Rumor: Wings had offer on the table for Barzal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
We know the Islander's coach. Could Barzal put up another 20+ points per year somewhere else? I think it's plausible.

Maybe, but he's not that on the Isles. And if Trotz's system puts that much of a value on D and gimps production, would it be better to bump Nelson and Pageau up a spot, get a haul for Barzal, and invest that cap elsewhere on the team?

I'm not trying to bag on Barzal here. I've seen guys like Yzerman, Fedorov, Zetterberg, and Datsyuk play under Bowman and Babcock. Those centers were great defensively and still got their points in those systems. If you're looking at spending $8+ million on a guy, I think you want him to get his points and be fit the system.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I figure Larkin one for one is somewhat fair. Barzal is a little younger and has the higher offensive ceiling, but Larkin is better now and will always be better defensively.
I’m just not sure why Isles want to trade Barzal in the first place. They could be selling low on him if it’s anything less than a Larkin type. If they do move him it seems they should target a legit C back in the deal, unless Seider is on the table (which we all know is a very enthusiastic NOPE from Detroit.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Maybe, but he's not that on the Isles. And if Trotz's system puts that much of a value on D and gimps production, would it be better to bump Nelson and Pageau up a spot, get a haul for Barzal, and invest that cap elsewhere on the team?

I'm not trying to bag on Barzal here. I've seen guys like Yzerman, Fedorov, Zetterberg, and Datsyuk play under Bowman and Babcock. Those centers were great defensively and still got their points in those systems. If you're looking at spending $8+ million on a guy, I think you want him to get his points and be fit the system.
Fedorov often got about 60-70 points instead of 100 points.
I've often wondered how many points Datsyuk could have had.
I don't really know.
I think both guys could have achieved more offense in less restrictive systems.

It's interesting to me that Nelson leads the team with 42 points.
They're definitely playing low-event hockey on the Island.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I figure Larkin + would be the starter. I’m just not sure why Isles want to trade Barzal in the first place. If they do move him they’ll want a legit C back in the deal, unless Seider is on the table (which we all know is a hard NOPE).

Honestly, the more, and more, I think on this, I'm willing to bet the NYI will want to wait till draft night if they move Barzal. They might of had a solid offer with that 1st rdp pick involved, just didn't bite yet with the uncertainty of where it'd stand. ( top 10 or not. )

Reactions: mazmin

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hmm almost 10 years after Ricelund gets people's hopes up for Ryan Suter, back to do the same with Matt Barzal...

roosch-bossanova.gif

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
I haven't really seen this rumor reported anywhere else and Staples hasn't really expanded on it. I'm sort of skeptical of its accuracy now.

Not to mention that Lou and SFY are probably the two most tight-lipped gms (and staff) in the league. This does smell a little fishy.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Totally cool with manifesting this trade from now through the whole off-season.
I do have one manifest destiny Pick on my ledger. Sebastian Cossa. I went ham in on the pick after 6. Obviously 6 would have been too high, but I wanted a goalie and I didn’t particularly care for Wallstedt. At least over a 6’6” athletic beast

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I do have one manifest destiny Pick on my ledger. Sebastian Cossa. I went ham in on the pick after 6. Obviously 6 would have been too high, but I wanted a goalie and I didn’t particularly care for Wallstedt. At least over a 6’6” athletic beast

He's going to make Luongo look like a small, awkward child.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
If we're pitching for Barzal, we're telling the world that the pieces are in place and that we're ready to climb out of the basement, but if we trade Edvinsson away, I don't see how we can make that argument. We could probably squeeze get back into the playoffs, sure, but we wouldn't have the depth to make a serious run. Granted, I'm pretty attached to Edvinsson's potential, but I think he's an integral piece to our rebuild and wouldn't be willing to trade him. I'd tell the Islanders they can pick up to four assets including:
  • One roster player (excluding: Larkin, Seider, Raymond, Bertuzzi)
  • Up to four prospects (excluding: Edvinsson)
  • Up to three first rounders with no lottery protections
They could get some decent hauls out of that:
  • Vrana, Berggren, Wallinder, 2023 1st
  • Hronek, 2022 1st, 2023 1st, and 2024 1st
  • Zadina, Johansson, 2023 1st, 2024 1st
I don't think they'd go for any of those packages though unless Barzal demands a trade. They're rebuilding, true, but Barzal should be a part of that rebuild, and they'd be digging a significant hole for themselves if they give him up.

Having said all of that, I seriously doubt there was ever a deal on the table, or at least, not one that both teams would've been all that interested in.

Last edited:

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Welcome come on, Say something then! 🧙‍♂️

We/Me/I/They need help to make this happen, just high on hope right now but you've got a proven track-record for this type of thing.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Welcome come on, Say something then! 🧙‍♂️

We/Me/I/They need help to make this happen, just high on hope right now but you've got a proven track-record for this type of thing.

Come on, you know you can’t have it happen on command. The desire sensor is real. Start asking for it too early and it won’t happen. Just like how in an RPG, you’re hunting for a specific item, it’ll never drop. But you run out of heals, you all of a sudden get that unavoidable “f*** your ass” fight about two steps away from the castle.

Reactions: jkutswings
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad