Rumor: Wings had offer on the table for Barzal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Not sure how we missed this yesterday, but Arthur Staple of The Athletic tweeted that the Wings had a fair deal on the table for Barzal:

He was replying to an account that's now private, which is why the tweets won't show up.

Maybe this is a deal we see get done this summer -- have to assume it was Bertuzzi going the other way.

Reactions: iDangleDangle

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Fair according to who? Apparently not them.

Not sure what I am supposed to take from this. Would have been over the moon to add Barzal, though.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Have to think it was Bertuzzi and Veleno/Rasmussen/Zadina going the other way with maybe a some picks thrown in.

Barzal (or any young 2C) would be a huge addition for the rebuild. Your core is Larkin, Barzal, Raymond, Seider, and hopefully Edvinsson and Cossa going forward. Vrana, Fabbri, and Berggren fill out the rest of the top six.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
For those who felt Yzerman seemed more aggravated than usual in yesterday's presser, maybe this was the reason.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I don't know what a fair deal for Barzal would be, those guys don't get traded. Closest was maybe Laine for Dubois (two guys with RFA expiry status). Detroit has no one like that which makes me think it was Bertuzzi + (or possibly Larkin +).

Reactions: Hinterland

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
I don't know what a fair deal for Barzal would be, those guys don't get traded. Closest was maybe Laine for Dubois (two guys with RFA expiry status). Detroit has no one like that which makes me think it was Bertuzzi + (or possibly Larkin +).
Wouldn’t be Larkin. It would have been Bert +. Maybe Bert + this years 1st and someone like Ras/Veleno.

Reactions: izlez

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Barzal hasnt been the same guy that he was in his 85 point rookie year, but he would still be a huge add as a second line center. If you think you would have to give up Larkin + more stuff, youre overvaluing him. Hes fast but fairly soft. Having a work horse like Larkin though would kinda balance that out

I wouldnt be surprised if it was Bertuzzi plus some other stuff added. Hopefully Yzerman does it in the summer

Reactions: 14ari13

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Wouldn’t be Larkin. It would have been Bert +. Maybe Bert + this years 1st and someone like Ras/Veleno.
I just don't get how that would be fair to be honest. You don't trade 24 year old star centers for that, even if you have to qualify them at 10 million dollars in a year.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
OK, full daydreaming time now.

Assuming the below would not be part of the trade, there could be a top six of:

Raymond - Larkin - XXX
Vrana - Barzal - XXX

And I'd hope that Berggren would eventually take one of those remaining spots, with the other up for grabs. But that's a legit top 6!!! Then add Edvinsson in the mix on defense, hopefully find a way to add at least one other blueliner, and it's at minimum a noticeable step forward next season.

Please let this not also fall into the, "We're Not Allowed to Have Nice Things" category...

Reactions: simonedvinsson

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I just don't get how that would be fair to be honest. You don't trade 24 year old star centers for that, even if you have to qualify them at 10 million dollars in a year.

Barzal isnt some major star though. Hes kinda stagnated and his somewhat soft play has started to annoy some Isles fans for sure. Lou Lamirello is the exact type of oldschool hockey guy that trades a guy like that if he doesnt like how soft he is

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Barzal isnt some major star though. Hes kinda stagnated and his somewhat soft play has started to annoy some Isles fans for sure. Lou Lamirello is the exact type of oldschool hockey guy that trades a guy like that if he doesnt like how soft he is
I don't know man I think red wings fans are salivating in this thread and getting carried away with fantasies at this point. I'll eject the thread and let Islanders fans step in and share how they would feel about trading Barzal for Bertuzzi, a 1st in this draft (should be high pick but the consensus is the draft is weak), and a prospect (Probably a B-level in your imagination).

MAYBE if the 1st had no lottery protection it makes sense. Yzerman rolling the dice here a bit, but even Shane Wright doesn't seem like a huge prize at this point in time tbh.

Edit: my bad didn't realize this was the Red Wings board, oh well that's my opinion as a devils fan

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I don't know man I think red wings fans are salivating in this thread and getting carried away with fantasies at this point. I'll eject the thread and let Islanders fans step in and share how they would feel about trading Barzal for Bertuzzi, a 1st in this draft (should be high pick but the consensus is the draft is weak), and a prospect (Probably a B-level in your imagination).

MAYBE if the 1st had no lottery protection it makes sense. Yzerman rolling the dice here a bit, but even Shane Wright doesn't seem like a huge prize at this point in time tbh.
Lou should be fired if he traded Barzal for Bertuzzi + DET's 1st.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
I mean, I wouldn't hate it if it were Bert+ if Barzal could be a consistent 60 pt 2C guy. But I have my doubts it'd happen here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino