Wings have interest in Mark Hunter

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Likely won't hear anything about Hunter until an actual GM spot opens up.

I can't see him taking another AGM job.

I thought the assumption was that the Wings would hire him with the clear intention of him taking Holland's job in a few years when Holland is expected to go to Seattle.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He sides with whatever our FO's current strategy is :laugh:

Start a thread and prove us all statistically how drafting a need over BPA has lead to Stanley Cups.

And make a special case of situations where the need has been a defenceman.

And then also opposite cases.

Who is the first not shit-talker who will give this data to us?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I thought the assumption was that the Wings would hire him with the clear intention of him taking Holland's job in a few years when Holland is expected to go to Seattle.

You're thinking of Steve Yzerman.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I am not buying Holland leaving based on what's been said in the news. I mean he is a great choice but I still think he is bumped upstairs. If Hunter is hired, either could happen. If he is not hired, the DRW have a history of hiring within so it would be very interesting to me to see what happens.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I am not buying Holland leaving based on what's been said in the news. I mean he is a great choice but I still think he is bumped upstairs. If Hunter is hired, either could happen. If he is not hired, the DRW have a history of hiring within so it would be very interesting to me to see what happens.

I just assume the only reason for Hunter to come on board is that he'd be getting Holland's job. You're right, though. If he's not hired, and Holland moves out of the GM chair in one form or another, it'll be interesting to see who gets the nod. I have to think Draper and Wright would be the favorites.

Reactions: kliq

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I just assume the only reason for Hunter to come on board is that he'd be getting Holland's job. You're right, though. If he's not hired, and Holland moves out of the GM chair in one form or another, it'll be interesting to see who gets the nod. I have to think Draper and Wright would be the favorites.

Draper would for sure be the favourite for the job internally. I dont think Wright would even get real consideration. Draper is in the role Holland had Yzerman in befor ehe left for Tampa. Theyre grooming him

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

I think there's a possiblity that Hunter could be interested about the Seattle job too, and then Red Wings option will be extending Holland.

Reactions: waltdetroit

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016

Regardless what the assumptions are, I think its NHL GM job or bust for Hunter right now. He parted ways with the Leafs pretty quickly after it was clear that Dubas was the guy. I really can't see him wanting to potentially have the rug pulled out from him, so to speak, again, no matter how big the promises are made during any interviews.

Its not like his phone will be silent when GM jobs open up. He'll be one of, if not, the first to get a call.

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit
Don’t have time to wade through the thread but I’ve heard nothing but good things about Hunter. If his history in Toronto is any indication of what he’d do in Detroit then I’m all for it.

Plus, he has a fun/unfortunate name that we could all enjoy for years to come.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Good article with some more info on this situation:

Custance: What a team would get in Mark Hunter and why it's...

“The ideal situation would be to be a GM of an NHL team,” Hofford said, in evaluating Hunter’s next steps. “He’s more than capable of doing that. Or it’s a situation that morphs into that over time. He has responsibilities with an assistant GM that guarantees he moves into a GM job. … That is something I think he’d be interested in.”

This really is our scenario, if Kenny is going to Seattle. I don't know about other organizations, but we could offer exactly that.

“This is a mammoth business and the guy is in a unique position. Not only has he acquired a lot of wealth through land acquisition through his farms, he put together the most profitable junior team in the history of the CHL,” Hofford said. “He’s already ran every aspect of a hockey business and with great success. If you’re actually saying, what do you want in a GM and you have to check all these boxes, he would be one of the few guys who understands all of it.”

And this Hofford on the article was Lindsay Hofford, who has worked 15 years with Hunter. Joined Arizona Coyotes management at this summer.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Good article with some more info on this situation:

Custance: What a team would get in Mark Hunter and why it's...
I just got around to reading that article. It makes it pretty clear - to me anyways - that the Wings are going to promote someone from within, probably Draper but possibly Fischer. I'm not entirely thrilled about that but I also don't want to be critical of the guy who ultimately gets the job. It could work out, it's simply a bit sobering that a franchise with the history and financial wherewithal Detroit has would promote someone who has never held the title before. Furthermore there's no one who really stands out as being the best in the league at what they do. For instance Ryan Martin has bungled the cap in spectacular fashion, which should hopefully prevent him from being under consideration. There's simply a whole lot of mediocrity with the entire front office over the past 10 years with regard to building a competitor. Lots of talent going out the door and never being replaced.

Oh well, hopefully it will work out.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I just got around to reading that article. It makes it pretty clear - to me anyways - that the Wings are going to promote someone from within, probably Draper but possibly Fischer. I'm not entirely thrilled about that but I also don't want to be critical of the guy who ultimately gets the job. It could work out, it's simply a bit sobering that a franchise with the history and financial wherewithal Detroit has would promote someone who has never held the title before. Furthermore there's no one who really stands out as being the best in the league at what they do. For instance Ryan Martin has bungled the cap in spectacular fashion, which should hopefully prevent him from being under consideration. There's simply a whole lot of mediocrity with the entire front office over the past 10 years with regard to building a competitor. Lots of talent going out the door and never being replaced.

If Martin gets the job I'll be furious but its hard to say what Draper would do with the job. Hes had some input on some good draft picks (Bertuzzi was his guy) and hes ridiculously competitive. Who does stand out as best in the league at what they do and then gets hired somewhere else? The best GMs in the league wont be available so its hard to say. Draper could be asbolutely pathetic or he could be like Yzerman and become a really, really good GM. Holland seemed to do a good job getting Yzerman ready for the role maybe hes done the same with Draper

Reactions: Frk It

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Originally I was against the idea of Draper, but I would be willing to give him a shot. He seems like he has a good head on his shoulders when I listen to him talk. Also based on his willingness to go to bat for Bertuzzi, guy isn’t opposed to taking risks.

I agree with newfy though, if we promote Ryan Martin I’ll be pissed as hell.

Reactions: Ezekial

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Mike Augello reports:
Mark Hunter will not be joining another NHL club this season, as the former Leafs Assistant GM will resume management duties of the OHL London Knights.

Hunter chose to resign from the Leafs in June after not being selected over Kyle Dubas following Lou Lamoriello’s departure from Toronto, but his return to the Knights was not surprising with no vacant GM positions in the league.

HockeyBuzz.com - Mike Augello - Does Larkin deal give Nylander more leverage???

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Mike Augello reports:
Mark Hunter will not be joining another NHL club this season, as the former Leafs Assistant GM will resume management duties of the OHL London Knights.

Hunter chose to resign from the Leafs in June after not being selected over Kyle Dubas following Lou Lamoriello’s departure from Toronto, but his return to the Knights was not surprising with no vacant GM positions in the league.

HockeyBuzz.com - Mike Augello - Does Larkin deal give Nylander more leverage???

I think they like to respect existing contracts. At next summer, Holland will be entering on his last year, and this Seattle scenario will be nearer. Then Wings and Hunter will start exploring open vacancies. It's just how the negotiation process goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad