017 he affected to Leafs drafting?

Toronto Maple Leafs Draft History at hockeydb.com

Getting Matthews at #1 and picking his own guy Marner at #4 were no-brainers.

I like this Hunter-idea in general, but it's funny how's there's no proof of any special drafting abilities vs. NHL drafts (I know his good record in London, but that's junior hockey) and people are praising him to be the next God and throwing Tyler Wringt under the bus.

Marner wasnt a no brainer there. If I'm not mistaken one of the other maple leafs front office guys wanted Hanifin. Hunter has just always been considered a great talent evaluator. He found so many guys with London in later rounds that he turned into top OHL players/Champions. Its not the NHL level, but he probably has the best resume of any non-current GM in the league that is yet to be one

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Marner wasnt a no brainer there. If I'm not mistaken one of the other maple leafs front office guys wanted Hanifin. Hunter has just always been considered a great talent evaluator. He found so many guys with London in later rounds that he turned into top OHL players/Champions. Its not the NHL level, but he probably has the best resume of any non-current GM in the league that is yet to be one

Well Mike Babcock did... I mean he isn't technically a front office guy.

Hughes Hefner

May 12, 2018
I am not sure it will make a bunch of people feel any better, but what if I told you the Wings room believed Michael Rasmussen had the most homerun potential on the board when they took him. Because I have heard that from people I trust around the team. Rasmussen had their highest grade and highest potential ceiling when they went to the podium so they took him... They think he has a really good chance of hitting it because he has phenomenal work ethic in terms of character.

But people here need to stop thinking the Wings had players graded higher than Rasmussen they didn't, that was a trust in their board selection. Disagree with their assessment if you like. But they took the player they did because they think he is the best player and projects to be the biggest impact player in the future. Not just because he has high character but because he has a ton of skill, it was on display when he was bombing the WHL playoffs this year.
That's because there scouting director and head scout have a western Canada bias, There both based there.doesn't help Holland is a BC boy to.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That's because there scouting director and head scout have a western Canada bias, There both based there.doesn't help Holland is a BC boy to.

The Wings get to see plenty of the other conferences. If you think the professionals don't know a lot about the first round guys in this day and age I don't know what to tell you. It is unlikely, they have taken those two guys sure. They also have gone to the Q, USMNTDP as well. In particular we see a lot of Windsor, Saginaw, Flint, Sarnia, London and the USMNTDP. They are right in our backyard.

They have meetings where these guys are argued for passionately. Holland has been scouting a lot more too this year so that could be an interesting wrinkle in terms of one of the brightest at it historically, is again planted in his scouting roots for longer this time and it was a part of the vision he pitched to Chris Ilitch.

I don't think we are picking guys because they are from BC. They were the best players on our board and I see nothing in Cholowski or Rasmussen that really disappoints me. The WHL is weak for this year for the top selections, but it could play into our lower round picks. Lots good players in Western Canada, I hope we get them from everywhere which has sort of been the case for a little while.

What the Wings really do in my opinion is go to areas they think are being under scouted. When Slovakia and Czech were struggling we were targeting there, NCAA guys at some points. They are a moving target and that is something Devellano and Holland clearly believe in it would seem. But I think that is hard to do in the modern NHL. Scouting has come a long way in the last couple of decades in my opinion.

Reactions: NickH8 and Winger98

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Outside of Round 1
2014 Draft - Bust
2015 Draft - Bust

Yeah, let's hold on to these scouts for dear life!
Because 3rd round and later picks never take more than ~3 years to develop right?

At the very least Turgeon, Saarijarvi, Pearson and Holway probably still have some potential. In ’14 we got Larkin and a kid that set the U20 SEL playoff scoring record before having a couple of knee surgeries. Terrible...

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Wait, so you're telling me that the Wings took the player they had ranked highest on their board because they think he has high end character AND high end talent potential? You are out of your mind! /s

On the original topic, I don't care if they want to bring in someone as qualified as Mark Hunter or someone as self-righteously qualified (but completely unqualified) as myself, as long as the organization trusts them. Building a brain trust and getting different perspectives on the same group of prospects, or the state of the team, can only help reaffirm what KH and company already know to be fact, good or bad, or it will expose things that they were unaware of or not considering before. The key will be avoiding group think; anyone brought on should have a certain level of autonomy to formulate their own opinions and not feel the pressure to align with others in the organization just because.

For Hunter specifically, if the plan truly is to bring him in as the heir apparent, you better believe that he is being grilled from day one as if he were taking over the reigns next year. If we decide to bring him on, I have nothing but high expectations.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Tyler Wright hasnt been bad not sure why so many dont like him. But having him as the second guy to Hunter would definitely be a good thing. Two experienced guys who have a history of scouting working together would be good for a rebuild

Our last draft really soured my view on him. And I like Rasmussen. Besides Hronek, who has he drafted past the first round that has a shot of playing 200+ games in the NHL? Maybe Lindstrom? If Turgeon does, it will be as a 4th liner

In 4 drafts he has picked a whopping 4 players who will probably be impact NHLers.

It’s not unfair to say that as of now he has drafted 4 players in 4 drafts that project to be above average NHLers, 3 of which were top 20 picks

Last edited:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Our last draft really soured my view on him. And I like Rasmussen. Besides Hronek, who has he drafted past the first round that has a shot of playing 200+ games in the NHL? Maybe Lindstrom? If Turgeon does, it will be as a 4th liner

In 4 drafts he has picked a whopping 4 players who will probably be impact NHLers.

It’s not unfair to say that as of now he has drafted 4 players in 4 drafts that project to be above average NHLers, 3 of which were top 20 picks

How many impact players do you expect them to pull out of each draft?

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
This is coming solely from Simmons? Yea, I'll need to see this coming from someone else before I get even the slightest bit interested.

Simmons is at the very bottom of the pile of accredited media guys for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad