Rumor: Wings had offer on the table for Barzal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Well, Zadina is on a top line now, Erne's been there... And those moves have been done by a professional coach. Suter is better than both those guys.

An... idk what you achieve signing Malkin. You aren't winning anything and are too good to be serious about the lottery and he's too old to build around long-term.
You achieve watchable hockey without long term salary commitment. Erne and Zadina are top line wingers only on a cellar team, as is Suter. Add Edvinsson and another LHD and you have a wildcard team.

It just gives the fans something to watch while the 2022 1st round pick develops into an NHL level center.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Barzal is an absolute puck hound. Pick pocket. Not good on faceoffs. That’s fine. Centers don’t have to take faceoffs. Barry Trotz doesn’t allow for certain guys to play to their strengths. See MSL recent comments when he took over the Habs and see Caufields increase in production. Systems and coaches can absolutely affect a players point totals. Thinking And not understanding that Barzal is 10X the player today than he was his rookie season is laughable.

Also, that 85 point season was Barzal “putting up a lot of high-end, borderline elite metrics on a bad team, with no help.”

Tavares and Barzal didn’t play together on a line.
10 times better? In best case he could be twice as good of a player, but as he regressed how can he be better? If he was twice as good now but not 10 he would have scored 3 goals instead of 12.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Oof the Barzal disrespect in here is hard to sift through. Seems like there's a lot of people looking at point totals and not watching games, I'd wager. We just got through this shit with Larkin proposals on the trade boards, you'd think we would understand the kind of BS rhetoric of kicking a guy when he's having an off year.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Oof the Barzal disrespect in here is hard to sift through. Seems like there's a lot of people looking at point totals and not watching games, I'd wager. We just got through this shit with Larkin proposals on the trade boards, you'd think we would understand the kind of BS rhetoric of kicking a guy when he's having an off year.
Yeah, someone just told me they're(Red Wings) better off signing Malkin short-term, drafting a random C at 12 and then hope he develops vs making a move for Barzal and going with Larkin/Barzal combo at C.

So, idk, everyone has opinions. I'm just posting on the internet.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yeah, someone just told me they're(Red Wings) better off signing Malkin short-term, drafting a random C at 12 and then hope he develops vs making a move for Barzal and going with Larkin/Barzal combo at C.

Whistle! 2 minutes interference for opinion!

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

It's not like the team is going to get Barzal for free, whereas Malkin doesn't cost any assets at all. So yes, they would be better off. I mean seriously, what is Barzal gonna cost?

Complete strawman argument, and you are absolutely wrong.

Edit: Also the Wings are 9th from bottom right now.

Last edited:

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Mat Barzal is absolutely a better player now than he was as a rookie. That aside, Steve Y very well might have tossed the Islanders a serious offer for Barzal. I'm sure that happens a lot for many young players on every team in the NHL, it does not mean said player is available. The Islanders recent moves say that they have every intention on contending next year and beyond. You don't trade your marquee 24 year old player when you intend on competing... and nothing points toward Barzal being unhappy. This is just a weird rumor that somehow got legs.

Reactions: WangMustGo

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Barzal is only 2 points behind Nelson for team lead in points.

Look at the Islanders roster, they don't have offensive players, haven't in years. Not saying they aren't good players but let's be realistic. If anyone here thinks Barzal isn't a 70+ point player in decent circumstances you haven't seen the kid play enough. He would thrive with creative players. Is he McDavid or Crosby? No. But the Wings would be in great shape having him and Larkin down the middle. We have much better offensive players at the top of our lineup than the Islanders.

I like our chances of filling a winger gap via free agency one of these upcoming seasons than finding a center or defensemen.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Mat Barzal is absolutely a better player now than he was as a rookie. That aside, Steve Y very well might have tossed the Islanders a serious offer for Barzal. I'm sure that happens a lot for many young players on every team in the NHL, it does not mean said player is available. The Islanders recent moves say that they have every intention on contending next year and beyond. You don't trade your marquee 24 year old player when you intend on competing... and nothing points toward Barzal being unhappy. This is just a weird rumor that somehow got legs.
HFBoards is all about unsubstantiated rumors.

The one thing about Stevie is that he is an adept trader with an extremely good track record. If there was a deal for Barzal or any other player that would have made this team better, then Stevie would have done the deal. That would leave me to believe that there were no deals to be made, at least none that made this team better, aside from selling playoff rentals.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
For the Barzal regression crowd. Hope you guys are watching this DET NYI game. This first period is literally Barzal. Possession monster. Rated statistically as the best zone entry player in the NHL (McDavid is #2)

He draws defenders to him and he finds his teammates and gives them great opportunities to score. He makes many great passes a game. His teammates usually let him down and don’t score on the chances he sets for them. Barzal is an elite talent and if you’re just stay watching you’re not understanding the whole story

Last edited:
Reactions: PullHard

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Barzal would be our best player instantly and only Seider could match or surpass him based on who we have on our team and in our prospect cupboard IMO

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Yeah guys Barzal is really shit. Definitely on the downward spiral.

Looks like the best player on the Ice tonight from either team to me.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Lmao you guys watch one game and act like Barzal is the second coming of Christ. Newsflash guys, when the isles have a bad game just like we just did, Barzal often looks like shit too. He is a great player but he is not worth the prices some people are saying here
Jesus this board is so absurdly reactionary to single games

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Lmao you guys watch one game and act like Barzal is the second coming of Christ. Newsflash guys, when the isles have a bad game just like we just did, Barzal often looks like shit too. He is a great player but he is not worth the prices some people are saying here
Yup, first game. You caught us. Your so smart

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Yup, first game. You caught us. Your so smart
Sure you may watch him a lot. Just saying that one admittedly fantastic game from Barzal doesn’t warrant a bunch of gotcha posts acting like the rest of us are calling him trash. He’s a great player but he is not currently a PPG Center. His value is in accordance with rhat fact

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Not at all. Barzal is does this every game. His rush and pass to wahlstrom on the goal he does that a few times a game. His teammates just suck at finishing. He’s constantly a threat. Greiss made 2 saves on 2 Barzal scoring chances. He’s constantly controlling the puck and making plays. This is what he does. Defenders go crazy chasing him around the offensive zone.

You can continue to look at point totals and think it tells the entire story but that would be negligible

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Sure you may watch him a lot. Just saying that one admittedly fantastic game from Barzal doesn’t warrant a bunch of gotcha posts acting like the rest of us are calling him trash. He’s a great player but he is not currently a PPG Center. His value is in accordance with rhat fact

I wouldn’t even call this a “great game from him”

Reactions: 14ari13

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
If there is no sign of progress next season, Wings need to trade Larkin and Bert and hit the reset button. It is what it is. Ideally the rebuild is finished by 2027-2028.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
It's not like the team is going to get Barzal for free, whereas Malkin doesn't cost any assets at all. So yes, they would be better off. I mean seriously, what is Barzal gonna cost?

Complete strawman argument, and you are absolutely wrong.

Edit: Also the Wings are 9th from bottom right now.

Again, you don't know what opinions are, you are welcome to yours... And that's all the bolded is... but 2 years of Malkin does nothing, NOTHING for this franchise while a trade for Barzal no matter the cost sets up a rebuild properly with young talent.

Your agenda driven dream of adding Malkin is just the same as mine with Barzal, (a dream).

I didn't give you straw man argument, you just don't wanna hear it. Idk what your goal is but Malkin doens't help build a Stanley cup team, and a Barzal trade absolutely does. Maybe not year 1 or even 2.... but yeah you've got chances at cup runs with Barzal vs Malkin's+random C prospects timeline.

Your straw-man arguments are some random prospect(that you don't even bother to name cause you don't know if they're good or will even be there with our pick), 2 years of nothing with Malkin(you aren't competing for Stanley cups), and upset over a dude on a 1st line that's easily replaceable. lol. You... have all the straw here scarecrow.

Like I get Barzals not exactly an option... but man... to get rebuttled with Malkin/Random C prospect/ and no top LEFT Winger. K. Good points. We can agree to disagree at this point though I think. Neither of us are impressed with the other. I'm not saying your stupid or anything either, just I disagree with you completely, is all. I see you post, I know you're not dumb, it's ok to have different ideas. Same type of convo's happen in front offices all the time, you like Malkin/draft. I like the idea of Barzal/Larkin/Raymond/Seider/Edvinsson as rebuild core.

Last edited:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I will sum up what I saw in this game. Only this game. No other games.

Barzal was probably one of the best or the best player on the ice in period 1.
He was invisible in period 2 and 3.
I believe also that 2 prolonged shifts in their zone he was on the ice. He and his line could not get out of the zone.

The question is who had the most impact on the game, Hronek, Greiss and Nedeljkovic with their bad plays or Barzal with his 3 rushes up the ice. I believe Trotz used his vs Veleno a rookie who has played 40ish NHL games.

It is also important to say they have been a .600 team last 2 months while we .300.

It is one game, but he is not far from his 12 goals. Both Larkin and Bertuzzi are 25+

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad